Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Headlights

JustMeAndMy3500

Reaction score
On previously owned Silverado 2500, it you engaged the emergency brake 1 or 2 clicks, that killed the lights so you weren't lighting up the neighbor at 3 in the morning.

JimmyZ

Reaction score
On previously owned Silverado 2500, it you engaged the emergency brake 1 or 2 clicks, that killed the lights so you weren't lighting up the neighbor at 3 in the morning.
Thank you for your response but I have a Ram so I’m still looking for a answer

jsalbre

Reaction score
If you’re in the US (it appears you’re in NC) the headlights and tail lights shouldn’t come on with a remote start if you have them turned to off.

JimmyZ

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply but I have turned the light dial from auto and to the left that I thought was off but they still stay on.

Darkside

Reaction score
My headlights don’t come on with remote start, but the running lights and signature lighting comes on, unfortunately I don’t think there is any way to prevent it unless someone has found something in settings.

flan

Reaction score
If you’re in the US (it appears you’re in NC) the headlights and tail lights shouldn’t come on with a remote start if you have them turned to off.
My Durango taillights and drl (2 led strips) come on with remote start. I always have the headlight dial set to off.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
In park headlights and taillights should be off if the switch is in off.

If you have a Laramie or higher trim then the signature lights will also be on. I believe you can turn them off with JScan and AlfaOBD, but then they will always be off. @Jimmy07 will know best.

As far as parking lights with remote start goes, I haven’t seen anything about being able to disable those but hopefully someone else will chime in with a solution.

JustMeAndMy3500

Reaction score
Thank you for your response but I have a Ram so I’m still looking for a answer
I thought it would be an easy read but...I KNOW you have a RAM, so don't I. I put that out there as a "maybe" it, YOUR RAM works the same

JimmyZ

Reaction score
I thought it would be an easy read but...I KNOW you have a RAM, so don't I. I put that out there as a "maybe" it, YOUR RAM works the s

I thought it would be an easy read but...I KNOW you have a RAM, so don't I. I put that out there as a "maybe" it, YOUR RAM works the same
Seriously thank you and I tried your suggestion and this is with the E-Brake on and the head light switch turned off

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    377.4 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 4

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Seriously thank you and I tried your suggestion and this is with the E-Brake on and the head light switch turned off

That’s parking lights and signature lights on.

Was that regular start or a remote start?

JimmyZ

Reaction score
That’s parking lights and signature lights on.

Was that regular start or a remote start?
Remote start. I have tried regular start as well with the same results. My main concern is with remote starting so my lig are not shining in my across the street neighbor at O dark 30 in the morning

jsalbre

Reaction score
There’s nothing you can do to stop the signature lights (the led lines on the top and bottom of your headlights) from coming on, but I find it odd your tail lights and clearance lights are coming on.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Parking lights being on with remote start is part of the programming, and is mentioned in the owners manual.

You should not have the same thing occur with the parking lights on a regular start of the switch is in the off position.

As mentioned, the signature lights are on anytime the engine is running or the ignition is in the on position.

I’d say use remote start less, it’s not good to cold idle these trucks anyways.

JimmyZ

Reaction score
There’s nothing you can do to stop the signature lights (the led lines on the top and bottom of your headlights) from coming on, but I find it odd your tail lights and clearance lights are coming on.
i don’t know either. That’s why I was hoping someone more knowledgeable than I could have a suggestion. Thank you anyway I appreciate your time.

JimmyZ

Reaction score
Parking lights being on with remote start is part of the programming, and is mentioned in the owners manual.

You should not have the same thing occur with the parking lights on a regular start of the switch is in the off position.

As mentioned, the signature lights are on anytime the engine is running or the ignition is in the on position.

I’d say use remote start less, it’s not good to cold idle these trucks anyways.
Wait a minute, I just observed that I should use the remote start less because a cold idle is not good for my truck. What is the difference between starting my truck with a regular start any different from a remote start. The reason I remotely start the truck is to allow it time to warm up before driving her. Is there a difference between the two ?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Wait a minute, I just observed tha I should use the remote start less because a cold idle is not good for my truck. What is the difference between star my truck with a regular start any different from a remote start. The reason I remotely start the truck is to allow it time to warm up before driving her. Is there a difference between the two ?

Best way to warm an engine up is to drive it, not let it idle cold. Start it and drive easy until it’s warm. Cummins considers more than 10 minutes of idle per hour of operation excessive. Excessive idling is bad for the engine and for the emissions system.

But as far as your headlight concern, are you saying that on a regular start the parking lights are coming on with the headlight switch off? Or that the signature lights are coming on?

JimmyZ

Reaction score
Best way to warm an engine up is to drive it, not let it idle cold. Start it and drive easy until it’s warm.

But as far as your headlight concern, are you saying that on a regular start the parking lights are coming on with the headlight switch off? Or that the signature lights are coming on?
ohh crap I just noticed that the rear taillights don’t come on with a regular start. Just the signature lights are on in the front. I am now feeling a bit silly. Thank you sir for your education

Users who are viewing this thread