Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hard Shifts all of a sudden to 2nd and 6th gear

Thompsre08

Reaction score
Well this is new. 2022 Ram 2500 Cummins with 68rfe tranny and 6900 miles on it. Driving home from work today transmission started slamming from first to second in town to an uncomfortable level. Then once I got on the road and got through the gears fifth to sixth did the same thing. Gonna call the dealer tomorrow but curious if anyone has had anything similar. I run the exhaust brake 100% of the time and run tow haul now and then. Mostly highway miles with trailer towing here and there. My 2017 2500 had 77,000 trouble free miles with the same towing regiment. Hopefully it mellows out.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Well this is new. 2022 Ram 2500 Cummins with 68rfe tranny and 6900 miles on it. Driving home from work today transmission started slamming from first to second in town to an uncomfortable level. Then once I got on the road and got through the gears fifth to sixth did the same thing. Gonna call the dealer tomorrow but curious if anyone has had anything similar. I run the exhaust brake 100% of the time and run tow haul now and then. Mostly highway miles with trailer towing here and there. My 2017 2500 had 77,000 trouble free miles with the same towing regiment. Hopefully it mellows out.
Are you saying you use tow/haul without a trailer on? If so that may be the issue if you did it during the trans learning stage, i would say try a quick relearn and see if that clears it out

Thompsre08

Reaction score
Are you saying you use tow/haul without a trailer on? If so that may be the issue if you did it during the trans learning stage, i would say try a quick relearn and see if that clears it out
Good call there. Never thought about that being in the learning stage. Just disconnect battery terminals for 30 minutes type of reset or I need a ref lash at the dealer?

Thompsre08

Reaction score
Well I pulled the battery terminals for about an hour and then went for a drive. Still shifting very hard. Is there a certain gear that the torque converter locks or is it an rpm?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Well I pulled the battery terminals for about an hour and then went for a drive. Still shifting very hard. Is there a certain gear that the torque converter locks or is it an rpm?
Id get the dealer to do a quick relearn if you do not have alfa obd

Thompsre08

Reaction score
I will be dropping the truck off tomorrow morning at the dealer. For now my guess is it is tied in with the line pressure and the valve body on the transmission. At very low speed and low throttle input, the shift to second makes the truck shutter because it shifts so hard. But under load and an RPM of 1500-2000, the shift is smooth. The shift to sixth shutters but not as violently, but again, the rpms are typically lower because I'm not burying the throttle at the speed where the truck wants to shift to 6th. Hopefully its a quick re-flash, but after driving this weekend I'm not so confident. More info to come soon.

Thompsre08

Reaction score
Got my truck back yesterday afternoon. They we able to reproduce the issue under 1500 rpms. No codes thrown so they reflashed the transmission and its not "as bad" but its still there. They told me to drive it and see if itll learn its way out of it so we will see. If it detonates, now i'll have an argument for them to pay for the tow. I guess we will see from here. Its slammed hard a few times today but i'm just trying to take off at 1500rpm or higher to keep it shifting smoothly....

Riddick

Reaction score
Did you recalibrate your speedo when you installed your wheels and tires? I don't think this is your issue since you installed these awhile back but throwing out all variables. On previous trucks when I put on larger tires it would shift harsh until the trans relearned.

Thompsre08

Reaction score
Did you recalibrate your speedo when you installed your wheels and tires? I don't think this is your issue since you installed these awhile back but throwing out all variables. On previous trucks when I put on larger tires it would shift harsh until the trans relearned.
I did not. I ran the same size tires on my 2017 CCSB Cummins for 80,000 miles and had no issues. There was a definite moment in time when the shifting characteristics changed last week shifting into 2nd and 6th. My brain is screaming valve body because at higher rpms with more line pressure its smooth. I'm going to keep driving and see if it improves but for now I'll just accelerate through first gear a little faster to keep it smooth. For the tire size even at 70 MPH, I'm only off 1-2 MPH so its not a huge difference. If i put 37's on i would definitely recalibrate and possibly re-gear.

