Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harmonic isolators missing on 22 PW?

CI6

Reaction score
Wondering if all 22 PWs came without the harmonic isolators. On both sides, the wiring is there but caps have been put instead of the isolator.

This is the part

In the process of installing rock sliders and noticed them missing. Is this from the chip shortage? does the PW have the MDS turned off? My understanding is that they are supposed to dampen when the MDS is activated.

Last edited:

CI6

Reaction score
figured out the right name

it is called an ATMM Actuator

here is the part number 68363377AB

Seems like i did not get all of my 2022 PW parts installed, maybe the chip shortage resulted in no MDS and therefore no need for this.

Only had the ECO light up show up a couple of times, but not convinced that means MDS being activated.

jadmt

Reaction score
I have read several reports of this so my guess is it has to do with the chip shortage and must not be needed as people say they can not feel any undue vibrations. when your eco light comes on hit the +/- button (hit the minus) on your steering wheel and see if you can perceive and difference. try and be on a smooth road going like 40 mph or so. music off fan off or low etc.

CI6

Reaction score
will try and see if there is a difference, would be estatic if MDS is not present

jadmt

Reaction score
will try and see if there is a difference, would be estatic if MDS is not p
Even with the isolators, you can still feel MDS kick in. I'm also not entirely sure the isolators are there solely for MDS.
that is my understanding too. I thought it had something to do with the stiffer frame as well. If no one actually notices they are gone I might pull mine, cut down on weight lol. probably throw a code and put me in limp mode and void my warranty.....

CI6

Reaction score
Can’t tell a difference when eco light goes on, no difference when hitting the -, doing this in the city so may not be hearing the difference but no noticeable change in the feeling of engine vibrations via the steering wheel

Crossing my fingers no MDS

Last edited:

jadmt

Reaction score
if you are feeling it in the steering wheel you have mds, I would be extremely surprised if it was left off simply because of the atmm's being left off.

CI6

Reaction score
Oops typo, meant to say No noticeable

I’ll edit my post

jetrinka

Reaction score
I've never felt MDS through the steering wheel at all. Its always been a certain frequency felt through the truck itself as well as an audible exhaust noise difference. That being said its also always been very light - almost not noticeable. I hear it much more now with the aftermarket muffler I have put on but it still doesn't bother me.

I promise you the truck has MDS. They've just gotten good at masking the feeling/sound of it in stock form.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
In one of the articles that introduced ATMM on the 1500 it called out that ATMM would only work when MDS is active. I can't find anything that states the same for the HDs, but can't see why it would be tuned any different.

CI6

Reaction score
Is there any other way of telling if mds is activated

I can not feel or hear a difference when eco light turns on, and when I use the - gear shift also no difference

Without the ATMM presume it would be easier to feel it come on, if MDS is actually a feature on my MY22 PW

jetrinka

Reaction score
Your truck likely had a build sheet. It’ll say MDS in the engine description on it

CI6

Reaction score
Yes and by vin I’m supposed to have two ATMMs and can confirm they were not installled on the truck

So maybe RAM owes me parts, those are not cheap

jetrinka

Reaction score
Well if you get a mirror in so you can see under the intake you should see 4 MDS solenoids. It doesn’t mean they are activated but the engine would have been built with it. I suppose just like the diesels the new Hemis could have come without certain things installed/enabled with a recall in mind. We heard about that with the diesels though not the Hemi

JamesEvan

Reaction score
Wondering if all 22 PWs came without the harmonic isolators. On both sides, the wiring is there but caps have been put instead of the isolator.

This is the part

In the process of installing rock sliders and noticed them missing. Is this from the chip shortage? does the PW have the MDS turned off? My understanding is that they are supposed to dampen when the MDS is activated.
Found out mine were missing on my 22 PW when we installed my carli kit, confirmed with the RAM they weren't on my build. Don't really notice MDS kicking in so not sure they would have made much of a difference.

Chris85xlt

Reaction score
i could feel the MDS on the Ram 1500 but nothing on the 22' PW. i thought maybe Ram got really good at masking the MDS

Edit: I just looked underneath and also missing the two ATMMs

Last edited:

Hibiki54

Reaction score
Found out mine were missing on my 22 PW when we installed my carli kit, confirmed with the RAM they weren't on my build. Don't really notice MDS kicking in so not sure they would have made much of a difference.
So what did Ram do when they said they were not on your build?

JamesEvan

Reaction score
So what did Ram do when they said they were not on your build?
Nothing, just said it wasn't part of my build nor could they find a part # for it. So either supply chain issues, they aren't including them in our model moving forward or both. If you want to notice MDS just remove your mid-muffler like I did :D

Users who are viewing this thread