Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hemi knocking

Enve46

Reaction score
Well, this doesn’t sound great. I’ve noticed a bit of racket at start up but it was mainly the squeal which is heavily discussed. At times I’d get a rougher idle but no lights. Then recently this has gotten louder. Time for a dealer
3900 miles, 250 miles on fresh oil change using PUP/Mopar SRT filter
visit

Last edited:

JimKIII

Reaction score
I meant to click a sad face, not a thumbs up.
Well, this doesn’t sound great. I’ve noticed a bit of racket at start up but it was mainly the squeal which is heavily discussed. At times I’d get a rougher idle but no lights. Then recently this has gotten louder. Time for a dealer
visit

dtsequeira

Reaction score
Mine has sounded like that since new, it goes away after 30 seconds or so. I now have over 30,000 miles on the truck with no issues. My 2018 4Runner sounds the same cold and has over 80k on it.

Enve46

Reaction score
Mine has sounded like that since new, it goes away after 30 seconds or so. I now have over 30,000 miles on the truck with no issues. My 2018 4Runner sounds the same cold and has over 80k on it.
Mine does not go away. This is after driving for 20 minutes, full operating temp.

Enve46

Reaction score
None of my Hemi's ever sounded like that. Has the dealer looked at it?
Not yet, next appointment is Friday. I just made the decision to keep this thing as I was thinking of trading it for a diesel, I get my leveling kits installed and then this. Hahaha UGH. This isn't the normal Hemi sounds I know, this is mechanical, Im thinking lifters

Firebird

Reaction score
Thanks. I’m considering saying bye to it and washing my hands before it becomes a headache.
I had a 96 Trans AM, had a low bottom knock, so dealer installed a new engine. Car was perfect from then on

Zeeman

Reaction score
visit
I have the exact thing at "Cold" start in Michigan. When below freezing and sits a day opr more there is soo much knocking and metallic sound I thjought this cant be normal. I know if I take it in they will go...We dont hear anything and now it has gottern warmer and hoping I can get it looked at before warranty goes out next winter. I have bought oil additive to see if that helps this cold start noise. Definetly does not sound like any V8 I ever had before and is discerning since it only has 18k miles on it.

Enve46

Reaction score
I have the exact thing at "Cold" start in Michigan. When below freezing and sits a day opr more there is soo much knocking and metallic sound I thjought this cant be normal. I know if I take it in they will go...We dont hear anything and now it has gottern warmer and hoping I can get it looked at before warranty goes out next winter. I have bought oil additive to see if that helps this cold start noise. Definetly does not sound like any V8 I ever had before and is discerning since it only has 18k miles on it.
Yea it’s certainly frustrating. Hopefully you have better luck but I’ve moved on and it’ll be someone else’s problem. Lifters are failing across all major manufacturers and engine types so I’m not surprised honestly. It’s been this way since 2019/2020

Users who are viewing this thread