Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Haven't seen this kind of comparo before

GBB

Reaction score
Firestone trans force did yhe ram in!

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
It's nice to see the 2500s get attention from rags, especially with Ram because all the attention is always on the 3500 HO. My favorite auto media TFL only ever mentions the top dog when talking about HDs.

The reason I think it's relevant/important is not because I have one or don't think the HO isn't great, but because I would guess the 2500 HD class makes up the majority of sales in the market to average Joe who isn't pulling commercial and is the weekend warrior. Specifically the crew cab, standard box 4x4 class. Those have to be the most prevalent trucks I see on the road here in the city.

I see posts saying Ram needs to do more with the 2500 like GM and Ford with numbers and trans, but really it's an ultimate weekend warrior set up already. I think the option to go to a leaf based HO 3500 and have it actually be something different than just a removal of the artificial GVWR number is an important market consideration.

Truck to truck the 2500 Ram is a killer package for the weekend warrior. Soft ride coils for the commute, SFA strength up front and articulation for hunting/wheeling, and the transmissions and gearing match the engine options very well and get (at least with 6.7) great mileage without the real need for having 46 gears just for the sake of having more gears. Enough power and control to tow any TT and all but the largest triple axle toy haulers (unless you're the type the will send it anyway because GAWR > GVWR). Add the interior, ultimate option box ticking customization, and the price point and I think Ram has the 2500 class nailed, regardless of less power and trans numbers in the specs.

kobra

Reaction score
@Habu987 - thanks for sharing the link, I think this is a really cool test for an HD truck comparison!
@GBB - I think you're right on the tires. The test result chart shows the RAM very competitive until about 3/4s of the way through the pull; likely just where the traction matters more. Considering both the others came with Wranglers, it would be interesting to see what would happen if those were on the RAM as well. This is an area where RAM really needs to step it up.
The most impressive thing to me is that the "old school" 6 cylinder / 6 speed can take line honors in a pulling contest. RAM is the slowest for 0-60 empty, but that's not why I bought an HD truck.

Thanks again guys!
B

Users who are viewing this thread