Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HD coil upgrade

Fishinful

Reaction score
I'm interested in increasing my coil strength for carrying a truck camper, and after driving it for a bit, im going to purchase a set.There are several progressive springs on the market and I haven't seen any comparison articles anywhere. Cargo Maxx, Dayton and others all boast about carrying capacity. Ill listen to anyone's opinion concerning coil springs. I understand completely all I need to know about airbags, im looking for information about progressive coil springs.

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I'm interested in increasing my coil strength for carrying a truck camper, and after driving it for a bit, im going to purchase a set.There are several progressive springs on the market and I haven't seen any comparison articles anywhere. Cargo Maxx, Dayton and others all boast about carrying capacity. Ill listen to anyone's opinion.
Have you tried the camper yet? I am impressed with the coils i have had 3000lbs in the bed it still had 1.5” to go till level..... i would go airbags if you really want to add suspension for a camper they mount further out than the springs so it will give more stability for the increased hight of the camper

Fishinful

Reaction score
Have you tried the camper yet? I am impressed with the coils i have had 3000lbs in the bed it still had 1.5” to go till level..... i would go airbags if you really want to add suspension for a camper they mount further out than the springs so it will give more stability for the increased hight of the camper
Yes, I have driven it several times ( as I stated in my OP) to the cat scale. I have timbren bump stops and will increase wheel size to 18" i noticed my front axle weight decreased with the camper on, so I'd like a little more height and a little heavier spring. Looking for some type of comparison in coil springs because thay all seem to make different claims.

Last edited:

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Air bags is what you’re looking for. If you’re worried about articulation then do air bag cradles with them

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Rather than go aftermarket, I'd be curious if using the 3500 or even 4500/5500 coils would be an acceptable upgrade? Not sure if there's a difference or not?
He is talkin rears not fronts

McHenry2500

Reaction score
I was under the impression the SO SRW 3500 used coils but I am incorrect here.

I will be the odd man out and say stiffer coils maybe better than air ride depending on the application. If an air bag has a failure it's alot more difficult to fix then a coil being damaged.

If it were me I'd go Carli and see if I can get stiffer coils without too much rear lift. Assume the weight of a camper will bring the tail end down a bit.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I was under the impression the SO SRW 3500 used coils but I am incorrect here.

I will be the odd man out and say stiffer coils maybe better than air ride depending on the application. If an air bag has a failure it's alot more difficult to fix then a coil being damaged.

If it were me I'd go Carli and see if I can get stiffer coils without too much rear lift. Assume the weight of a camper will bring the tail end down a bit.
Well, you’d be wrong on all points, imho

A: 2500 Coils are inboard of where the 3500 leaf springs mount. Adding airbags (outboard) would increase stability and capacity. more spring would just increase capacity with no effect to stability.

B: An airbag failure would be unlikely and would extremely easy to fix.

also, carli coils are softer than factory coils so that would be even worse. Carli coils are for people who want 1500 ride and payload

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Well, you’d be wrong on all points, imho

A: 2500 Coils are inboard of where the 3500 leaf springs mount. Adding airbags (outboard) would increase stability and capacity. more spring would just increase capacity with no effect to stability.

B: An airbag failure would be unlikely and would extremely easy to fix.

also, carli coils are softer than factory coils so that would be even worse. Carli coils are for people who want 1500 ride and payload
Yup about 18” wider c-c for the bags thats a huge difference in stability

McHenry2500

Reaction score
Fair enough.

OP; what size/model of camper are you considering? The size/weight of that may dictate what kind of additional payload accessories or modifications you'd need.

Fishinful

Reaction score
Fair enough.

OP; what size/model of camper are you considering? The size/weight of that may dictate what kind of additional payload accessories or modifications you'd need.
Thank you. I didn't realize how difficult it would be to get info specific to the question asked. I had hoped, given how knowledgeable readership in this HD forum is, they would have a fair understanding of all components of suspension, not just airbags.

So to answer your question succinctly, after following the advice of those much wiser than I, I selected a camper first, then bought a truck that could handle the weight. My load sticker is 3610, which is close to the max for a 2500, bought in May of last year, but due to covid, didn't get to see the unit I wanted to purchase until Jan. And was really disappointed and even though the weight was perfect, I passed on that purchase.

So not really knowing the exact weight of the camper I couldn't pass up, and half believing the dry weight sticker, I bought it. The bottom line is that I have a 4200 pound camper, wet weight, and my cat scale weights show im heavy 520 pounds on my rear axle.
I put timbrens on first and want to keep it that way, while failure of a bag or line in most applications requires a simple fix, it could be disastrous while overweight. I've seen enough airbag failures to know I dont want it, and the amount of pressure needed is not something I think is necessary.
In addition to being overweight, my front axle has lightened 300 pounds with the camper on.
So...I purchased vision 19.5 wheels which exceed the 3000 lb stock 17 inches I have, I also bought h rated tires which also have a 4000 pound rating. So I'm confident that my tires and wheels are rated higher than my load.

I also noticed the bump stop in the front of my camper is huge and will cut that to fit my truck, allowing my center of gravity to move forward almost two inches. I will also gain a physical height of an inch and a quarter from the bigger wheel, increasing my rake, which I hope will transfer some of the weight forward onto the front axle.
I'm not too concerned right now with sway, going up a driveway results in more side to side than I care for, but I realize I have a high center of gravity from several factors, all with the type of camper I have.

Which leaves me with coil springs. I'm not necessarily looking for more height, rather something thats not going to let go at the worst moment. Its been challenging to even find out what the weight rating is for stock springs, if they even exist or are measured as such. Most of what i can find in aftermarket weight ratings add up to less than the 6000 pound gawr. So is the rating for a fully compressed spring? Can someone explain how weight ratings are arrived at? Next is cost, supersprings are 600 bucks, while cargo Maxx and Daytons are a third. Why the price difference? Lastly, progressive or linear?

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
I'm interested in increasing my coil strength for carrying a truck camper, and after driving it for a bit, im going to purchase a set.There are several progressive springs on the market and I haven't seen any comparison articles anywhere. Cargo Maxx, Dayton and others all boast about carrying capacity. Ill listen to anyone's opinion concerning coil springs. I understand completely all I need to know about airbags, im looking for information about progressive coil springs.
I would do air bags, as they mount further outboard from the springs. I have them and they do wonders for stability. Just make sure the bags are independently controlled.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
GAWR is with the included stock springs. It's not just a rating for what the axle shafts can take.

Tire ratings are also each. Those 3k tires you replaced could handle 6,000 rear loading.

Users who are viewing this thread