Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Guess I need an offset ball...

Wmhjr

Reaction score
Does the AUH allow a GN connection?

Still wouldn't trust it.
Yes it does. Though like you, I don't trust it. It's design should in fact force you to reduce your maximum tongue weight due to it moving the focal point of force rearward on the truck. How much? Don't really know, and don't care. I don't trust it.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes it does. Though like you, I don't trust it. It's design should in fact force you to reduce your maximum tongue weight due to it moving the focal point of force rearward on the truck. How much? Don't really know, and don't care. I don't trust it.

It's not so much the pin weight that concerns me with the AUH, though I do agree it should be derated if used, it's the pull/stop strength. Too many fail posts with stories and pics of failures due simply to emergency braking.

Wmhjr

Reaction score
It's not so much the pin weight that concerns me with the AUH, though I do agree it should be derated if used, it's the pull/stop strength. Too many fail posts with stories and pics of failures due simply to emergency braking.

Can't say I disagree. The only thing I would think it has a use for is in the case of a dire emergency, being really careful and only when there is no other option.

Ironcowboy

Reaction score
I pulled a 40ft 5th wheel Keystone Raptor Toyhauler with my Anderson hitch. Setup in Shortbed mode. It's strong no movement. I'm totally happy with it and have no concerns or issues. It's a strong system, works great!

Wmhjr

Reaction score
I pulled a 40ft 5th wheel Keystone Raptor Toyhauler with my Anderson hitch. Setup in Shortbed mode. It's strong no movement. I'm totally happy with it and have no concerns or issues. It's a strong system, works great!
Please don't take this the wrong way, but...

I can walk across an interstate blindfolded and happen to not get hit by a car or truck.
About 40 years ago in my youth, I got away with driving in conditions that I should never have been behind the wheel.
The fact that I walked away unscathed from both of those situations does not make them "good", "Safe", or "recommended". If you play Russian Roulette and happen to survive, does that mean it's "safe"?

I personally think it's criminal that Anderson is not forced to disclose that their hitch SHOULD derate the payload (pin weight capacity) of ANY vehicle using them. Why? This is not my "opinion". This is fact. Anyone who understands the math behind GVWR, Payload, pin weight, etc should easily understand this.

In ALL circumstances - not even just when using the Anderson to move the trailer connection back for short bed trucks (but even MORE so then) the Anderson hitch causes downward force (load) to be distributed BEHIND THE AXLE. Whether "officially" people are required to consider this or factor it in, does not make it any less factual or true. When you use it on a short bed, it SIGNIFICANTLY alters the geometry and load.

I see people pulling way heavier trailers with 1/2 ton trucks and getting away with it. Doesn't make it safe, or right. Just like with this hitch. I sincerely hope anyone using one stays safe. However I would never, ever, ever allow anyone in my family be be near one. I'm sure there are folks here on this forum who have pulled more than I have. But I personally have hundreds of thousands of miles pulling pretty heavy. This ain't my first rodeo. There are way more examples of this hitch failing in various scenarios that just don't seem to occur with "traditional" GN or 5W hitches. Seems to me that even beyond the incredibly obvious physics problems, that would be enough. No matter how much todays world seems to demand it, "easy" don't make it "right".

Ironcowboy

Reaction score
All I can say is it works beautifully for me. I do tow all over the country. I love it!

BSN81

Reaction score
I know this is an older post, but I'm wondering if anyone on this site has tried this set up yet? https://genyhitch.com/product/goosepuck/. It seems like it would be a legit option for up to 25k pounds in the gooseneck. I would love to hear some reviews and i hope someone has tried it with the Reese Goosebox. I don't want to be the tester. Haha.

UglyViking

Reaction score
I know this is an older post, but I'm wondering if anyone on this site has tried this set up yet? https://genyhitch.com/product/goosepuck/. It seems like it would be a legit option for up to 25k pounds in the gooseneck. I would love to hear some reviews and i hope someone has tried it with the Reese Goosebox. I don't want to be the tester. Haha.
I was trying to find the thread but can't. I just saw someone post on a FB group about this exact thing today saying he loved it. It was literally the first time I had seen such a thing and thought it was cool. GenY makes good stuff, wouldn't hesitate to run it personally.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
It would work fine and the price is actually not bad for a gen-y hitch they are usually way over priced

BSN81

Reaction score
I was trying to find the thread but can't. I just saw someone post on a FB group about this exact thing today saying he loved it. It was literally the first time I had seen such a thing and thought it was cool. GenY makes good stuff, wouldn't hesitate to run it personally.
Good to know, thanks. I have a Megacab DRW on order and I would like to ditch the slider hitch I have and go to goose ball set up. I would pair it with the Reese though to not void the warranty. Biggest concern is the turning radius and hitting the cab of the truck. This seemed like a very good solution, there is just no videos or reviews out there yet.

I would volunteer, if gen-y is listening, to try it out and give reviews. Lol.

tchur1

Reaction score
Good to know, thanks. I have a Megacab DRW on order and I would like to ditch the slider hitch I have and go to goose ball set up. I would pair it with the Reese though to not void the warranty. Biggest concern is the turning radius and hitting the cab of the truck. This seemed like a very good solution, there is just no videos or reviews out there yet.

I would volunteer, if gen-y is listening, to try it out and give reviews. Lol.
I’m considering this route on a very similar setup. If you do give this a shot i look forward to your feedback.

And I’ll second being a guinea pig if gen y is looking lol

BSN81

Reaction score
I’m considering this route on a very similar setup. If you do give this a shot i look forward to your feedback.

And I’ll second being a guinea pig if gen y is looking lol
I'll definitely let you know if we go this route. But it'll be months for us as we are still waiting for the truck to be built. Our hopes is that by May-ish we get our truck. Perfect time for camping season!

Pearce

Reaction score
I was about to get the geny till I found the B&W extend a hitch. Just received it yesterday. I prefer the idea of keeping the pin weight in the original location. And I like the adjustability of the B&W. Cheaper too.
However, I'm just towing an enclosed car hauler not a big camper.

1674224060506.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread