Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anybody installed a Door Keypad??

BEIS

Reaction score
Guys, I had an F-250 for 3 years, and it of course had the door keypad installed - which I loved. This keypad was integrated into the truck and allowed for you to put a keycode in and unlock/lock the doors. Later, I traded the F-250 in for a Tahoe. Turns out GM offers keypads as well, and these are stuck on the outside of the vehicle and communicate with the BCM to unlock/lock the doors. These keypads are very handy to have in the following scenarios:

- First responders that need to be outside of their running vehicles for extended time, and can lock the doors when they are not within reach of the vehicle
- Running into a store real quick to get something, and being able to lock your running truck with dogs inside (I commute through some dicey areas) - keeping the A/C or heat running
- Locking your key fob, wallet, phone in your truck if you are going on a hike/run/hunting/going out on the boat/going to the gym
- If my wife needs to get into the truck, and I'm out of the area with my keys, she can get in (I've got several trucks)
- You can keep your key fob inside the truck 24/7 and not have to ever take the key fob out of the vehicle (lots of people do this, especially if you store your truck in a garage)
- You can give your keypad combo to friends if you're away from the truck and they left something inside
- Any combo of the scenarios above

So the big question: has anybody installed a keypad on the new Rams? I love this feature. I don't think Mopar offers one. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

thestuarts

Reaction score
I agree with all of the benefits of the keypad, but Ram seems to be focusing their efforts on the mobile app that lets you remotely lock/unlock the doors, start/stop the engine, flash the lights, and send directions to the nav system. The mobile app definitely doesn't provide all the benefits of the keypad.

I don't use the mobile app as frequently as I would use a keypad because:
  • The mobile app is soooo slow. It often times out.
  • The mobile app only works if you have WiFi or cell service AND the truck has service. I am often camping at remote locations with horrible cell coverage.
I am software security engineer, so I worry about the security problems of a keypad:
  • Someone can observe you entering the code and gain access to the vehicle.
  • After entering the same code on the keypad for a year or more, a wear pattern develops on the buttons. This makes it easier for an attacker to guess your code.
  • People often use common, easy-to-remember codes, so attackers can gain access to the vehicle with less than 50 guesses.
I suspect nobody has released an aftermarket keypad for the Rams because the keypad would need to be integrated into the truck's security system otherwise the truck will think the door is being unlocked by an intruder.

BEIS

Reaction score
  • Someone can observe you entering the code and gain access to the vehicle.
  • After entering the same code on the keypad for a year or more, a wear pattern develops on the buttons. This makes it easier for an attacker to guess your code.
  • People often use common, easy-to-remember codes, so attackers can gain access to the vehicle with less than 50 guesses.
I suspect nobody has released an aftermarket keypad for the Rams because the keypad would need to be integrated into the truck's security system otherwise the truck will think the door is being unlocked by an intruder.

- Nobody can see your code if you punch it in quick and if you shield it with your body; and nobody is going to pay attention 99.99% of the time.
- I've had several keypads on Ford/GMs for years and never had buttons wear down. The older gen Fords had soft keypad buttons that could get dirty - so you just wipe them off
- Common codes - that's up to the user to develop a strong one - Ford and GM codes are 5 digit codes....if you input your code as 1-1-1-1-1, you're asking for it

- And with the mobile app - if you're out in the middle of nowhere hunting/fishing/camping/hiking/on a back road with zero or spotty cell phone service....you're SOL with the mobile app.

Last edited:

thestuarts

Reaction score
- Nobody can see your code if you punch it in quick and if you shield it with your body; and nobody is going to pay attention 99.99% of the time.

Someone who wants to gain access to your truck will be paying attention. They can record you entering the code with a high-resolution cell phone and replay the video at a slow speed.

- I've had several keypads on Ford/GMs for years and never had buttons wear down. The older gen Fords had soft keypad buttons that could get dirty - so you just wipe them off

When you push a button on your keypad, you transfer a small amount of heat to the button. The heat transfer can be used to detect the PIN code. Here is an article that explains the attack. Infrared cameras are very cheap, and you can even add an infrared camera to your cell phone.

Most likely, you won't be the victim of an attack, but if someone wants your truck, then a keypad is an easy security system to defeat.

