Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hitch Step/Bumper Guard: 2.5" receiver or use the 2" reducer?

jb2

Reaction score
I don't tow with this truck, so was looking to put in a hitch step/bumper guard in mostly for the protective aspect... but also for an auxiliary bed step (*truck has the driver-side corner bed step). To be specific, I haven't found a single 2.5" option I like yet. Would love to hear your thoughts/experience on the 2" vs. 2.5" choice!

In the 2" variety, this one seems decent for my purposes:

woody284

Reaction score
I would say your going to find more options in the 2 inch. Although it’s not the main reason I bought a 3/4 ton truck as I have a fifth wheel I tow, most use them to tow a lot. Even trailer hitches are easier found in 2 inch. Use the reducer sleeve and you will have to buy the longer hitch pin as well.

Reactions: jb2

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
I don't tow with this truck, so was looking to put in a hitch step/bumper guard in mostly for the protective aspect... but also for an auxiliary bed step (*truck has the driver-side corner bed step). To be specific, I haven't found a single 2.5" option I like yet. Would love to hear your thoughts/experience on the 2" vs. 2.5" choice!

In the 2" variety, this one seems decent for my purposes:
I use Smitty Built beaver steps on both of my trucks. I think they are the best of both worlds. They are a solid chunk of steel and allow hooking up a loop of a tow rope without a shackle. Had one young lady bump into it in a parking lot while unloading my kid out of the back seat :mad: and it saved the paint. On the 19 I just used the reducer as they are 2’’.

MikeXM

Reaction score
I use Smitty Built beaver steps on both of my trucks. I think they are the best of both worlds. They are a solid chunk of steel and allow hooking up a loop of a tow rope without a shackle. Had one young lady bump into it in a parking lot while unloading my kid out of the back seat :mad: and it saved the paint. On the 19 I just used the reducer as they are 2’’.
Thanks for sharing. I didn't know about it and I might actually buy this one.

jerryw1000

Reaction score
I use the Smitty Built Beaver on my Jeep Grand Cherokee but I keep a trailer ball mount or a tow pintle on my Laramie all the time. I try to back in to most face to face parking places and both the ball mount and Smitty Built are good protection against those who have no feel for how long the nose of their vehicles are.

jb2

Reaction score
Small detail I overlooked until today related to hitch step choice: If your truck has the Ram factory parking sensors, they are directly in line with the hitch receiver & easily activated. The sensor sensitivity seemed to vary from truck to truck back when I was test driving them. It might be a decent idea to test your truck's free & clear zone with your hand or other controllable object before choosing your hitch step with its width in mind.

jb2

Reaction score
Update for this bumper guard/hitch steps thread in case anyone looks into this down the road for their trucks. I do not have positive news to report unfortunately. I ended up purchasing the Juegoal Hitch Step off of Amazon. That choice was made after taking the truck's factory backup sensors into consideration given the above observation of being directly in line with the hitch receiver. The Juegoal (while not as nice or sturdy) as the others I considered (WeatherTech & GenY), it had the smallest width & protrusion dimensions of the group. Sad to report that it makes the sensors go berserk about 75% of the time the truck is in Reverse. That annoyance was sufficient to get me to remove it. I do keep it stored under the rear seat in case I'm in a parking or driving situation that causes particular concern for an incident (parallel street parking required, significant traffic expectation). This of course means I will likely not have the hitch step in the day I need it haha. Oh well

Users who are viewing this thread