Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

High Idle Time

jetrinka

Reaction score
You mean the time the idle takes to come down after a cold start? Mine this winter is usually only a few minutes if left to idle without driving after a cold start.

raven_dt

Reaction score
You mean the time the idle takes to come down after a cold start? Mine this winter is usually only a few minutes if left to idle without driving after a cold start.
Sorry, by high idle time I mean wrt to total engine hours.

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Really depends on the person who you are asking

raven_dt

Reaction score
Since hemis are sensitive to high idle hours, what constitutes high idle hours?

jetrinka

Reaction score
No one is really going to be able to answer that question definitively. There are some guys who report almost as much idle as driving hours due to their work and haven’t had any problems. I personally think the high idle hours thing is a stinking myth….

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
No one is really going to be able to answer that question definitively. There are some guys who report almost as much idle as driving hours due to their work and haven’t had any problems. I personally think the high idle hours thing is a stinking myth….
pretty much the old days with carbs and low flow oil pumps that was an issue now with VVT, Fuel injection and higher flowing oil pumps as well as better oils idling is a non issue for gassers

jetrinka

Reaction score
pretty much the old days with carbs and low flow oil pumps that was an issue now with VVT, Fuel injection and higher flowing oil pumps as well as better oils idling is a non issue for gassers
Well the newest theory about the Hemi and its eating its own cam/lifters comes from a guy who made a youtube video saying its because the cam is located far up in the engine block and above an oiling galley that feeds the oil squirters. His theory is that since its so high up and that its above the oil galley that it doesn't get any splash lubrication to the cam lobes at idle or slow engine speeds. I think its bunk though.... Sure it may not get a lot of splash lubrication but I'd think it gets plenty down to the lobes via the lifters being lubricated by and moving up and down in their bores. More than enough oil should be flowing down to those needle bearings and cam lobes at any engine speed.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Well the newest theory about the Hemi and its eating its own cam/lifters comes from a guy who made a youtube video saying its because the cam is located far up in the engine block and above an oiling galley that feeds the oil squirters. His theory is that since its so high up and that its above the oil galley that it doesn't get any splash lubrication to the cam lobes at idle or slow engine speeds. I think its bunk though.... Sure it may not get a lot of splash lubrication but I'd think it gets plenty down to the lobes via the lifters being lubricated by and moving up and down in their bores. More than enough oil should be flowing down to those needle bearings and cam lobes at any engine speed.
The second you said youtube i knew it was a crap theory lol

BigEdV

Reaction score
Only thing I have seen about idle time for the Hemi's is during break in period, they say idle as minimal as possible. It actually is for any engine - I was told the same thing from marine mechanics about my outboard motor; you don't want to idle a lot during the break in. I have had 2 - 5.7 Hemi's both over 80k (yes not a huge number of miles) and never really thought about how much I let them idle. In the winters I would let them sit to warm up in the mornings, then normal things you let it sit and idlle for. The only issue I ever had with them was broken manifold bolts (supposedly they have that fixed in the 2022 engines - time will tell).

Users who are viewing this thread