Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help Selecting Gooseneck Hitch

Frank

Reaction score
This is my first HD and I'm looking at gooseneck hitches to pull my father in law's flatbed when I need to borrow it. I've never bought one so I don't really know what I am looking at. I am seeing everything from $20 to $400, I see this Mopar kit and figure that's probably a good starting point. Any guidance? I have 2020 2500 CC SB with the 5th wheel prep. This is probably the only gooseneck I will be hooking up to this truck, and no 5th wheels to plan ahead for. Thanks.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score

farmallboy

Stump Killer
Reaction score
I have the OEM kit from curt. Nice case. The chain hooks are "fatty" meaning your chains need big openings to chain to it. I got it at a huge discount because of negotiations.

It's slick to use and hasn't seemed to have any issues. I don't think you will go wrong with any of them and with your intended limited usage I wouldn't spend and arm and a leg. I own a gooseneck and couldn't justify the B&W price.

Nothing to sweat. Pick one of the big three. Curt Reese or B&W and throw it in toolbox. Done deal.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
Curt makes the MOPAR 5th wheel and Gooseneck items, so made in China. B&W mades in USA. I got my MOPAR M25 5th wheel hitch with my truck. I am not happy with the M25 hitch as the paint on the hitcvh plate has already peeled and I have less than 3000 miles towing with it.

406Linetrash

Reaction score
The b&w is more expensive. I liked it doesn't have the fatty safety chain opening so I didn't have to change out hooks. And the handle on it is nice for not getting grease all over you.

Nothing wrong with the curt either

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Curt hands down ....
Curt makes the MOPAR 5th wheel and Gooseneck items, so made in China. B&W mades in USA. I got my MOPAR M25 5th wheel hitch with my truck. I am not happy with the M25 hitch as the paint on the hitcvh plate has already peeled and I have less than 3000 miles towing with it.
Curt is made in the usa too only the electronics and wiring are in china the hitches are made in Wisconsin

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Hitch is a relatively small item, samdblast it and paint it properly and it will last, peeling off pain isn't something I'd complain about.

farmallboy

Stump Killer
Reaction score
Hitch is a relatively small item, samdblast it and paint it properly and it will last, peeling off pain isn't something I'd complain about.

My issues. In Ohio. Is with the powder coating bw uses. But only on rails so sandblasting those would be a pain every couple years. Unless you own a Chevy. Then you already should be sandblasting everything lol

Frank

Reaction score
Once I started having to buy hitches that were bigger, more complex, and more expensive than a simple 5,000 lbs ball mount I started taking better care of them. Hitches are stored in the garage and only go on the truck when in use. They get cleaned up and greased each time. I don't worry about corrosion too much because they are not in the elements day to day.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
This is the head of the 5th wheel hitch that is peeling. Not the gooseneck ball.

Users who are viewing this thread