Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grinding in 4H

No Ma

Reaction score
Looks like you're lifted on larger tires (can't tell for sure from video clip). If so, the sound is similar to what we had with our truck after lift and bigger tires. Turned out to be the rzeppa joint on the transfer case side of the front drive shaft.

Only happened when in 4wd and turning left or right or the front suspension flexes when in 4wd. Stopped after the suspension flex went away or the wheels straightened out, or when taken out of 4wd. The fix for our truck was a double cardan front drive shaft. A lift with bigger tires is too much for the rzeppa CV joint on the stock drive shaft.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you sure 4wd fully engaged? You shouldn’t be using 4wd on hard, dry surfaces.

waveslayer

Reaction score
Are you sure 4wd fully engaged? You shouldn’t be using 4wd on hard, dry surfaces.
I agree, truck was stopped to allow it to engage.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

waveslayer

Reaction score
So an update. Dealership says something is wrong, but they first need to replace the driveline, so waiting on that part... hmmm

CaptainMike

Reaction score
Mine does the same thing. The dealership replaced the whole pumpkin but that didn't fix the problem. They now believe it's the driveline as well, but there is no current fix for it. They did say that Ram engineers are looking into the problem, for whatever that's worth.

This has been discussed in another thread and here is a company that makes a patented replacement driveline. I have reached out to them, but I'm giving Ram a little more time to figure it out before I plunk down $1300 + on a new driveline. https://drivelinesplusinc.com/2019-2023-ram-2500-3500-front-driveshafts/

waveslayer

Reaction score
Mine does the same thing. The dealership replaced the whole pumpkin but that didn't fix the problem. They now believe it's the driveline as well, but there is no current fix for it. They did say that Ram engineers are looking into the problem, for whatever that's worth.

This has been discussed in another thread and here is a company that makes a patented replacement driveline. I have reached out to them, but I'm giving Ram a little more time to figure it out before I plunk down $1300 + on a new driveline. https://drivelinesplusinc.com/2019-2023-ram-2500-3500-front-driveshafts/
I took a look at those earlier. Crazy to me that they aren't sure.... glad it's under warranty and eventually lemon law. I just need my truck back for a trip this weekend. Been at the dealership for over 2 weeks

joshuaeb09

Reaction score

That's just gone on my list of parts lol. Honestly I thought the double cardan was fine and I'd rather lube one than randomly have a CV joint fail. From a durability perspective serviceable parts that are more durable are why I drive a 2500 and not a max tow/payload halfton configuration that could do what I need to do... that and the 6.7 is just great for highway fuel consumption.

waveslayer

Reaction score
Update:

Dealership, after 1 month! Finally returned my truck because they are waiting on parts. They first replaced the driveline, didn't fix the issue. Opened up the transfer case and found metal shavings all over. Now we are waiting for a new transfer case, gears that is.... what a pain!

RyanShine12

Reaction score
Update:

Dealership, after 1 month! Finally returned my truck because they are waiting on parts. They first replaced the driveline, didn't fix the issue. Opened up the transfer case and found metal shavings all over. Now we are waiting for a new transfer case, gears that is.... what a pain!

Did you find a solve for this? I am currently having the exact same issue. Truck went to dealer end of June, just getting it back today. The did front shaft and replaced the T-Case (metal shavings). Tech said spider gears have some pitting as well, but not out of tolerance. He said it still is making the grinding sound in 4x4, and has drive shaft slap still (front to back). He's suggesting drive it for 90 days, then come back for carrier bearing. He also mentioned Ram Engineering is aware of this issue, and they have 3 other trucks in for this as well. He thinks something to do with CV vs U-joint shaft, but can't be sure. There is a Ram tech forum he's in, and there are a lot of techs discussing this with no real solve. So wondering if you found one. He also suggested a drive line spacer (I have 6" lift with 37x13.50x22, big offset on a 19 2500 6.7).

I'm thinking at this point, heck with a spacer, I'm swapping out the front shaft for a 1410 double cardan, Adams Driveshafts makes one as well

waveslayer

Reaction score
Did you find a solve for this? I am currently having the exact same issue. Truck went to dealer end of June, just getting it back today. The did front shaft and replaced the T-Case (metal shavings). Tech said spider gears have some pitting as well, but not out of tolerance. He said it still is making the grinding sound in 4x4, and has drive shaft slap still (front to back). He's suggesting drive it for 90 days, then come back for carrier bearing. He also mentioned Ram Engineering is aware of this issue, and they have 3 other trucks in for this as well. He thinks something to do with CV vs U-joint shaft, but can't be sure. There is a Ram tech forum he's in, and there are a lot of techs discussing this with no real solve. So wondering if you found one. He also suggested a drive line spacer (I have 6" lift with 37x13.50x22, big offset on a 19 2500 6.7).

I'm thinking at this point, heck with a spacer, I'm swapping out the front shaft for a 1410 double cardan, Adams Driveshafts makes one as well
Nope, they called me today and said they finally got the T Case!!!! That took a long long time!!!! Total joke. I'll keep this updated. Truck goes to the dealership on Wed.

RyanShine12

Reaction score
Yeah mine was there for the entire summer waiting on a tcase, got it back on Friday. Didn't fix anything. Back to the dealer it goes. I'm pretty convinced it's the carrier.

Users who are viewing this thread