Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harsh trans clunk and engine knocking dealer no longer responding to me.

Guitarshredder7

Reaction score
This is not the type of post I wanted to make about my 2022 power wagon. Truck has about 19k miles, and already has a couple issues. The transmission shifts HARD from 5-4-3 under braking. It feels like the truck is getting rear ended. Dealer has seen the truck twice for this, did a relearn, and now is saying ‘cannot replicate’. The engine also makes a very concerning noise on cold start. Sounds like a failed lifter. Same thing, ‘cannot replicate’. I have provided them video evidence and they told me to take my keys and get a second opinion. Scratching my head at what to do. I am beyond frustrated. This is not the kind of service I expect on a 70k+ vehicle. Any ideas?

I will attach some videos down below of the engine noise.

chap442

Reaction score
find another dealer, Contact Ram Customer service, The sound is a little difficult to diagnose with a recording- it is a light sound so not likely a severe engine knock. The hard shifting may be electroncic- a sensor, range finder, or computer shift tied to rpms. There are good and bad dealers- sometimes you just have to keep looking for the right dealer. If it is still under warranty always make sure you get it documented and a copy of the work order when you take it into the dealer. Where are you located?

Guitarshredder7

Reaction score
find another dealer, Contact Ram Customer service, The sound is a little difficult to diagnose with a recording- it is a light sound so not likely a severe engine knock. The hard shifting may be electroncic- a sensor, range finder, or computer shift tied to rpms. There are good and bad dealers- sometimes you just have to keep looking for the right dealer. If it is still under warranty always make sure you get it documented and a copy of the work order when you take it into the dealer. Where are you located?
I agree with ya there. The real frustrating part is I started the truck to leave the dealer after they told me to get lost, and bam. The engine was doing it right in their parking lot. Then, leaving, the first downshift past 5th, into 4th, same thing. CLUNK. I’m in central WI. I have another appt on Friday with a different dealer. But my hopes are rather low. I’ve been working in automotive/aviation my whole life. A little hard to tell in the video, but it sounds like a failed lifter to me. Same exact noise the 3.6 in my gladiator made right before it ate up a bunch of cam lobes.

oppizzippo

Reaction score
It sounds like an exhaust leak to me. The hemis are known to warp exhaust manifolds. Have another dealer check for an exhaust leak. As for the trans, I remember on a forum back when I had my charger that low fluid caused harsh downshift. Might have someone check the fluid level.

WildBill138

Reaction score
Been through this, check my engine noise thread. All you have to do is show that tick video to dealership, and demand they pull the intake and check the oil control valve for metal shavings. Dont look anywhere else until that has been done.
If a lifter has failed it will make that tacking sound and grind on the cam leaving shavings in the oil control valve.
Ram mechanic Service bulletin states engine is beyond repair if metal shavings from cam has gone thru the engine. Engine replacement is required.
I got a new 6.4 engine in my 22'.
Service departments have been trained to scam people so helping is not first nature. The mechanics are usually good if you can get to them.

The trans sounds ok. I cant say how yours feels. But they do downshift pretty rough especiqlly with the 4.1p gears. Just dont mash the gas before it shifts into drive and it should be good.

Guitarshredder7

Reaction score
Been through this, check my engine noise thread. All you have to do is show that tick video to dealership, and demand they pull the intake and check the oil control valve for metal shavings. Dont look anywhere else until that has been done.
If a lifter has failed it will make that tacking sound and grind on the cam leaving shavings in the oil control valve.
Ram mechanic Service bulletin states engine is beyond repair if metal shavings from cam has gone thru the engine. Engine replacement is required.
I got a new 6.4 engine in my 22'.
Service departments have been trained to scam people so helping is not first nature. The mechanics are usually good if you can get to them.

The trans sounds ok. I cant say how yours feels. But they do downshift pretty rough especiqlly with the 4.1p gears. Just dont mash the gas before it shifts into drive and it should be
Thank you for the advice!

Just had the second dealer (third visit) look at the truck and tell me, again, no faults found. They refuse to drive the truck with me in it to experience the problem first hand, and the videos are not enough for either dealership to look at anything inside the engine without me paying the engine tear down fees. I am fed up with RAM right now. And this is all after an engine failure in my gladiator where the dealership wouldn’t even change my oil after the passenger side camshaft disintegrated and sent metal shavings all throughout the engine.

Verbatim the service rep at the second dealership said ‘take your keys and get a third opinion’.

Not sure what to do now. The trans sounded absolutely terrible on the drive home, clunking in and out of 4th gear, and the valve train made the noise on the first startup in the dealer lot.

WildBill138

Reaction score
Wow thats poor service. Its a pretty simple check for the oil control valve. It should be obligatory for a dealership to check on that concern free of charge. Maybe they should get better mechanics that can do those checks in their sleep to keep people happy and trusting the brand.
Also there should really be warranty only centers owned by RAM. Third party dealerships are so slimy now a days. Theres no point in markups or salesman if they know less than the customers. We dont need them.

Edit: all that being said. RAM seems to be good on their word once you get the qualified check for what the vehicle requires. Its almost like the dealership see no incentive to fix warranty work. Ram cares does offer assistance to these issues.

Last edited:

Guitarshredder7

Reaction score
Wow thats poor service. Its a pretty simple check for the oil control valve. It should be obligatory for a dealership to check on that concern free of charge. Maybe they should get better mechanics that can do those checks in their sleep to keep people happy and trusting the brand.
Also there should really be warranty only centers owned by RAM. Third party dealerships are so slimy now a days. Theres no point in markups or salesman if they know less than the customers. We dont need them.
I’m generally a really easy going guy. I work on aircraft. I understand bad parts or hard to diagnose issues. But this is getting out of hand. I just want my truck fixed so I can enjoy it. I don’t want my camshaft/lifter or trans to finally give out when I’m out exploring in Colorado and actually using my power wagon as an off road rig. Probably the worst part of all this is how the service reps are talking to me. I’m in my mid-20’s, so they catch an attitude with me thinking I don’t know squat about anything.

WildBill138

Reaction score
You can go about it like a lawyer now. Prove your car is not making normal sounds, refer to ram service procedures to diagnose said sounds. Please perform via your warranty contract.
To prove your car is abnormal have it run side by side with an exact model, record the sounds. Or get a confession that it sounds loud by a service rep. That was my approach, but the dealer immediately recognized that i did infact have abnormal sounds.

Guitarshredder7

Reaction score
After even more trial and error with more dealerships and appointments, and contacting RAM Cares and the Stallentis hotline, it seems I am on my own for these issues. Not sure what to do now.

matemike

Reaction score
The ram service department in my small home town is worse, I promise. and it's two hours to any other dealership, so I'm stuck with their worthlessness.
I could bring my truck in for new tires and oil change and they will say they need to replace the radio.

Anyway, about the trans clunking, is your hill start assist activated in the safety and driving settings?

read this thread.

Driver

Reaction score
Not sure if it's the same tranny, but I had a factory new 8 speed installed in 2019. Initially it banged like crazy on downshift. It clunked so hard, i literally looked in the mirror to see if the rear had fallen out. After some reprogramming that was solved.

Talk to ramcares, they can create a case for you. Likely you'll be heading to dealer 3.

Users who are viewing this thread