Bigsekc66

Reaction score
Got my truck back yesterday afternoon. They we able to reproduce the issue under 1500 rpms. No codes thrown so they reflashed the transmission and its not "as bad" but its still there. They told me to drive it and see if itll learn its way out of it so we will see. If it detonates, now i'll have an argument for them to pay for the tow. I guess we will see from here. Its slammed hard a few times today but i'm just trying to take off at 1500rpm or higher to keep it shifting smoothly....
Did the dealer ever figure it out? I have a 22 3500 SRW, with 6100 miles. Doing the same exact thing. Just started out of no where. Thanks

Pyro84

Reaction score
2022 2500 20,000 miles just started doing this exact same thing. Scheduled for the dealer.

Demoes4

Reaction score
My 2021 Ram 3500 HO with 4200 miles started doing he same thing with a check engine light (bad temp sensor) temperature would go from normal to -22 degrees coming to a stop I took it in to the dealer and they replaced the Temp sensor and (internal) harness they also re-flashed the PCM and the TCM with TSB 21-002-21 Go it back two days later and drove it 200 - 300 miles before the same thing started happening again I'm just not getting the CEL, I'm afraid to hook up my Fifth wheel with this 4200 mile freakin nonsense condition so I'll be taking it back in to see what's next.
I've read some posts where other people with the same issue mentioned the TSB 21-002-21 (see attached) worked to certain degree but not completely solving the problem.

Demoe

Attachments

• TSB 21 002 21.pdf
    65.7 KB · Views: 27

unclelala

Reaction score
My 2021 Ram 3500 HO with 4200 miles started doing he same thing with a check engine light (bad temp sensor) temperature would go from normal to -22 degrees coming to a stop I took it in to the dealer and they replaced the Temp sensor and (internal) harness they also re-flashed the PCM and the TCM with TSB 21-002-21 Go it back two days later and drove it 200 - 300 miles before the same thing started happening again I'm just not getting the CEL, I'm afraid to hook up my Fifth wheel with this 4200 mile freakin nonsense condition so I'll be taking it back in to see what's next.
I've read some posts where other people with the same issue mentioned the TSB 21-002-21 (see attached) worked to certain degree but not completely solving the problem.

Demoe
What is the build date on yours?

Ktm2smoker

Reaction score
Interesting, as HO has a different trans and de-fuels the shift from 1st to 2nd. Might this move the focus off the tranny to the trans control modules or even the ECUs? Are the trans modules the same or different?

prosper75

Reaction score
Hi I'm having the same issue with my 21 ram. Did the dealership figure it out?

DoomsDayMarz

Reaction score
exact same issues with my '22 3500 - 15k miles. Started feeling it around 12k but was on the road and wanted to see if it was still in this "learning stage" but it's gotten progressively worse, especially if you hit stopped or slow-moving traffic on the freeway and it's downshifted from 6th. Getting out of 1st seems laborious and chunky. This is helpful as all hell. I'm definitely taking it to my dealer this week. Way too new to be feeling what im feeling.

Last edited:

Thompsre08

Reaction score
@prosper75 @Sqrl$$ @DoomsDayMarz

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you guys, I was locked out of my account for a while. The dealer reset the truck and had me have it relearn shift points again. In this stage ive actually changed my throttle application style if that makes sense. More line pressure (higher the RPM) the smoother this tranny shifts and that has remained true to form since this first popped up. It'll shift hard every now and again when i'm feathering the throttle or in a coasting type situation but on acceleration, i make sure to give the truck enough throttle to stay in the 1,500 RPM range and it shifts firm and smooth.

DoomsDayMarz

Reaction score
extremely helpful. I went in to the dealership and was told there and and "update" available. Didn't do much to improve the shifting. (not a big fan of this particular dealership, very dismissive). I found myself changing my throttle application once i got a feel for where the hard shifts were coming. You put it into words perfectly and i've focused my attention on doing so. I hope this isn't one of those things that you convince yourself is getting better before it gets worse, but we shall see. I just rather it crap out now than hold on past warranty mileage. Either way, Very helpful, thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread