Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hemi or Cummins cheaper option breakdown

Wanderlust

Reaction score
The arguments of routine maintenance and resale aside, do people also consider the other complexities of a diesel? I currently have a diesel (not a truck), my first and likely my only, and I was surprised by some of the limitations and complexities. I do a lot of long road trips throughout the Western US, Baja, and Canada. The two main issues which frustrated me about a diesel are difficulty finding diesel with biodiesel blend within manufacturer recommendations and the lack of ULS diesel in many parts of Mexico.

Although it is getting better, once your are out of Northern Baja, you have no real way of knowing if diesel is ULSD or not and it is very likely not. There are many stories of people being stuck in limp mode due to clogged DPFs from using LSD. While not as bad for the emissions system as using LSD, too high a mixture of biodiesel supposedly can also clog the DPF. Most manufactures (Ram included) state a max blend of 5%. In some places in the US, it is hard if not impossible to find diesel with less than 5% biodiesel. Minnesota requires by law that diesel have at least 20% biodiesel from April through September.

A lesser issue I have run into is the lack of diesel in some remote gas stations. There is nothing like the sinking feeling when you see a sign that says last gas station for 120 miles and realizing they don't sell diesel.

While not a significant effort, dealing with DEF and additives to avoid gelling are also additional complexities you do not have with a gas engine.

The simplicity and convenience of a gas engine mean I would only buy a diesel if I really needed it for the intended purpose of the truck.

Last edited:

kevin588127

Reaction score
The arguments of routine maintenance and resale aside, do people also consider the other complexities of a diesel? I currently have a diesel (not a truck), my first and likely my only, and I was surprised by some of the limitations and complexities. I do a lot of long road trips throughout the Western US, Baja, and Canada. The two main issues which frustrated me about a diesel are difficulty finding diesel with biodiesel blend within manufacturer recommendations and the lack of ULS diesel in many parts of Mexico.

Although it is getting better, once your are out of Northern Baja, you have no real way of knowing if diesel is ULSD or not and it is very likely not. There are many stories of people being stuck in limp mode due to clogged DPFs from using LSD. While not as bad for the emissions system as using LSD, too high a mixture of biodiesel supposedly can also clog the DPF. Most manufactures (Ram included) state a max blend of 5%. In some places in the US, it is hard if not impossible to find diesel with less than 5% biodiesel. Minnesota requires by law that diesel have at least 20% biodiesel from April through September.

A lesser issue I have run into is the lack of diesel in some remote gas stations. There is nothing like the sinking feeling when you see a sign that says last gas station for 120 miles and realizing they don't sell diesel.

The simplicity and convenience of a gas engine mean I would only buy a diesel if I really needed it for the intended purpose of the truck.
My dad tried the eco diesel thing a few years back. He hated having to find diesel. Around us, all the small towns and outlying urban areas have it but if you venture too far from a major highway or interstate, it is hard to come by. He also had his go into limp mode on 2 different camping trips. Pulling his 26' 5th wheel was great with no turbo assist. It spent a good portion of its 6 months at the dealer while they tried to figure it out. Turned out to be a loose clamp somewhere but it put an end to his diesel experience. The truck never got the advertised mileage and the math actually worked out to favor a hemi at the fuel prices at that time so he went back to a 1500 hemi.

jebruns

Reaction score
Well idk where you are looking but the 6.7 sells for less than 5.9s here. Before i bought my 19 i looked at a 2014 fully loaded immaculate outdoorsman with 130k km for 36k at a dodge dealer it was a nice truck but i see lesser 5.9 trucks with way more millage go for 35k+ Its surprising to see such differences
I'd looked most everywhere, since I just bought a new Ram CTD and traded a Ram CTD on it. And I was not afraid to travel to get a deal. Given an otherwise equal used truck, the 6.7CTD option will almost always cost you $6-10 thousand more.

There is still a lot of love for the old 5.9. I never owned one, but it would not surprise me that one in good condition would demand a premium.

