Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got the DEF see dealer message yesterday

Firebird

Reaction score
Dropped her off this morning, and dealer said it needs 1 DEF line replaced. Said it should be ready to pick up tomorrow. That's pretty decent service and service time, hopefully that solves the issue. This is my first error code, 17,500 miles

Rzrbrn

Reaction score
Bought 2019 Ram Laramie 2500. A couple of months ago, at roughly 14k miles, got engine code for Def failure, took it to dealer and had DEF pump replaced under warrenty. Dealer said bad DEF liquid. Said to only buy DEF from dealers because they store it it climate controlled areas. Currently towing TT across the US and use whatever is available. If DEF system again fails, I may just go back to gas. Which would be too bad, I really like my diesel.

Firebird

Reaction score
This was my
Bought 2019 Ram Laramie 2500. A couple of months ago, at roughly 14k miles, got engine code for Def failure, took it to dealer and had DEF pump replaced under warrenty. Dealer said bad DEF liquid. Said to only buy DEF from dealers because they store it it climate controlled areas. Currently towing TT across the US and use whatever is available. If DEF system again fails, I may just go back to gas. Which would be too bad, I really like my diesel.
This was my first ever DEF code in 3 DEF Cummins trucks, so hopefully, I'm good to go now

Reactions: CFE

CFE

Reaction score
...Said to only buy DEF from dealers because they store it it climate controlled areas.
does it say that on the jugs? I only have 7.5k on mine but reading about all of the troubles/issues with the DEF system, I'll venture down the off-road purposes only route sooner than later.

Rzrbrn

Reaction score
DEF jugs are date stamped. I try to buy as fresh as possible. Some containers could have been tampered with so inspect if possible, prior to putting into tank. Excessive Heat and Cold greatly reduce lifespan.

unclelala

Reaction score
Since last year Ive noticed most of the def hasn't been date stamped. All Ive been able to find locally in the last 6 months is Air 1 brand and I have not found a date code on my last 3 jugs, not on the jug or the box surronding the jug.

Rzrbrn

Reaction score
Yes, I have purchased a jug or two without first finding a date stamp. Thought It was just my poor eyesight.

Wileykid

Reaction score
Unless the DEF is stored outside, every store that carries it, is storing it in a climate controlled environment like the dealer, inside. He is just trying to get you to buy over priced DEF that is no different from the Walmart brand at half the cost. Been using the Walmart brand for seven years without any issues. If you want the freshest DEF, get it from the pumps at the truck stops, if I am on the road with my trailer, that is what I do.

kennelpj

Reaction score
Unless the DEF is stored outside, every store that carries it, is storing it in a climate controlled environment like the dealer, inside. He is just trying to get you to buy over priced DEF that is no different from the Walmart brand at half the cost. Been using the Walmart brand for seven years without any issues. If you want the freshest DEF, get it from the pumps at the truck stops, if I am on the road with my trailer, that is what I do.
exactly. The dealer is not paying for climate controlled transport either. Those things are stacked 5 high on a pallet and shipped via the cheapest option available in a truck experiencing cold winter highways and sitting in the blazing heat of a trailer during the summers. Then it gets dropped off at the dealer and they put it in storage somewhere, probably inside, just like every other seller of DEF.

They just want you to pay them for DEF rather than some other vendor. Even under recommended fluids in your owner's manual, it just mentions to use Mopar DEF OR ISO compliant DEF.

1669818179730.png

Nick

Reaction score
The DEF problems are blown way out of proportion to the amount of trucks on the road . Carry a diagnostic scanner . Simple to operate and you can clear codes which may never come back . Been there done that .

Rzrbrn

Reaction score
Nick, that is interesting. I clear codes on my 2005 Jeep Liberty diesel because the company does not support the software and the engine light/issues have been addressed by a number of different Dodge dealerships. My truck is a 2019 and does not quite have 20k miles on it so I was hesitant to just clear the code. I would hate to be wrong and have it shut down on the road when pulling my travel trailer. But I may just give it a try. Thank you.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The DEF problems are blown way out of proportion to the amount of trucks on the road . Carry a diagnostic scanner . Simple to operate and you can clear codes which may never come back . Been there done that .
Most DEF or emissions codes wont clear unless it has the proper operating parameters

Will_T

Reaction score
Yes, I have purchased a jug or two without first finding a date stamp. Thought It was just my poor eyesight.

Since last year Ive noticed most of the def hasn't been date stamped. All Ive been able to find locally in the last 6 months is Air 1 brand and I have not found a date code on my last 3 jugs, not on the jug or the box surronding the jug.

I have seen this on the Blue DEF brand a few times also. I guess it must not be a requirement to put a manufacture code on DEF.

Nick

Reaction score
Most DEF or emissions codes wont clear unless it has the proper operating parameters
I only had one and it cleared and never came back . Nothing ventured nothing gained .

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I only had one and it cleared and never came back . Nothing ventured nothing gained .
I was never able to clear mine. Yours may have been a fluke or the issue was resolved and a few key cycles would have cleared the code anyway?

Users who are viewing this thread