Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hood Paint Issues

Ruffone

Reaction score
I just noticed the other day that I am getting bubbling paint on the hood of my 2019 Ram 2500 in 3 separate locations. It looks like what you see when the body panel is rusting under the paint, it’s definitely odd since our hoods are aluminum. Anyone else having this issue?

Attachments

• 04FDBC40-0981-4005-9CB5-7129A1213B8D.jpeg
    04FDBC40-0981-4005-9CB5-7129A1213B8D.jpeg
    236.6 KB · Views: 94
  • 3F6DB6E2-09C3-4468-A103-4DAF2FCE74A9.jpeg
    3F6DB6E2-09C3-4468-A103-4DAF2FCE74A9.jpeg
    265.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 41312BCC-F37F-47C6-9230-E8BC9FD1F59B.jpeg
    41312BCC-F37F-47C6-9230-E8BC9FD1F59B.jpeg
    258.4 KB · Views: 83
  • 327687FC-C280-4000-AEB1-F3AA221E2DF4.jpeg
    327687FC-C280-4000-AEB1-F3AA221E2DF4.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 88

MikeXM

Reaction score
Not sure I could explain it correctly, so here is an extract from a google search:

Aluminum suffers the effects of two primary types of corrosion, galvanic or dissimilar metal and poultice corrosion. Both varieties of corrosion come into play in marine applications, however, only poultice corrosion is exacerbated when paint is added to the mix.

When painted, aluminum's surface is essentially starved of oxygen and as such it's incapable of developing and/or maintaining its corrosion-resistant oxide coating. Provided the paint coating remains contiguous and unbroken this presents no problems. No oxygen and no water means corrosion can't occur. However, once the coating is breached, no matter how small or seemingly insignificant that transgression of the coating may be, it establishes the recipe for a corrosion cascade. Water ultimately enters the breach, where it reaches and reacts with the aluminum, creating aluminum oxide. The reaction initially has access to air via the breach through which the water passes, however, as the aluminum oxide is formed it expands and lifts the paint, allowing the water to travel farther and farther from the initial entry point, beneath the paint. Eventually oxygen can no longer reach the area of interaction, creating an environment ripe for poultice corrosion.

The result is the formation of an unsightly blister or bulge, beneath which lurks the byproduct of poultice corrosion, aluminum hydroxide. If you've never seen it, aluminum hydroxide looks something like freezer-burned vanilla ice cream, it's often gooey until the blister's surface breaks, at which point it will dry out and revert more or less to a powdery state. When I encounter this all-too-common problem the theory most often put forth by professionals and consumers alike is that the aluminum was improperly or inadequately prepared or primed prior to the application of paint. After all, the failure is one of adhesion; the paint has failed to "stick" to the aluminum, right? Although this scenario does occur, it is in fact much less common than anecdotal reports would indicate. In most cases the cause of the corrosive wound is a result of an "injury"; the paint's coating is breached, allowing water to reach a material (aluminum), which is initially reactive with air. Once the process begins it's nearly impossible to stop.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Can you see a pinhole anywhere? I have seen this on aluminum boats and many many SCUBA cylinders.

Ruffone

Reaction score
I haven’t seen it on my scuba tanks yet. But no Brewbud, I looked all around all three areas and could not find a break in the paint or any pinholes. The first thing that I thought of was how some members on here are saying that their hoods were filling with water between the inner and the outer skins, the water is leaking in behind their hood badging they say. All three paint issue areas are right on the edge where the aluminum rolls under. Maybe water is getting in somehow where the inner and out skins are mated together?

Grayson

Reaction score
Address it now, they will get larger. I am unsure what Ram would do in this situation.

Ruffone

Reaction score
@Grayson believe me, as soon as I noticed them I went straight to my local dealership. I was surprised at what I was originally told about three weeks ago when I first took it in. The Service Advisor, or what ever their titles are these days, told me that they more than likely will replace the hood. He said that they are having trouble matching the factory’s orange peel and repaints are really noticeable due to this. I was thinking more on the lines that the average bodyman at most of the repair places aren’t used to working with aluminum yet or the outcome might not be all that great when they do repair them. So it’s costing them more to repair than to replace as opposed to saying they can’t match the orange peel, especially since orange peel is/has been common on new cars forever. Who knows… In the end he said it will come down to what the warranty department / corporate wants to do with the issue. My biggest concern is at the pace they are going at these days to resolve warranty issues. I have never had to wait more than a couple of days typically for an answer when I brought my truck in for service, now it’s been about 3 weeks and I’m still waiting for an answer…

Riddick

Reaction score
I have seen this several times on Ford Mustang hoods, particularly the 2011+ models that have aluminum hoods. I would get back to the dealer and have them repaint it ASAP, as stated above it will continue to get bigger.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
@Grayson believe me, as soon as I noticed them I went straight to my local dealership. I was surprised at what I was originally told about three weeks ago when I first took it in. The Service Advisor, or what ever their titles are these days, told me that they more than likely will replace the hood. He said that they are having trouble matching the factory’s orange peel and repaints are really noticeable due to this. I was thinking more on the lines that the average bodyman at most of the repair places aren’t used to working with aluminum yet or the outcome might not be all that great when they do repair them. So it’s costing them more to repair than to replace as opposed to saying they can’t match the orange peel, especially since orange peel is/has been common on new cars forever. Who knows… In the end he said it will come down to what the warranty department / corporate wants to do with the issue. My biggest concern is at the pace they are going at these days to resolve warranty issues. I have never had to wait more than a couple of days typically for an answer when I brought my truck in for service, now it’s been about 3 weeks and I’m still waiting for an answer…
Tell them they can have the new hood sprayed then do a cut and polish on the truck so the orange peel is gone….

MikeXM

Reaction score
That problem is a justification for paint protection film on the hood, at least the first half were most impacts happens.

whitexc

Reaction score
That problem is a justification for paint protection film on the hood, at least the first half were most impacts happens.
Wrong.....bug deflector. This has been discussed ad nauseum.

LOL

Sent from my semi-smart telephonic device

MikeXM

Reaction score
Wrong.....bug deflector. This has been discussed ad nauseum.

LOL

Sent from my semi-smart telephonic device
I disagree. I had one on previous truck. It did very little to protect from rock chips. And I find them not good looking on this new truck anyway. So film it is for now. We'll see long term.

Sent from my orange juice press

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
I just noticed the other day that I am getting bubbling paint on the hood of my 2019 Ram 2500 in 3 separate locations. It looks like what you see when the body panel is rusting under the paint, it’s definitely odd since our hoods are aluminum. Anyone else having this issue?
Hi Ruffone,
We'd suggest visiting your local dealer for further diagnosis of your concerns. If you'd like additional assistance alongside them, feel free to send us a PM. We'd be happy to help.

Sarah
Ram Cares

Users who are viewing this thread