Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have an apt. today at my local VT Ford Dealership to have 'Fluid film' undercoating... should I wait?

Green_mtnMan

Reaction score
The more I think about it & the more I read up on it, I'm more inclined to wait. I have a sparkling new truck & by all accounts this stuff looks kind of like snot. Also, can I expect some of it to get washed away in the next mo. / mo. & a 1/2 before the snow starts to fly. Also wondering about warranty issues as the head of the service dept was telling me how they drill & plug holes to get the material up & in. I've never done this before, any tips - comments or smart remarks on my particular quandary here?

Btw, I'm not even sure that I'll have the new 3500 DRW on the road this winter at all, though it only takes one exposure to salt getting up in a crevice to begin the deleterious rusting process -I suppose, lol... BTW, anyone here swapping out dedicated wheel & tires to winter snows seasonally - I'm not sure I'll do it this season, but in general I like to have x 2 sets of dedicated wheels & tires for all my vehicles (though on this one it might get rather $ pricey)...

Last edited:

AMLumber

Reaction score
I just had the Krown stuff done and it sound similar. I did not think but it will drip off and cover the driveway. FYI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Green_mtnMan

Reaction score
I just had the Krown stuff done and it sound similar. I did not think but it will drip off and cover the driveway. FYI.

Does it look unsightly - fender arches, from the rear undercarriage etc?

AMLumber

Reaction score
After having it done, there is a little extra cleaning. Any weep holes may have the oily residue. After a while it stopped. It’s hard to notice that it’s on.

MikeXM

Reaction score
The more I think about it & the more I read up on it, I'm more inclined to wait. I have a sparkling new truck & by all accounts this stuff looks kind of like snot. Also, can I expect some of it to get washed away in the next mo. / mo. & a 1/2 before the snow starts to fly. Also wondering about warranty issues as the head of the service dept was telling me how they drill & plug holes to get the material up & in. I've never done this before, any tips - comments or smart remarks on my particular quandary here?

Btw, I'm not even sure that I'll have the new 3500 DRW on the road this winter at all, though it only takes one exposure to salt getting up in a crevice to begin the deleterious rusting process -I suppose, lol... BTW, anyone here swapping out dedicated wheel & tires to winter snows seasonally - I'm not sure I'll do it this season, but in general I like to have x 2 sets of dedicated wheels & tires for all my vehicles (though on this one it might get rather $ pricey)...
I had mine done a few weeks ago. BTW I prefer the yearly treatments over the 10 years stuff.
Either they will remove the door panels (at like 3X the cost) or they do the drill and plugs thing. I always had the later done on all my vehicles and it is just fine.
You want to do it early in season so the warmer weather will allow a better penetration of the product. So don't wait.

I bought a full set of wheels for my dually and installed new summer tires on them. Sold the 6 OEM tires and the OEM wheels will now be used for my winter set of shoes. I'm planing on getting Nokian studded LT3 when the season rebates show up.

Squatch

Reaction score
I put that stuff under my last truck using the spray cans. It was at the shop one day and the poor mechanic thought it was all from a fluid leak. he cleaned it all off trying to hunt the leak down, never found it. I barely had the heart to tell him it was all an intentional coat of fluid film.

Tom716

Reaction score
Question? Would you guy's recommend FF if your truck is never going to see salt? I am parking my truck in the garage for the winter as we have WAY to much salt on the roads here in WNY.

flan

Reaction score
I park mine for the winter in CT. Drive a beater around on the wet/snowy days. If it rains and washes the salt off the road I’d drive it in the winter if I needed it for some reason. I usually just use it to pull my camper. I wasn’t overly impressed when I fluid filmed my old 12 valve. I wouldn’t use it on my new truck. I’d use one of the more waxy undercoating available. We use them on our trucks at work and they hold up better then FF and the truck isn’t a slimy mess underneath.

SFC

Reaction score
I'd take the money from the undercoating and put it towards an unlimited car wash membership. The only way you're going to save your truck from salt is to get it off as soon as you can, no coating will stand up to it over the long-haul. I ran my old truck through 3-4 times a week and it's held up surprisingly well compared to some of the other 3rd gens I've seen.

Green_mtnMan

Reaction score
Well they've been at it for close to 2hr. now & still going, very thorough job! They started out drilling holes in all the doors - tailgate & any space they couldn't access & blowing the stuff in before plugging it back up. The stuff doesn't look bad at all, just gun metal gray & slick looking. When I leave here I'm supposed to drive some dirt roads to get dust up onto the stuff... Great process, & great service (small town VT) lol...

1599763774318.png1599763774318.png

zsqure

Reaction score
Another option is to get it oil sprayed every fall. Local to me is a guy who sprays new hydraulic oil. drill holes, plugs them, the whole thing. I have a daily wash pass at the local touchless car wash. my '14 Ram is rusting (never had it oil sprayed knew of it but thought not for me)....the wheel liners have rubbed the paint off and that is where the rust is. Also, in the center of the tailgate there is a 3" spot that is bubbling due to water laying in a seam where a bracket meets the skin, another spot rusting from the inside out. Then there is the aluminum hood that is bubbling along the front edge due to corrosion. All not bad enough within the 5 yr rust warranty period. A$$holes, all of them. $1200 to fix.

REYoungJr

Reaction score
Well they've been at it for close to 2hr. now & still going, very thorough job! They started out drilling holes in all the doors - tailgate & any space they couldn't access & blowing the stuff in before plugging it back up. The stuff doesn't look bad at all, just gun metal gray & slick looking. When I leave here I'm supposed to drive some dirt roads to get dust up onto the stuff... Great process, & great service (small town VT) lol...

View attachment 7025View attachment 7025
Where in VT did you get your truck done? I live just over the border in NH and had mine done in Norwich, VT, but they did not drill any holes for door or tailgate access.

Ford2transit

Reaction score
me too I live just over the border in NH and had mine done in Norwich, VT, but they did not drill any holes for door or tailgate access.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
me too I live just over the border in NH and had mine done in Norwich, VT, but they did not drill any holes for door or tailgate access.
You dont need holes drilled they have factory plugs where it can reach everywhere drilling holes is an old method for older vehicles.... fluid film creeps so it will get everywhere dont worry

Users who are viewing this thread