Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello to All New here..I know You guessed wrong.

Domal88

Reaction score
Great forums here from what I'm seeing.
Name is Dave I've been a Ram lover for a long time along with my son. I've been daily driving a 95 extra cab 12v for about 5 years now yes 2nd Gen. And it has been a labor of love through and through. I've also owned a 99 standard cab 8 ft bed with a 5.9 magnum an 04 SLT with a hemi. Does a 02 Freightliner Columbia with a 60 series count? Cause that was as Dodge as they come. But an awsome truck too. My son has had 4 different rams and currently has a 3rd gen firepunk tranny MVB and some other tricks like a giant turbo 12 gauge size injectors with i think solid gold head studs... Well that's what they cost him anyway....he's daily driving an 00 Durango traitor!!... So tools parts and alot of oil jugs are no stranger here.I ruin lawnmower blades on old lug nuts alot.
Anyhow after much back and forth and a few belated and postponed camping trips with the Mrs. Due to my 27 yr old truck not cooperating always a quick fix but a PITA when ur trying to leave. We decided to get a newer truck.. Being hard headed and not one to learn from mistakes I found a lovely 2019 longhorn with a small bed and 4 doors. Almost a replica of the 04 SLT but with a mighty Cummins power plant and a 68rfe for good measure.. It was a fleet vehicle and had 45k at time of purchase. I spent way more than any mode of transportation should ever cost IMO.. We're not wealthy people due to living in a state where we still pay the Kings taxes. The tea thing never took hold in the state it took place, go figure. But I digress.
Love the truck.. its nice to not have to shift manually now and the ride is just different enough from the 95 to make it enjoyable. LOL!!!
The first thing I did when I got home was put my 235/70/17 Toyo OCATs on 17" wheels pull off the factory RBs and I'm feeling good about it at this point. I had no clue mounting different wheels and tires could disrupt the digital harmony. So far about 2k now and nothing has happened. What I need to find out and ask You guys is. This truck will be worked on by me I would say it will never see a dealer but I understand software to a point and know it may have to go there to receive an update of some kind. But if I can avoid it I will.. In order to do that I'm gonna need some kind of scan tool or a lap top and software can anyone suggest stuff along these lines. Remember I live in Mass. So I can't as far as I know do anything at all to this as far as mods go or I'll fail Mass inspection. And that's ok. As far as I can tell this truck in its stock form is more than I need to pull my 26ft. Toy hauler and my 18ft enclosed utility with a Honda Pioneer in it. A gold wing and 2 Gas Gas 300s. We're not talking heavy hauls. But when a code comes up or I do a service of any kind I would like the ability to set things right in her brain.
So something along those lines would be great . I mean as time goes on and everything stays as it is reliability and mechanically i would not be opposed to skipping updates if they're really not needed. You get my point.
I see the engineers were kind enough to mount some type of pod or module right behind the thin plastic wheel well cover im assuming tpms receivers but who knows don't much matter mines not seeing sensors anyway with the wheel swap . If it stays as it is it doesn't bother me. So things mounted in such locations are gonna need attention at some point.
So my big ask is what is everyone using to Really clear codes regen or relearn on tranny is there even anything available or is it just generic stuff available..
My other question is I also see they were thoughtful enough to omit the KDP problem and give Us this grid bolt conductor problem. Awsome!!!! I was feeling pretty lost not constantly having the concern of a bolt or pin completely granading my engine In 3.2 seconds. Glad it's back. Any body know if I will pass Taxachusettes inspection with the Banks mod/fix or do I have to Mill a new aluminum piece with insulation to fix this problem.
I'm seeing alot of words about driving with my Jake brake on all the time. Why?
I see people saying they're doing this practice in diagnosis explanations but not why they are doing it. So if anybody knows this would be great. Anything I can do to make it easy on the truck is welcome . I'm a Big Believer in reliability and hopefully this new truck will be just that. I know it will never last 27 years like old Black has its just plain too thin.. But if after 5 years I can say it was at least good I'll be happy, I'm afraid that's starting to look like a big ask but we'll see.
Thanks to all of You for having me this seems like a nice place to be for this type of info. There's alot to choose from so that's a compliment for sure.
Sorry for long winded post but hey does bandwidth really matter any more.
Dave17098411774824943269716501965535.jpg20240302_132848.jpg

gimmie11s

Reaction score
That black one would be happier in the dry state of CA.

Users who are viewing this thread