Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

High pressure fuel pump rattling sound

Brett196.7

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else has a seemingly abnormally loud rattling sound coming from their fuel pump on their engine. Mine is the 2019 SO so I’m pretty sure I have the CP4.2 pump. If I have the windows down I can hear mine rattle pretty good even over the regular diesel noise. I have even thought about taking it in to the dealership to have it checked out just in case. However, it is more of an annoyance at this point because it doesn’t seem to have any performance issues but I don’t want it to give me mechanical problems now or later on down the line. I also just want to hear the sound of a Cummins the way it should be. Considering the fact that they do put out 29,000 pounds of fuel pressure, do I have a ticking time bomb on my hands? Thanks in advance anyone!

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else has a seemingly abnormally loud rattling sound coming from their fuel pump on their engine. Mine is the 2019 SO so I’m pretty sure I have the CP4.2 pump. If I have the windows down I can hear mine rattle pretty good even over the regular diesel noise. I have even thought about taking it in to the dealership to have it checked out just in case. However, it is more of an annoyance at this point because it doesn’t seem to have any performance issues but I don’t want it to give me mechanical problems now or later on down the line. I also just want to hear the sound of a Cummins the way it should be. Considering the fact that they do put out 29,000 pounds of fuel pressure, do I have a ticking time bomb on my hands? Thanks in advance anyone!
Hello Brett, we certainly see how this may be concerning! We recommend bringing this to the attention of your dealer for a proper diagnosis. If you decide to schedule a service appointment, please send us a private message for additional support!

Kathryn
RamCares

g00fy

Reaction score
Don't know if maybe what you're hearing it different from what i'm hearing, but I noticed on my 2019SO a couple of the plastic slats on the AGS system rattle at idle and probably get louder at higher speed when the wind starts whipping around them, maybe that's what your hearing?

Brett196.7

Reaction score
Hello Brett, we certainly see how this may be concerning! We recommend bringing this to the attention of your dealer for a proper diagnosis. If you decide to schedule a service appointment, please send us a private message for additional support!

Kathryn
RamCares
I didn’t buy my truck from a Ram dealership so I’m just seeing my options. I’ve had experience with dealerships only giving so much care and help if you didn’t buy from them. Also, I worked at dealerships as a mechanic and know how vehicles are handled. Therefore, it’s a little difficult for me to hand over keys to my truck/investment. They scratch and dent vehicles all the time and claim it was already there. What do you do? How do you prove it? I’m not completely opposed to it if absolutely needed though. I just try to do as much myself as possible with my scan tools and other equipment. Do you know if good/reputable Ram dealership service departments in the San Antonio area? Thank you!

D

Deleted member 80

I didn’t buy my truck from a Ram dealership so I’m just seeing my options. I’ve had experience with dealerships only giving so much care and help if you didn’t buy from them. Also, I worked at dealerships as a mechanic and know how vehicles are handled. Therefore, it’s a little difficult for me to hand over keys to my truck/investment. They scratch and dent vehicles all the time and claim it was already there. What do you do? How do you prove it? I’m not completely opposed to it if absolutely needed though. I just try to do as much myself as possible with my scan tools and other equipment. Do you know if good/reputable Ram dealership service departments in the San Antonio area? Thank you!
I have a buddy who has had good luck with Bluebonnet in New Braunfels.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
We certainly understand how your previous dealer experiences may lead to concerns. Please know that as your advocate, our team is here to assist alongside your dealer to ensure that we exhaust all available resources to have the concern addressed and resolved. If you are not able to determine a solution based on suggestions from fellow forum members and you decide to address this with your Ram dealer, please be sure to follow up with us via private message.

Kathryn
RamCares

Users who are viewing this thread