Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hitch drop size Ram 3500?

BLuRRnAWAY

Reaction score
Looking for a versatile hitch drop size, think 6 to 9 drop but wanted opinions. What would you go with for an all around drop size?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OuachitaAdventure

Reaction score
Usually run this at about 6-8" drop depending on the trailer. Got the 10" in case I get bigger tires later.

Highcountry

Reaction score
I recently bought a 7" drop 7.5" rise B&W Tow & Stow. I'm very impressed with the quality and function. I towed a small enclosed cargo trailer the other day and I could have actually used a little more drop, but I intentially kept it at 7. so I don't run into any clearance issues camping and steep driveways

BULLSANDBUCKSHUNTER

Reaction score
Weigh safe aluminum 8" set at 6-7" for my cargo trailers is perfect on factory tires, if i go up a tire size should still be great. Got mine "used" off amazon for $180, 2 ball set unopened in a damaged box. was going to get a bullet proof but couldnt pass up that deal. Really like design of hitch and ball lock system, 2.5" shank is a little lose in reciever but shimmed top with piece of sheetmetal now no movement.

Pronto

Reaction score
Loving my B&W Tow n Stow 9" so far. I wish I could have gotten by with the 7". I am a little worried that I'm going to catch the 9" on the ground in a few offroad spots that I drive occasionally. I'll have to have someone watch me and tell me how much clearance I have.

Reaction score
I just want through the same decision making process last month. I'm lifting the rear of my truck 1.5" I was looking for an adjustable class V drop within the 8-10" drop range. It seems most stock 3500 4.5gens are good with a 6-8" drop.

First choice was Fastway's all steel 10" drop with 2.5" shank. Rated for 20k trailer weight / 2k tongue weight. I ordered it from etrailer and it got backordered for an unannounced amount of time, so I cancelled.

Next choice was the Weigh Safe 180 10" drop, 2.5" shank. Rated for 18.5k trailer weight / 1850 tongue. Aluminum. I probably should have gone with aluminum out of the gate since I'm in a coastal area and frequently launch our boat in salt water. It gets here in a couple days. I like the locking snug fit pins for the ball. I also got a hitch tightener for the receiver. It "should" be nice and snug.

My coworker has the B&W 7" drop. Beautiful hitch but holy smokes does that thing bang and rattle around. Too many moving parts for me.

Pronto

Reaction score
My coworker has the B&W 7" drop. Beautiful hitch but holy smokes does that thing bang and rattle around. Too many moving parts for me.

My doesn't bang or rattle at all. I did put in an anti-rattle hitch lock that is really nice. The rest of the hitch has no play in it at all. The whole thing is as solid as can be.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
same here. I added the rubber collars to the shank just for piece of mind. certainly doesn't rattle or bang around. maybe that person used a 2"er instead of the required 2.5'er. ;)

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
same here. I added the rubber collars to the shank just for piece of mind. certainly doesn't rattle or bang around. maybe that person used a 2"er instead of the required 2.5'er. ;)
If its a gm it makes sence as they seem to have way more slop in the receivers

Users who are viewing this thread