Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heated Steering Wheel Dies After A Few Minutes

JerRam2021

Reaction score
Mine just got fixed after a year of chasing the issue and waiting on parts. Started as clock spring, would work until the wheel was turned. Dealer went through lots of steps, Star cases etc. was finally fixed after the second control module. Seats worked the whole time. see this thread: https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?threads/heated-steering-wheel-issue.10256/page-5#post-302825
Thanks for the info. Is that module just called the “power seat module”? Also, do recall the price of it? TIA!

Metternacht

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Is that module just called the “power seat module”? Also, do recall the price of it? TIA!
I believe it’s the heated seat control module. I don’t have the cost on me. I will check my paperwork. It was warranty work so not sure it’s listed.

Metternacht

Reaction score
So here is the info from the paperwork

Attachments

• 9713A094-6BFA-4F77-83BE-A3A36A04902B.jpeg
    9713A094-6BFA-4F77-83BE-A3A36A04902B.jpeg
    376.8 KB · Views: 8

JerRam2021

Reaction score
So here is the info from the paperwork
Thanks man. I wiggled the wires under my drivers seat and the heated steering wheel seemed to work after that… for two days anyway.. now back to on-off in less then a min. ‍♂️. I’ll try to wiggle wires again and see if that really is the issue…. If not , i might look into the new module.

ammdrew

Reaction score
if you have alpha you can check the module to see if your getting a code. When mine did that the system was seeing a open circuit and shutting off.. My clock spring had failed.

JerRam2021

Reaction score
if you have alpha you can check the module to see if your getting a code. When mine did that the system was seeing a open circuit and shutting off.. My clock spring had failed.
Is Alpha like a scan tool? Hooks up to the odb2… or whatever?

ammdrew

Reaction score
a computer program that hooks up to a odb2 reader. lets you scan all the modules etc. look in the modifications threads there is one labeled alpha odb. Jscan may also see the fault I did not try it but it does see other modules faults.

dealers have not earned very much trust the past few years and they should of been able to see the fault and chase the circuit pretty easy. The wheel heating circuit and module are pretty’s simple systems to check. the module also controls your seats so if the seats work the module gets power fine. if the module is shutting off because of error there’s a code. So that leaves wire harness, clock spring, or wheel itself. otherwise it is probably just a bad module which is by far the easiest part to replace.

Users who are viewing this thread