Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halogen to LED BSS taillights

Rt9bil

Reaction score
My Bighorn came with halogen headlights, taillights and fogs. I am in the process of swapping everything to led. I have found a bunch of the used led bss taillights for sale. Are the bss tails plug and play? I have no intentions of ever activating the bss on my truck, I just want the led. Will they work?

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
you'll need a new tail light jumper as the led and halogen have different connectors. you can use either jumper.

Rt9bil

Reaction score
Ok thanks. I’ve seen the jumper harnesses, but I thought they were plug and play on the 5th gen models. Thanks for clearing that up.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
you have to do a couple changes in the bcm for them to work correctly as well. worth the effort, though.

Rt9bil

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. One more question, will the bss taillights work on a non bss truck? I came across a few different posts, some say they won’t and some say they do. I have found a pair for sale locally and don’t to find out the hard way that they won’t work for some weird reason.

Musclelogic

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. One more question, will the bss taillights work on a non bss truck? I came across a few different posts, some say they won’t and some say they do. I have found a pair for sale locally and don’t to find out the hard way that they won’t work for some weird reason.

Yes, they will work just fine in a non-bss truck. I found a gaggle of these for $75 each, ordered the RetroShop adaptor plugs, programmed the led tail settings with AlfaOBD and have been fine since. Did these in December when my truck had 300 miles on it.

411266390_684209630523248_3078941305254042819_n.jpg

Rt9bil

Reaction score
Nice. Thats exactly the info I needed. Thank you.

G Mcpherson

Reaction score
I have not been able to find many of these. See them on CL every once in a while 75.00 is a great deal. I'd jump on that.

Rt9bil

Reaction score
Yea, I wish I could find a pair for $75. Cheapest I have seen them used on CL or marketplace is $600.

K4LMP

Reaction score
Has anyone hooked up the LED tails, without changing in the BCM? I changed to LED tails in my Jeep, and I didn't have to make the changes with JScan. My truck is a 2024 2500 Tradesman w/6.4 Hemi.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Has anyone hooked up the LED tails, without changing in the BCM? I changed to LED tails in my Jeep, and I didn't have to make the changes with JScan. My truck is a 2024 2500 Tradesman w/6.4 Hemi.
Your light harness must have had resistors in it otherwise it would have hyperflash and lamp out messages usually

K4LMP

Reaction score
I'm not sure, but, everyone on the forums that have changed the Jeeps to LED tail lights, it seems to be plug n play. My niece has a Sport Jeep, and hers worked fine, as well. I don't mind changing mine using Jscan, I just didn't want to have to dig the SGW out from behind the cluster. If I do, I will put an extension on the cables, and move it under the dash, if possible.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure, but, everyone on the forums that have changed the Jeeps to LED tail lights, it seems to be plug n play. My niece has a Sport Jeep, and hers worked fine, as well. I don't mind changing mine using Jscan, I just didn't want to have to dig the SGW out from behind the cluster. If I do, I will put an extension on the cables, and move it under the dash, if possible.

See my reply on your other post. You don't need to remove the cluster, you need to use the better bypass solution.

Users who are viewing this thread