Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grinding/Groaning when pulling onto driveway or going over speed bumps - Coil Isolator

duncb

Reaction score
Hi all,

6-12 months ago I noticed a groaning sound when pulling onto my driveway or driving over speed bumps. I could feel this through the wheel and had the dealer take a look.

I also noticed the front rivers side coil spring didn't appear to be in the same position as the passenger side.

The dealer took care of this and I forgot all about it.

Well the noise is back and when I looked at my springs the drivers side appears to be making contact with the frame and I'm wondering if this is normal or could be causing the sound.

This is the passenger side - not gap between front of spring and frame (right side or spring)

IMG_5575.JPG

and this is the drivers side - notice spring is touching the frame.

IMG_5576.JPG

I haven't been off road for a long time and the problem seems to have repeated itself.

Last time the dealer said they had installed the springs on the wrong side on the front but that seems unlikely.

Do any of your front springs look like this? - it's a 2020?

Thanks

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Does your axle look like it’s pushed forward?

MtnRider

Reaction score
What do your radius arm adjusters look like? I'd bet the one on the drivers side is way out of adjustment.

duncb

Reaction score
Axle seems ok - wheel looks to the in the same place both sides. I've just thrown my back out and can't get under it to look at any adjustment on the radius arms but I haven't touched it since I bought it.

Truck has only done 25k since new and other than the occasional dirt road it's led a pretty sedentary life

duncb

Reaction score
Dealer just called and they are replacing both front coils. Happy they agreed there was an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread