Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I find OEM parts for blacking out my truck?

UglyViking

Reaction score
As the title states I'm trying to black out my truck, I know CJC and a few others have done it but with so many different models not everything is 1:1 and at least so far I've not found out how I can go about this. I'm trying to find the grille for the night package with the front cam mount but can't seem to find the options. I imagine that the other black trim pieces are the same, although I've not been able to locate the rear ram logo either. Is there a website or reference for this? It would be cool if I could find parts for a given package, or enter a vin with a matching package and buy those parts.

dragon_ram

Reaction score
Use a VIN for a night edition and plug that into a parts website. Issue I’m having is seeing 6-8 part numbers for the same part and no description on the difference (example, for the mirror housing)...

A VIN for “night edition” - 3C6UR5NLXKG685265

UglyViking

Reaction score
Use a VIN for a night edition and plug that into a parts website. Issue I’m having is seeing 6-8 part numbers for the same part and no description on the difference (example, for the mirror housing)...

A VIN for “night edition” - 3C6UR5NLXKG685265
Right, I should have clarified. I typed in a few of the parts numbers from the cjc video as an example and none of them had any mention of black, dark, night edition, etc. How do techs know they are ordering the right replacement part?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Fred_Cage

Reaction score
The VIN as dragon suggested is the best way. I spent almost 10 years in a Chrysler parts department and that's how we did it. More than likely there would be a trim code associated to the night edition parts that would allow you to tell them apart form others. May be easiest to deal with a dealer.

.genomer

Reaction score
I second what Fred and Dragon suggested. Went through the same issues when retro fitting my Laramie with Bighorn fogs and Baja Designs.

With this being my first American made vehicle and coming from the Euro-sphere, I've never seen such a horrible part numbering system. The laziness and lack of forethought escapes me. The least FCA could have done was add sublettering to their "same part" deviations. Most companies run a similar system to VIN decoding. First number would be manufacturer branch, followed by vehicle, then model, then sub model, etc...

Use the CJC part numbers provided in the subsection of their youTube video, then utilize a VIN from your model vehicle with a Night Edition package. If the one above does not work, I suggest Cargurus and a quick search of Ram trucks. That site readily displays VIN numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread