Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hesitation in my Aisin

Kevin T

Reaction score
Has anyone else experience this? Here's the scenario, Turn off the street into a gas station with an inclined drive, as I get back into the throttle to drive up hill, it's like the transmission hesitates then grabs and takes off. I have had it do this several times since owning this truck (2021 Ram 3500).

The truck has 183K miles and the transmission has been serviced in the past 2K miles.

Kevin

werard

Reaction score
Mine does that occasionally, they just get caught "between" gears I think. The MPH drops yet the truck wants to stay in the higher gear until you get on the gas and it realizes it "needs" to drop down a gear.

Kevin T

Reaction score
Mine does that occasionally, they just get caught "between" gears I think. The MPH drops yet the truck wants to stay in the higher gear until you get on the gas and it realizes it "needs" to drop down a gear.
Thanks for your reply. It shifts fine otherwise but I have never had a transmission do that while moving slow up hill.

Kevin T

Reaction score
Is it the down shift from 2nd to 1s

Well, possibly sometimes but one scenario when it does it is: I can back out from my shop, start up our lane which is an incline, and if I soft peddle it, slow down, then accelerate, it will hesitate then take off. It don't do this if I keep constant pressure on the accerator.

tchur1

Reaction score
Well, possibly sometimes but one scenario when it does it is: I can back out from my shop, start up our lane which is an incline, and if I soft peddle it, slow down, then accelerate, it will hesitate then take off. It don't do this if I keep constant pressure on the accerator.
The Aisin is known to do this in this exact scenario. Mine does it here and there if I’m not paying attention.

jasmith348

Reaction score
I've had this happen, always at low speeds. Seems weird but once it finally finds a gear it is fine.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I've had this happen, always at low speeds. Seems weird but once it finally finds a gear it is fine.

Only ever had this happen once and I seem to recall it was in 2nd gear and finally grabbed 3rd. We were rolling through a light and I backed off, then got on it again and... ... ... nothing. Then it grabbed a gear. It was more like dead pedal though as I recall now.

Never ever happened again.

I did have what I felt was an unwelcome shudder pulling my RV up our street after dropping the boat, but that too never resurfaced.

I dunno, It was possibly still learning

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Both my 2017 and my 2022 Aisin’s did / do this. It’s especially noticeable at low speed when transitioning from flat to inclined road surfaces and low speed. The 2nd to 1st is especially “clunky” if you try to complete a low speed rolling transition. I’ve inquired with someone I know that knows the Aisin inside and out and was assured it’s normal. Just part of the way the Aisin is controlled. I’ve learned to come to a complete stop when encountering these situations and allow the transmission to kick down to 1st before hitting the grade.

jasmith348

Reaction score
The slow incline transition is where I’ve noticed it the most, usually pulling.

dslbrnr

Reaction score
OP
Mine act's the same. As another poster said, best to come to a stop or close to it

Ostracize

Reaction score
I'd second @mbarber84, but more specifically on how aisin's are controlled it seems like a deliberate drop in line pressure in the valve body which seems to be there to save on the rest of the drive train.
I've noticed it way more when not in tow/haul but that may be just me.

mruysch

Reaction score
If I am not paying attention my truck will will do a strange 2nd to 1st shift. Either going up a slight incline or not coming to a complete stop

thecastle

Reaction score
Its especially violent the 2nd-1st shift when your off roading and have it in 4L. You hit a steep incline, and it dosen't want to shift, then wham your head is being tossed as it downshifts to 1st.

Cseybert

Reaction score
My 2022 DRW does the same thing. But so does my 2004 Expedition also a 6 speed.

Users who are viewing this thread