Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harman Kardon stereo

Rgpracer

Reaction score
The Harman Kardon stereo works pretty good but like for it to do a little better. Has anyone changed or enhanced the stereo in their trucks? If so, with what or what have you done to do it.

Thanks

Reactions: J-J

Jsboening

Reaction score
I have not, but from what I gather if you swap speakers you need an adapter cable to disable or override the active noise cancelation if your truck is equipped with it. Otherwise you’ll get terrible drone from it.

Basser53

Reaction score
I've heard swaping the tweeters can make a big difference.. probably have better luck on an audio forum.. I'm sure there's ways to improve the quality , probably just depends on what you want to spend..

Basser53

Reaction score
My HK system sounds awsome. Even better on Sirius.

What exactly are you trying to fix?
I agree the hk sounds good for a factory radio but there is always something better out there.. to me the highs are a lil harsh and the bass can be a lil boomy ,but everyone hears a lil different..

Basser53

Reaction score
I have always felt like Sirius radio is being played out of an empty soup can. Anyone else feel that way?
I have most of my music recorded lossless wave or flack file on a thumb drive. there's noticeable difference between that and sirius. I use Sirius for sports or news mostley

Ickabod

Reaction score
Since I have the Alpine system, I can say for sure about an upgrade in the truck. But, in my BMW X3, I upgraded all of the speakers to Infinity Reference speakers. Good speakers make all the difference.

JimmyZ

Reaction score
The Harman Kardon stereo works pretty good but like for it to do a little better. Has anyone changed or enhanced the stereo in their trucks? If so, with what or what have you done to do it.

Thanks
See my post from JimmyZ. The factory Harmon Karden speakers are china fakes. I installed infinity speakers and was night and day difference. Without any noise canceling modifications

Myfast70

Reaction score
See my post from JimmyZ. The factory Harmon Karden speakers are china fakes. I installed infinity speakers and was night and day difference. Without any noise canceling modifications
I'm getting ready to install those as well. Will this also require the adapter for noise canceling? If so, got a link?

lovegolf44

Reaction score
Did you happen to post details on the speaker replacements? I searched the forum, didn't see anything. TY

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Interesting you found Sirius sounds good. When I tried Sirius XM it sounded like crap. To each his own I guess.
Maybe it has to do with how the system is set up as far as the equalizer is set and center point set of the sound. Everybody sets them up differently I'm sure.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
As far as speakers go, anyone try using Focal's in their truck?

I set up a system in the wife's truck using Focal's and it sounds awesome. Only issue I can think of in our trucks with using the Focal's is that the tweeter is separate from the cone speaker and you have a tunable crossover that would have to be mounted somewhere that is accessible to tune the system.

Also I notice that when you turn up the volume in the RAM, you can hear the sound outside of the truck. Seems like it needs some dyno matting in areas around the speakers.

That may be my first project as far as working on the sound system, Dyno matting areas around the speakers. On the wifes truck, I did the metal around the speaker mounts, both sides, and placed a big square on the door skin directly behind the speakers. You can barely hear the sound outside of the truck when its turned up.

lovegolf44

Reaction score
Maybe it has to do with how the system is set up as far as the equalizer is set and center point set of the sound. Everybody sets them up differently I'm sure.
I agree. It seemed to me at the time that Sirius transmission from satellite was avg quality because of their compression format unless it's changed over the last few years. If they could broadcast their signal in HD quality like regular radio stations that would make quite a difference. Perhaps they can't get around compressing the signal because of bandwidth and it is what it is.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I think Sirus is HD. Or at least digital. And most of the radio stations around here that I listen to are not HD. Maybe that's the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread