Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Government Caught Cheating……..Oh the irony.

Units

Reaction score
Has anyone seen this? (Link below)
Sounds to me like a double standard in regards to diesel and ev standards. Guess someone owes Cummins some money back!

CharlieL

Reaction score
To help back this up:

I tried to search the Federal Register but ran out of time. Maybe someone can try to do that. This was my search string...try some others.
Do a google search for 65 FR 36987. The federal register page will take you to a proposed rule published 4/11 /2023 For “Petroleum Equivalent Fuel Economy Calculation.” I haven’t taken the time to read the whole thing, but knowing it is a proposed Rule, not an adopted rule means I won’t be buying her a cup of coffee.

Last edited:

JimKIII

Reaction score
The
Do a google search for 65 FR 36987. The federal register page will take you to a proposed rule published 4/11 /2023 For “Petroleum Equivalent Fuel Economy Calculation.” I haven’t taken the time to read the whole thing, but knowing it is a proposed Rule, not an adopted rule means I won’t be buying her a cup of coffee.
I read that FR and it can't be discounted completely as only 'proposed'. Check out this part of that FR:

"The extant EV equivalency values are instead based on other statutory provisions applicable to gaseous fueled vehicles, with the consequence that EV CAFE values are driven by the seven-fold multiplier of the “fuel content factor”[41] rather than the statutory factors applicable to EVs. The effect is that EV CAFE values are significantly inflated beyond what the relevant statutory factors contemplate.

The consequences of outdated regulations are not academic. Because NHTSA is prohibited from considering the fuel economy of EVs when determining the maximum feasible CAFE standards for a given model year,[42] but must include EVs when calculating compliance with those standards,[43] excessively high imputed fuel economy values for EVs means that a relatively small number of EVs will mathematically guarantee compliance without meaningful improvements in the real-world average fuel economy of automakers' overall fleets."

I BOLDED the critical point. If the 'proposed' factor/calculation is to be 6.67, is this FR stating/implying that it is already 7x's?

JimKIII

Reaction score
OK - I finally found Federal Register Vol 65 page 36987. This is not a proposal but a final rule. Whether that final rule has been amended is another question. It may be that what @CharlieL posted is a proposed rule change to this final rule? I don't know.

The PDF of the final rule is here:

"EFFECTIVE DATE: This final rule is
effective July 12, 2000."

This is what the article is referring to.

JimKIII

Reaction score
One last comment on this. In the 4/11/2023 "Petroleum Equivalent Fuel Economy Calculation", which indeed is a proposal, the crux of the article is:

"DOE also included a provision for DOE to review part 474 five years after the date of publication of the June 2000 Final Rule to determine whether any updates and/or revisions are necessary. See10 CFR 474.5.
DOE has not updated part 474 since the June 2000 Final Rule. "

Explicitly stated in '65 FR 36986', which the OP's linked article references is:
"The NOPR (Notice of Proposed Rulemaking) explicitly states (§ 474.5) that DOE will perform a review five years after publication of the final rule to determine whether any updates and/or revisions are necessary."

Conclusion: I will buy this article's author a coffee anytime. She was spot on in accusing the govment of underhandedness by correctly reading the July 12, 2000, Federal Register rule. That rule still stands as 'FINAL', almost 20 years after it was to have been reviewed -- which never happened.

Last edited:

CdnHO

Reaction score
EVs are a fantasy that the leaf licking government created to line their own pockets. Manufacturers and consumers are finally starting to realize it is not going anywhere for a myriad of reasons. And the states haven't even started to charge a per mile road tax to offset the gas tax they EVs are not paying. It is what we in the north call a Goat Ropin.

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
Way to many overpaid people in Washington that don't have a clue and yet they make the confusing overlapping useless rules

Units

Reaction score
That's called shrinkage. Most of us experience that in cold weather.
Well, if “shrinkage” did occur and I used the government’s sliding scale for ev’s, then I wouldn’t have to worry about getting any pee on my pants when it’s cold out and I stop to relieve myself by the road while driving my emissions defeating diesel powered truck. :p

jebruns

Reaction score
And the states haven't even started to charge a per mile road tax to offset the gas tax they EVs are not paying.
Most of the states in the USA are doing that, with an extra fee tacked on when you get your plates renewed each year. My state even has a $50 charge for non-plug in hybrids.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Guy over on 5thgenrams is fighting GA that they assessed a Hybrid fee to his e-torque when the law is clearly written it does not meet the criteria for their definition of a Hybrid.

Users who are viewing this thread