Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HD Noob in Colorado

bigontheblue

Reaction score
Hey all - my 2004 Ram 1500 was totaled (twice - that's for another story). I've been wanting a 2500 or 3500 (SRW) for nearly a year to haul my slide-in camper. My wife and I love to crawl up mountains looking for the most views and the least # of people. With the dog, the camper and towing a side by side, we've explored a ton already. I'm really excited to now be in the drivers seat of a 2012 3500 Mega. I'm spending way too much on add-ons, upgrades and accessories but that's 1/2 the fun. It gets a spray in bedliner in two days, followed by in-bed LED strips. Oh the list is getting long but my paycheck isn't so... "moderation". I'm a hunter and a guide so the mega is super helpful with gear and clients - the in-bed lights are super helpful when gearing up for the trail at stupid:30 in the morning.

I'm also an engineer and have figured out that the wheel really doesn't need to be reinvented - like I needed degrees to figure that out. I break things for my day job and I fix things in my spare time - to be followed up with breaking them again - that's the fun right!? I have 25+ years of design, manufacturing and fabrication experience and the wife's new Jeep Wrongler (not a typo) and my new 3500 gives me plenty to work on and think about - sooooo many sleepless nights!

My 1500 had powered running boards and I loved them. In fact, I yanked them before they towed it. I have the boards, motors, controller and the important bits of the harness (for sale by the way). I also just grabbed up a set of running boards w/motors from a 2019+ Mega. I don't have the harness or controller for those boards. Getting those to work as quickly and is cheaply as possible is my next project.

Anyway - I'm very much a researcher and I think WAY outside the box so I should hope I can contribute and also learn from the vets here. My issue is time and available bandwidth - life as an empty nester is WAY too busy!! Speaking of vets - I did my time too and I appreciate those who spoke the oath.

CheerZ
Dash

bigontheblue

Reaction score
I suppose a pic of the rig makes sense. It's new to me so photos are limited....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230502_171733_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230502_171733_Chrome.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 12

BikePilot

Reaction score
Thanks that looks great! If you spend a lot of time on bumpy Forrest service roads like I do take a peek at Thuren suspension's website. 37" tires on 17" wheels also go a long way towards smoothing things out. They fit on these trucks even with stock suspension (you might need to do some minor work to the fender liner and pinch weld).

bigontheblue

Reaction score
Thanks that looks great! If you spend a lot of time on bumpy Forrest service roads like I do take a peek at Thuren suspension's website. 37" tires on 17" wheels also go a long way towards smoothing things out. They fit on these trucks even with stock suspension (you might need to do some minor work to the fender liner and pinch weld).
This has 35's on 17's and it rubs on hardware at full lock (very little liner rub). Do you run spacers to avoid rubbing with 37's? Agree that the ride will be nicer with bigger tires on smaller rims. I'll look into Thuren because I do spend a lot of time on forest roads.

BikePilot

Reaction score
This has 35's on 17's and it rubs on hardware at full lock (very little liner rub). Do you run spacers to avoid rubbing with 37's? Agree that the ride will be nicer with bigger tires on smaller rims. I'll look into Thuren because I do spend a lot of time on forest roads.
I'm running +18mm offset 17x9 wheels, no rub. Stock wheels are tucked in more (+57mm) and will rub a bit. If you want to keep the stock wheels you can do Thuren arms and sway bar and they will clear 37s on stock wheels.

BikePilot

Reaction score
Oh also I just realized yours is a 12. The suspension changed in 2013 though the truck bodies are the same. I'm not up to speed on what rubs vs does not on the '12. Thuren will know though.

Users who are viewing this thread