Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

High mileage?

Sapper21b

Reaction score
I'm looking at upgrading to an 2015-2017 Ram 2500. So far most of the trucks I'm finding have approximately 60k-80k miles. I don't have much experience with the 6.4L, is this high milage for this engine? How many miles can I expect to get from the 6.4L being well maintained?

Thanks for all your input!

TonyT

Reaction score
Check out THIS LINK to allpar.com's article on the truck 6.4. I don't have first-hand experience with this engine, but I do have friends that went with the 6.4L over the Cummins for whatever reason and they seem to be content and running strong.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
My 2015 has 117800ish miles on it. Tow every weekend to camping, and just made a trip to the beach returning over 18 MPG.

It is a true truck motor just like the V10 it replaces.

And the 6.4l goes through the same 300000 mile tests the Cummins does.

Very pleased with mine.

Ogamiitto

Reaction score
Check out THIS LINK to allpar.com's article on the truck 6.4. I don't have first-hand experience with this engine, but I do have friends that went with the 6.4L over the Cummins for whatever reason and they seem to be content and running strong.

that was a cool write up to read. gives me a whole new appreciation for this engine i'm about to get. thanks for the link!

Ogamiitto

Reaction score
124185.2 as I sit here reading this. Awesome engine.

before i put my order in, when i was still deciding between gas or diesel, it was testaments like yours that made me go with gas. i really appreciate hearing about your experiences...don't ever stop!

KLSU

Reaction score
124185.2 as I sit here reading this. Awesome engine.

Devil, How big of deal is the 8 speed in the 2019 models? The reason I am asking is I'm looking at 2 trucks right now.

1. 2017 2500 6.4 Lone star with 35k miles for 32k
2. 2019 2500 Tradesman, Level 2, 8.4 screen, Off-road, 6.4 hemi for right at 38k

I'm leaning toward the 2019 because the cost difference isn't that much but the 2017 has everything already on it(Bed liner, tires, rims, side steps, etc) so it would end up saving me about 10 grand.

Last edited:

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
The 8 spd makes the 6.4l work the way it was intended.

The 6 speed isn't bad, it just isn't as good.

You will notice the 6 speeds downfall if you tow where there are hills. The downshift from 2nd to first is traumatic.

The 8 spd makes this right and much better in this situation.

Myself, I would go with the 8spd if buying a truck for towing or hauling regularly.

If I was just buying a truck for occasional towing or just because I wanted it, I would go with the better deal.

Mopar or no car

Reaction score
I just hit 270000 miles on my 2015 today the only major issue it has had is when the egr cooler hose went bad and the mds system messes up at times

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
I am currently at 135413 on my 2015. @Mopar or no car that is very promising for me.

Just made 2 trips to the dump. Truck still hauls like a dream.

Camping next weekend. Can not wait to tow the home away from home

Mopar or no car

Reaction score
I am currently at 135413 on my 2015. @Mopar or no car that is very promising for me.

Just made 2 trips to the dump. Truck still hauls like a dream.

Camping next weekend. Can not wait to tow the home away from home
I am in the process of moving from florida to texas with mine and so far it pulled my 30 ft camper with no problem at all now I have to tow a couple other cars with it

Noseimaj

Reaction score
My only regret with not going for the diesel, here in California I can't add an extended or auxiliary fuel tank legally on the gas truck, but the diesel is legal to do so. We do a lot of backcountry camping / exploring in our Power Wagon, the option to have another 30 gallons of fuel would definitely help with off-road range anxiety.

I'm only about 15,000 miles in so far, but so far so good with the 6.4L. The 8 speed is "luxurious" smooth, fast shifts, holds gears well when coming down grades.

Last edited:

kobra

Reaction score
My only regret with not going for the diesel, here in California I can't add an extended or auxiliary fuel tank legally on the gas truck, but the diesel is legal to do so. We do a lot of backcountry camping / exploring in our Power Wagon, the option to have another 30 gallons of fuel would definitely help with off-road range anxiety.

I'm only about 15,000 miles in so far, but so far so good with the 6.4L. The 8 speed is "luxurious" smooth, fast shifts, holds gears well when coming down grades.
Interesting; any way to replace the onboard tank with something larger like a Titantank?

B

Users who are viewing this thread