Last edited:

jebruns

Reaction score
My dad tried the eco diesel thing a few years back. He hated having to find diesel. Around us, all the small towns and outlying urban areas have it but if you venture too far from a major highway or interstate, it is hard to come by. He also had his go into limp mode on 2 different camping trips. Pulling his 26' 5th wheel was great with no turbo assist. It spent a good portion of its 6 months at the dealer while they tried to figure it out. Turned out to be a loose clamp somewhere but it put an end to his diesel experience. The truck never got the advertised mileage and the math actually worked out to favor a hemi at the fuel prices at that time so he went back to a 1500 hemi.
Sorry he had a bad experience. I went back to gas for a long time after my lemon law experience with my new 03 6.0 Ford. And it worked for me. But pulling through the Ozark Mts (where I live) and in the Rockies, I was beating that drivetrain to death. I just prefer the diesel for a much more relaxed towing experience. And the much better fuel mileage.

I've not found getting diesel fuel to be an issue, and I like pulling through the night on trips. Even on long 2 lane roads through Kansas at 2am, there was no issue finding diesel fuel. When I first got into diesels in 01, yeah, it could be an issue for sure!

chas0218

Reaction score
I think a lot of this applies to location as well. In the NE where I am if you have a Diesel you tow 99% of the time (with a few exclusions) as the truck will rot away before it even gets close to the engine dying. There are still a few clean pre-epa diesels around in NY but they are very rare. Especially if they have over 200k miles.

flan

Reaction score
I think a lot of this applies to location as well. In the NE where I am if you have a Diesel you tow 99% of the time (with a few exclusions) as the truck will rot away before it even gets close to the engine dying. There are still a few clean pre-epa diesels around in NY but they are very rare. Especially if they have over 200k miles.
Yea, they either parked them in the winter or brought them up from down south.

Gkockrow

Reaction score
I bought a 3500 Limited with the HO because I just wanted it. I did not need it as I never tow over about 7000 lbs. I am over 60 years old and just decided to get what I wanted not what I really needed.
Me too!!!!

Reactions: SL1

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

While not a significant effort, dealing with DEF and additives to avoid gelling are also additional complexities you do not have with a gas engine.

I travel to very remote areas and never have trouble finding fuel here in canada bio blends are not as common and they do not sell LSD (colored off-road fuel) only ULSD At most pumps also there is no need to add any additives for anti gelling as they start to introduce winter blends October-april which wont gel….

Its not the 80s anymore its much easier to find fueling stations with diesel than it use to be.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Las Vegas has come up with more stations with Diesel, but in 2004 I had a heck of a time finding diesel that was not at the higher cost of stations charging more due to being on the Vegas strip.

Wanderlust

Reaction score
I travel to very remote areas and never have trouble finding fuel here in canada bio blends are not as common and they do not sell LSD (colored off-road fuel) only ULSD At most pumps also there is no need to add any additives for anti gelling as they start to introduce winter blends October-april which wont gel….

Its not the 80s anymore its much easier to find fueling stations with diesel than it use to be.

The schedule they release winter blends and the temperatures they target are based on the local area. Because the kerosine based grade 1 is less efficient, they want to add only enough to the blend to avoid gelling at expected regional lows. Even then, there are no guarantees.

I speak from first hand experience as someone that does a lot of winter backcountry camping, often in the mountains, using my diesel and has experienced gelling. It’s fun spending a morning warming up your fuel tank and lines in the bitter cold.

I am not against diesel engines. If I had to tow a lot, I would buy a diesel again. The added complexities with a diesel can be managed (although I would love to find a way to explore more of Mexico without having to worry about LSD) and the longevity is nice.

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The schedule they release winter blends and the temperatures they target are based on the local area. Because the kerosine based grade 1 is less efficient, they want to add only enough to the blend to avoid gelling at expected regional lows. Even then, there are no guarantees.

I speak from first hand experience as someone that does a lot of winter backcountry camping, often in the mountains, using my diesel and has experienced gelling. It’s fun spending a morning warming up your fuel tank and lines in the bitter cold.

I am not against diesel engines. If I had to tow a lot, I would buy a diesel again. The added complexities with a diesel can be managed (although I would love to find a way to explore more of Mexico without having to worry about LSD) and the longevity is nice.
Im in Canada and we always start getting winter blends on a schedule they have 27 different blends and they vary based on temps after the initial start of the blends at fuel stations is always the begining of October as temps start to drop off we have already had quite a few nights in the negatives

Users who are viewing this thread