Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heated Steering Wheel Dies After A Few Minutes

Herrred

Reaction score
Anyone else have an issue with the heated steering cutting out after a few minutes? Mine will turn on with no problem, then cuts off after 2-3 minutes. I cannot turn it back on until an hour or so has passed. This is in cold temps (22-34F) and does it both on remote starts and regular operations. Took it to the dealer and they could not trace the issue during the 2 hour visit. They were very apologetic and asked that I drop off my 3500 for an entire day so they could trace the issue through the whole system. Its under warranty, just looking for a possible solution to pass on to the dealer tech. The way it's acting, it appears a part is heating up and killing the steering heat, and then after cooling it works again for a few minutes more.

My arthritis really kicks on in the cold and the heated steering has been a blessing in my last 3 RAMs. Did a 1200 mile trip last month and it worked fine the entire time when it was used. This started only two weeks ago. Heated seats work fine, as do all other cabin controls.

NC Rebel

Reaction score
My heated steering wheel stays on as long as I have it turned on.

jadmt

Reaction score
I had a seat that would do that in my jeep and it ended up being a module that was bad. probably have to bite the bullet and leave it with them. It is funny how spoiled we get with heated steering wheels. I get in my wife's car and I am searching for the heated steering wheel button and she does not have it....

jetrinka

Reaction score
Haven’t had mine cut out yet. I usually have to turn it off when my hands start sweating

DontSlamMyRam

Reaction score
Mine has shut off before but usually after 30m +. I just always figured it eventually times out by design. Never looked into it tho, sorry. 2-3m is BS, just make sure you get a heated wheel loaner while they investigate!

CharlieL

Reaction score
Anyone else have an issue with the heated steering cutting out after a few minutes? Mine will turn on with no problem, then cuts off after 2-3 minutes. I cannot turn it back on until an hour or so has passed. This is in cold temps (22-34F) and does it both on remote starts and regular operations. Took it to the dealer and they could not trace the issue during the 2 hour visit. They were very apologetic and asked that I drop off my 3500 for an entire day so they could trace the issue through the whole system. Its under warranty, just looking for a possible solution to pass on to the dealer tech. The way it's acting, it appears a part is heating up and killing the steering heat, and then after cooling it works again for a few minutes more.

My arthritis really kicks on in the cold and the heated steering has been a blessing in my last 3 RAMs. Did a 1200 mile trip last month and it worked fine the entire time when it was used. This started only two weeks ago. Heated seats work fine, as do all other cabin controls.
Did you/they check the fuse to see if it's loose or has some other problem? Owner's manual shows it as F43, 15 amp blue.

Herrred

Reaction score
Good shot. No sure. They stated they checked as far as they could without "digging into it deeper", assuming that's following wiring/components into hard to reach/hidden areas. That I'll check myself. Thanks!

Herrred

Reaction score
I had a seat that would do that in my jeep and it ended up being a module that was bad. probably have to bite the bullet and leave it with them. It is funny how spoiled we get with heated steering wheels. I get in my wife's car and I am searching for the heated steering wheel button and she does not have it....
Agreed, I suspect it's an overheating module. It works until it doesn't. I got some personal time coming up so I'll just drop it off and do some yardwork.

Linked4door

Reaction score
The wheel in my 2019 would stay hot as long as I had it on. I typically had to turn it off after 10min since it would get too hot and be uncomfortable.

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
My understanding is that a module under the seat is fed from the fuse box and in most cases it’s a bad module. There is also a clock spring that can be the cause, but less often the case.

No experience with it myself, just from reading around the Internet.

Herrred

Reaction score
Odd, but it seems to have fixed itself, as the heat is back to almost "too hot" until I shut it off myself. No other conditions changes (weather, vehicle use, vehicle maintenance) to explain the "fix". Just started working again this week. Not going to fix it if it isn't broke.

Maybe I'll start calling her Christine!

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
Odd, but it seems to have fixed itself, as the heat is back to almost "too hot" until I shut it off myself. No other conditions changes (weather, vehicle use, vehicle maintenance) to explain the "fix". Just started working again this week. Not going to fix it if it isn't broke.

Maybe I'll start calling her Christine!
Loose fuse?

Herrred

Reaction score
Fuse was not loose. Pulled it and it's fine. Damnest thing.

g00fy

Reaction score
It's amazing how stuff you never knew you needed suddenly becomes impossible to live without once you've had it. I remember when i got my 2015 1500 Big horn, I was already spoiled with heated seats, and on the window sticker I noticed the heated steering wheel and though "Oh that's neat" not realizing how much i would come to love it. After I traded that truck in on my 2019 tradesman, I missed the heated steering wheel more than anything, so I retrofitted a heated wheel into this truck. It just so happened though i couldn't get the wheel to work without adding the seats too :) .

Since the heated seats and the heated wheel share the same module, and the seats work fine, I'm thinking maybe something in the clock spring is bad. But it doesn't matter, what we think right or wrong, most techs feel they're above the opinions and suggestions of us simple non Mopar trained folk.

xnykr35

Reaction score
This is an older thread but I have a 2021 with this issue. Has been with the dealer almost a month. Replaced the wiring harness under the seat and the above mentioned module. Now they have the “RAM Engineers“ involved…..(what could possibly go wrong).

Mine stays on 20 seconds no matter what. Go Figure, just glad its covered and its a second vehicle so not missing the yard art right now.
Will update when it’s fixed. As an uneducated guess I am thinking something in the steering wheel itself perhaps the heating element is getting too much resistance and shutting off.

JerRam2021

Reaction score
This is an older thread but I have a 2021 with this issue. Has been with the dealer almost a month. Replaced the wiring harness under the seat and the above mentioned module. Now they have the “RAM Engineers“ involved…..(what could possibly go wrong).

Mine stays on 20 seconds no matter what. Go Figure, just glad its covered and its a second vehicle so not missing the yard art right now.
Will update when it’s fixed. As an uneducated guess I am thinking something in the steering wheel itself perhaps the heating element is getting too much resistance and shutting off.
Hello good sir, got myself a 2021 ram 2500 and having the same heating steering wheel issue. Did they ever figure out what was up with yours?

Metternacht

Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread