Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grid heater failure - 2500 6.7

Slappnbass

Reaction score
Yall better check yours! Anyone ever have this issue before?
Truck is around 1600 miles and grid heater burns up and alternator goes out. Truck has been at dealership for almost a week now. Very little effort it seems on the dealership side to get this fixed. It's been there for 6 days now for them to just tell me these things are bad (alternator and grid heater). As of today the grid heater hasnt even been removed to find out if the inside bolt has melted off. If so, there goes the motor! You would think Chrysler would want to know these things rather quickly. Very unimpressed with RAM / Chrysler up to this point.

cummins6.7junk

Reaction score
here's the outcome.... my truck 2022 2500 laramie 6.7. Grid heater bolt broke off and went into number 6 cylinder. Mopar warranty saying there are no motors to replace it with.. sit here and wait with a $85000 piece of junk. thats the outcome nobody has accountability anymore

relbus

Reaction score
Man this is hard to believe Ram/Cummins still has not fixed this. The grid heater bolt took out my 2013 Ram. The banks intake horn and heater were on my list of parts for my 2020 when it was wrecked. This time around the horn will be going on within the first month or so of ownership.

Strangely enough has anyone heard of the bolt taking out a 3rd gen 6.7? Seems I only ever read of 4th gen +

CJ_Diesel

Reaction score
Had it happen on my 2017 last summer. My truck is actually the one in the Banks videos of the new Gen 2 intake that really got the grid heater issue out there. Hopefully Ram or Cummins is paying attention and does something about it for the next drivetrain refresh in (hopefully) 2024. Cost me a fortune to put a new engine in, when my 23 finally shows up, it'll be getting the Banks intake as well.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Strangely enough has anyone heard of the bolt taking out a 3rd gen 6.7? Seems I only ever read of 4th gen +
I believe they changed the heater design in 2013 compared to the 07.5-12

cummins6.7junk

Reaction score
I would definitely do your research on this the other risk is also this and exactly what happened to my 2022 LAramie that is still brickewd.

The lead connected to the bolt arcs out and can cut the bolt which then drops into the number 6 cylinder. This happened when I was idling down a small hill at 25 mph. Blew the engine, now they are trying to use an oil change maintenance records loophole to back out of the engines replacement (40k) and of course thiss system has nothing to do with OIL.

Killer Grid heater bolt ISSUE

Users who are viewing this thread