Omar RVA

Reaction score
@BEIS the only decent aftermarket version (that I’ve seen) is the Compustar RPS touch as part of their aftermarket security systems.

OA

BEIS

Reaction score
Someone who wants to gain access to your truck will be paying attention. They can record you entering the code with a high-resolution cell phone and replay the video at a slow speed.

When you push a button on your keypad, you transfer a small amount of heat to the button. The heat transfer can be used to detect the PIN code. Here is an article that explains the attack. Infrared cameras are very cheap, and you can even add an infrared camera to your cell phone.

Most likely, you won't be the victim of an attack, but if someone wants your truck, then a keypad is an easy security system to defeat.

I appreciate your feedback here, and I understand your acceptance of risk is way different than mine. I'm trying to stop grab-and-go theft. Chances that I'll encounter a strategic attack or a dude with an IR camera is slim-to-none. So, my question still stands regarding finding a keypad solution.

@Omar RVA
I appreciate the video. Do you have any experience with this one?

Anybody else have any ideas?

Omar RVA

Reaction score
I appreciate your feedback here, and I understand your acceptance of risk is way different than mine. I'm trying to stop grab-and-go theft. Chances that I'll encounter a strategic attack or a dude with an IR camera is slim-to-none. So, my question still stands regarding finding a keypad solution.

@Omar RVA
I appreciate the video. Do you have any experience with this one?

Anybody else have any ideas?
Unfortunately not personally. I knew someone who did vehicle electronics when I used to live in Northern VA and he swore by their products however. My understanding is that quality and longevity are highly dependent on the installer as much as it was the product (i.e. if you go this route don’t get it installed at Best Buy).
OA

thestuarts

Reaction score
- Common codes - that's up to the user to develop a strong one - Ford and GM codes are 5 digit codes....if you input your code as 1-1-1-1-1, you're asking for it

The PIN problem is more insidious than single-digit codes. Humans are not good at remembering random numbers, so we tend to assign meaning to numbers. Things like birthdays, anniversaries... or we translate the numbers into their equivalent word meaning (LOVE = 5683).

If someone can approximate your age (either by seeing you or looking at your social media profile) or they can guess the age of your important relatives, then it narrows the search space to a limited number of PIN codes. Most codes begin with 1-12 (for the month) or 19 or 20 (for the year) or end in 1-31 (for day of month) or a year.

People like to use PINs that repeat: 0202, 9988, etc.

People like to increment by 2: 1357, 2468, etc.

These human tendencies can be exploited to significantly reduce the number of attempts are required to guess someone's PIN.

There have been numerous studies on pin codes, but this is one of my favorites:

Having said all that, I would still use the hell out of keypad if it was available. I'm just explaining some of the security concerns the Ram security engineers probably considered when they decided to support the mobile app instead of a keypad.

@JC

Reaction score
1 of the ford's worst features (besides the hideous interior, unusable Sync and the ridiculous 2 step front window cutout) is that hokey keypad on the door. And you want to add an aftermarket one? Too each their own. Just use Uconnect.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
Guys, I had an F-250 for 3 years, and it of course had the door keypad installed - which I loved. This keypad was integrated into the truck and allowed for you to put a keycode in and unlock/lock the doors. Later, I traded the F-250 in for a Tahoe. Turns out GM offers keypads as well, and these are stuck on the outside of the vehicle and communicate with the BCM to unlock/lock the doors. These keypads are very handy to have in the following scenarios:

- First responders that need to be outside of their running vehicles for extended time, and can lock the doors when they are not within reach of the vehicle
- Running into a store real quick to get something, and being able to lock your running truck with dogs inside (I commute through some dicey areas) - keeping the A/C or heat running
- Locking your key fob, wallet, phone in your truck if you are going on a hike/run/hunting/going out on the boat/going to the gym
- If my wife needs to get into the truck, and I'm out of the area with my keys, she can get in (I've got several trucks)
- You can keep your key fob inside the truck 24/7 and not have to ever take the key fob out of the vehicle (lots of people do this, especially if you store your truck in a garage)
- You can give your keypad combo to friends if you're away from the truck and they left something inside
- Any combo of the scenarios above

So the big question: has anybody installed a keypad on the new Rams? I love this feature. I don't think Mopar offers one. Thanks in advance!
Keyless Enter-N-Go will facilitate the first two bullets. The remainder, not so much.

