Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help Me Decide…

EngineEar

Reaction score
Hey y’all…I’m new here. Just bought my 2nd Cummins a 2023 Laramie and have added a few accessories thus far. For whatever reason I still feel like something is missing. So do I have the existing wheels powder coated black or buy new rims? If new rims I’d like your suggestions!

Attachments

• IMG_4720.jpeg
    IMG_4720.jpeg
    688.8 KB · Views: 77

phatboy64

Reaction score
First off that is a nice looking truck!
Depends on what you like and what you want to do. Do you not like the way those wheels look?

EngineEar

Reaction score
First off that is a nice looking truck!
Depends on what you like and what you want to do. Do you not like the way those wheels look?
Thanks dude! I absolutely love these wheels, in fact they are my favorite OEM wheels RAM puts on the HD trucks. I just can’t decide whether they would look better in black and if so is it gloss or matte? Of course I’ve looked at Pearl White Night Edition trucks but it wouldn’t be the same because I would leave the chrome grill and mirrors. As far as what I want to do with the truck pending the wheel decision I am done with it. I own a construction company and at the end of the day it’s a “work” truck and will mostly be used moving equipment between jobs and hauling my daughter to softball practice!

Sixtime43

Reaction score
Looks pretty good to me as it sits. The only change I might make is change the running boards out for a set of retractable ones. Personal preference of course, but I currently have a set, and will never own another truck without them. lol

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
If you want that wheel in black get a set of OEM night takeoff wheels.

The chrome is all personal preference, some like it and some hate it… hence the popularity of the night edition package.

EngineEar

Reaction score
Looks pretty good to me as it sits. The only change I might make is change the running boards out for a set of retractable ones. Personal preference of course, but I currently have a set, and will never own another truck without them. lol
Thanks @Sixtime43 ….I certainly considered retractable running boards but settled on this black Aries set and saved a little money in the process. For now they are doing the trick but long term if they don’t make me happy it will be a set of retractable boards!

EngineEar

Reaction score
If you want that wheel in black get a set of OEM night takeoff wheels.

The chrome is all personal preference, some like it and some hate it… hence the popularity of the night edition package.
I’ve certainly considered that but believe I can have them powder coated for about half the cost of a take off set of night edition wheels. Of course that’s also assuming I don’t sell these wheels and offset the cost. Would the chrome accents look off with the black wheels in your opinion?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve certainly considered that but believe I can have them powder coated for about half the cost of a take off set of night edition wheels. Of course that’s also assuming I don’t sell these wheels and offset the cost. Would the chrome accents look off with the black wheels in your opinion?

I’ve ran black wheels on previous trucks with chrome accents and really enjoyed the look, that being said I can’t stand any of the chrome accents on the newer 19+ trucks.

EngineEar

Reaction score
I’ve ran black wheels on previous trucks with chrome accents and really enjoyed the look, that being said I can’t stand any of the chrome accents on the newer 19+ trucks.
Gotcha…I hear ya, I’ve seen similar trucks with chrome accents and black wheels and loved them but at the same time have considered debadging the truck if I go with black rims to reduce the chrome….decisions decisions!

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Plasti dip is also a viable option for the wheels to decide if you like the look or not. Easy to apply and removable.

These are the chrome rims from my 2018 that I kept, plasti dipped, and put some aggressive tires on for hunting.

IMG_2996.jpeg

EngineEar

Reaction score
Plasti dip is also a viable option for the wheels to decide if you like the look or not. Easy to apply and removable.

These are the chrome rims from my 2018 that I kept, plasti dipped, and put some aggressive tires on for hunting.

View attachment 60485
Solid suggestion…cheap, quick and easy to see if I like it and want to spend the money to powder coat! Your rig looks good crawling through the snow!

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Solid suggestion…cheap, quick and easy to see if I like it and want to spend the money to powder coat! Your rig looks good crawling through the snow!

Thanks!!!

I think the horses may have preferred more stable footing under the trailer :D

phatboy64

Reaction score
If you are going to powder coat them black I would go with gloss black, of course that is a personal preference, I just think the white truck with gloss black would look sharp..

Finn5033

Reaction score
If you are going to powder coat them black I would go with gloss black, of course that is a personal preference, I just think the white truck with gloss black would look sharp..
I agree on the gloss black. As you said it’s a personal preference, but I think the gloss looks nicer

flan

Reaction score
If anything some larger and more aggressive tires, even if the transforce are brand new. Nothing says “grandpa truck” like whitewall stockers.

Riddick

Reaction score
Personally, I think your truck looks great. If you are dead set on black wheels I would buy a set that has part of the wheel with a machined finish to pop and blend in with the chrome. If it were me I would leave it as is and throw a set of bigger tires on it and enjoy it. I have a NE but I prefer everything to match, everything painted or everything chrome. Congrats on your new purchase and keep us updated.

EngineEar

Reaction score
If anything some larger and more aggressive tires, even if the transforce are brand new. Nothing says “grandpa truck” like whitewall stockers.
Haha I agree…almost made the dealer put the white lettering facing in before I drove it off the lot.

SpeyRam

Reaction score
All hail to white Ram trucks!

Like the idea of plastic-dipping chrome wheels. That might be my next move. I just don't like most of the aftermarket wheels that are black. I see them all over the place and most just don't look good to me.

Users who are viewing this thread