Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hard Shifts all of a sudden to 2nd and 6th gear

boris939

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have a 22 with 27k miles that just started doing this. 2nd and 6th hard shifts. Did anyone figure out what's causing it and what stopped it? Just trying to figure out if I should give it time to work itself out or to bring it to the dealer to get checked out. Just a little back story. We went on a trip for a week in the mountains and I used the exhaust break alot due to the inclines. I got back and started driving without it and thats when it started. The temperatures also have recently been colder. I don't know if either of those things have anything to do with it , but I thought I'd mention it in case someone else had the same situation to try and figure out a pattern of when it is happening.

Thompsre08

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have a 22 with 27k miles that just started doing this. 2nd and 6th hard shifts. Did anyone figure out what's causing it and what stopped it? Just trying to figure out if I should give it time to work itself out or to bring it to the dealer to get checked out. Just a little back story. We went on a trip for a week in the mountains and I used the exhaust break alot due to the inclines. I got back and started driving without it and thats when it started. The temperatures also have recently been colder. I don't know if either of those things have anything to do with it , but I thought I'd mention it in case someone else had the same situation to try and figure out a pattern of when it is happening.
Well my experience wasn't great. At 35k miles my transmission failed.... took 50 days and no loaner to get a new one installed under warranty. I'm less than pleased with RAM.

boris939

Reaction score
Well my experience wasn't great. At 35k miles my transmission failed.... took 50 days and no loaner to get a new one installed under warranty. I'm less than pleased with RAM.
Thanks for the reply. It seems to have gotten better the last couple of days. Did it ever get better after the initial time it started happening?

Thompsre08

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. It seems to have gotten better the last couple of days. Did it ever get better after the initial time it started happening?
Yes it did after they reset it and made it relearn. Would be worth checking to see if you truck is posting any subtle engine codes though. My tranny didnt completely fail. It started sounding somewhat harmonic at certain RPMs and then i pulled a code that signaled bigger problems.

boris939

Reaction score
Yes it did after they reset it and made it relearn. Would be worth checking to see if you truck is posting any subtle engine codes though. My tranny didnt completely fail. It started sounding somewhat harmonic at certain RPMs and then i pulled a code that signaled bigger problems.
I'll check and see if I have any engine codes. Hopefully it'll finish clearing up and I won't have any more issues. And if I do hopefully it is before the warranty is up lol. Thanks again for the info. If I have more issues I'll post an update here for anyone else that may be having the same problem.

Thompsre08

Reaction score
I'll check and see if I have any engine codes. Hopefully it'll finish clearing up and I won't have any more issues. And if I do hopefully it is before the warranty is up lol. Thanks again for the info. If I have more issues I'll post an update here for anyone else that may be having the same problem.
Hopefully you have better luck than I did!

Users who are viewing this thread