Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Headlight Override 2024 2500

Buck76Duster

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there's a secret to turn off the headlights while driving? I'm sure these high intensity lights are blinding people in parking lots, and when we drive through Christmas light displays in the park it's better with running lights only. The only thing I've found so far that has any effect is setting the parking brake.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Wire up the plow light trigger wire to a switch to 12V positive. It will turn off the headlights and only have the signature/ parking lamps on

CdnHD

Reaction score
Just following on this, any luck with the wiring?

jsalbre

Reaction score
Unless you're in Canada you should be able to turn the lights to "parking" or "off" and that will shut the headlights off. The signature lights will still be on (the LED strip around the headlights) but the only way to get rid of that is by disabling them entirely with AlfaOBD.

Rama_Lama

Reaction score
This must be on the higher trim levels. My new tradesman has an option in the uconnect to turn off the DRL.
The headlight control knob left of the steering wheel turns all the lights off.

jsalbre

Reaction score
This must be on the higher trim levels. My new tradesman has an option in the uconnect to turn off the DRL.
On models with LED headlights there’s a light stop (the “signature” light) that can’t be turned off.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

Yes, the signature lights are on Laramie and higher trucks.

Signature lights are not considered DRL’s or part of the headlight switch.

The signature lights will still be on (the LED strip around the headlights) but the only way to get rid of that is by disabling them entirely with AlfaOBD.

It that an option now? It wasn’t last I looked into it.

Buck76Duster

Reaction score
I've tried every switch and setting inside the truck with no luck . When I parked in front of a restaurant last week, I blinded the poor folks inside. I'm going to try the plow light hack this weekend and will confirm.
I recall a previous vehicle, possibly my wife's Durango, if you turned the rotary to OFF and then pressed the dome light switch 2x, it would kill the headlights until the next start. I tried all manner of button presses I could think of last weekend, but no luck.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I've tried every switch and setting inside the truck with no luck . When I parked in front of a restaurant last week, I blinded the poor folks inside. I'm going to try the plow light hack this weekend and will confirm.
I recall a previous vehicle, possibly my wife's Durango, if you turned the rotary to OFF and then pressed the dome light switch 2x, it would kill the headlights until the next start. I tried all manner of button presses I could think of last weekend, but no luck.

Got a photo of what lights are on?

Buck76Duster

Reaction score
This is rotary switch off, wipers off, engine running......

Attachments

• 2024-02-29 18.17.10 (1).jpg
    2024-02-29 18.17.10 (1).jpg
    336.8 KB · Views: 25

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
That’s signature lights, plus parking lights, plus headlights.

That’s an odd one. I wonder if your headlight switch is bad.

Buck76Duster

Reaction score
Turning the rotary to off makes the dash lights go full brightness.
I did find the plow light wiring blunts under the PDC and connected BLK/V to +12V and that shuts off the headlights but leaves running lights on. This is the effect I wanted so now I'm trying to install a switch in the panel under the rotary. Hunting for convenient + and Gnd.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Turning the rotary to off makes the dash lights go full brightness.
I did find the plow light wiring blunts under the PDC and connected BLK/V to +12V and that shuts off the headlights but leaves running lights on. This is the effect I wanted so now I'm trying to install a switch in the panel under the rotary. Hunting for convenient + and Gnd.

I think I’d let the dealer look at it before adding a switch to a brand new truck that isn’t working correctly.

Buck76Duster

Reaction score
You may be right. I actually hadn't considered that it wasn't working properly. Maybe I got Canadian programming. Their rotaries don't have an off position. According to the manual "OFF" and "DRL" modes should work.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I think I’d let the dealer look at it before adding a switch to a brand new truck that isn’t working correctly.
The plow light wiring switch he is adding wont affect the dealer diag.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
You may be right. I actually hadn't considered that it wasn't working properly. Maybe I got Canadian programming. Their rotaries don't have an off position. According to the manual "OFF" and "DRL" modes should work.
What does your dial look light?

The plow light wiring switch he is adding wont affect the dealer diag.

No, but he shouldn’t have to add it.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
What does your dial look light?

No, but he shouldn’t have to add it.
I am not sure how your lights are setup down there but i agree at most only the signature light should be on with the switch on off and no DRLs. Here with my switch off i have only the Headlights on (halogens) with the DRL enabled so by turning the plow lights on i can have complete darkness

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I am not sure how your lights are setup down there but i agree at most only the signature light should be on with the switch on off and no DRLs. Here with my switch off i have only the Headlights on (halogens) with the DRL enabled so by turning the plow lights on i can have complete darkness

When my switch is off the only thing on is the signature lights.

What makes me think something is wrong is that his parking lights are on in the photo.

Buck76Duster

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I agree something is wrong. I kind of expect it buying a 2024 RAM in late 2023. When I put the switch in DRL, the signatures go off but the headlights stay on. I installed the rocker switch to enable snowplow mode and it does kill the headlights but leaves the low intensity lights on. That's what I wanted. When RAM fixes my software for the rotary switch, I'll find something else shiny to control with the rocker switch.

Users who are viewing this thread