Billcf7

Reaction score
1 of the ford's worst features (besides the hideous interior, unusable Sync and the ridiculous 2 step front window cutout) is that hokey keypad on the door. And you want to add an aftermarket one? Too each their own. Just use Uconnect.
Not everyone uses a cell phone for everything. I myself had Fords for years and that is the first thing I missed

Ruffone

Reaction score
I’ve had those door keypads on each of my last two Ford work trucks and not once have I ever used them, I never even set them up. To me it’s just another useless gimmick, I’m surprised they haven't tried making it a fingerprint reader yet.

Dr__Bob

Reaction score
This is an old thread but I'll try to revive it. I also just moved from an F-250 to a 3500, and that is one feature that I really miss. I used it *all* the time. I keep my truck outside, and that meant that I could leave the house with no keys, as I could always open the truck and hit the garage door opener. When camping, I could leave the trailer keys in the truck, knowing that I could always get them (yeah, we've gotten locked out of the trailer with the keys in the trailer...). We could leave the dog in the truck when running into a store for something quick and leave the engine and a/c running (OK, the keyless entry works for that, I know). The Uconnect app is a pos. It often times out. And, as far as I know, it's only free for the first year, correct? It seems to be tied into the Sirius subscription, although I could be wrong there. Anyway, having a way to get into the truck with *no* external devices was a real pleasure and it is about the *only* thing I miss from my Ford (well, that and the tailgate step, although that should be fixed this weekend). Anyway, my two cents for what I see to be a needed addition to the Ram...

Squatch

Reaction score
Seriously, if someone goes through the trouble to record your code, or guess your code, they can also go through the trouble of picking up anything hard and smashing your window. Key codes only keep honest people out, if they want to get in, they will, there is no stopping them short of sitting next to it 24/7 with a big stick.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
This is an old thread but I'll try to revive it. I also just moved from an F-250 to a 3500, and that is one feature that I really miss. I used it *all* the time. I keep my truck outside, and that meant that I could leave the house with no keys, as I could always open the truck and hit the garage door opener. When camping, I could leave the trailer keys in the truck, knowing that I could always get them (yeah, we've gotten locked out of the trailer with the keys in the trailer...). We could leave the dog in the truck when running into a store for something quick and leave the engine and a/c running (OK, the keyless entry works for that, I know). The Uconnect app is a pos. It often times out. And, as far as I know, it's only free for the first year, correct? It seems to be tied into the Sirius subscription, although I could be wrong there. Anyway, having a way to get into the truck with *no* external devices was a real pleasure and it is about the *only* thing I miss from my Ford (well, that and the tailgate step, although that should be fixed this weekend). Anyway, my two cents for what I see to be a needed addition to the Ram...

Correct, SiriusXM Guardian is free for the first year. Without it, the app is useless.

Seriously, if someone goes through the trouble to record your code, or guess your code, they can also go through the trouble of picking up anything hard and smashing your window. Key codes only keep honest people out, if they want to get in, they will, there is no stopping them short of sitting next to it 24/7 with a big stick.

Correct, if someone wants your stuff, they'll just smash & grab. That said, it's not like they can drive away with just a door code.

DownShiftz

Reaction score
I was thinking about this recently. With all the cameras and voice assistant tech they are slowly implementing into vehicles I think it’s just a matter of time before we see facial and voice recognition allowed entry/start. Pros and cons for everything I guess.

Squatch

Reaction score
Haha, hence my tradesman. You wouldn’t believe how long I held out on tapes before switching to CDs, and now those are even gone. I fear change...

Dr__Bob

Reaction score
Haha, hence my tradesman. You wouldn’t believe how long I held out on tapes before switching to CDs, and now those are even gone. I fear change...
I just want a keypad! :) Has anyone tried any of the aftermarket versions? I found 3 different ones, but not at all sure that any would work with a new-fangled-computer-controlled-everything system that late model vehicles have.

Squatch

Reaction score
Just curious, have you tried getting out while it’s running and locking the door with your keys and walking away. I know my truck keeps running if I get out and walk away with the keys in my pocket, I just haven’t tried locking it while it’s running.

Users who are viewing this thread