Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gooseneck trailer buying advice

chas0218

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a smaller 20'+4' deck over trailer. It's a 14k gvwr 4 wheel brakes, dexter axles, 10 ply tires just your typical equipment trailer. It is 8" channel frame with 16" o.c. 3" cross members. This is my first gooseneck is there anything that's a must have on the trailer?

I'll be using it to hual my 35hp tractor+backhoe, logs for firewood and a truck from the south for snow plowing.

Im thinking a standard gooseneck car hauler but want the payload for firewood and logs. I like the size of the 24' with the dovetail i really dont want a 30' deck.

Truck is a 2022 2500 with hemi and 4.10s towing capacity is 16k or close and payload is 2400lbs.

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
You may want more axle cap the trailer is easily 5k so that means 9k weight capability… must haves is a tool box, ability to mount winch, L.E.D. lights and spare tire mount

RichM752

Reaction score
8k axles off much better brakes. The pads are 9/16" compared to 1/4" and magnets are much larger.

chas0218

Reaction score
You may want more axle cap the trailer is easily 5k so that means 9k weight capability… must haves is a tool box, ability to mount winch, L.E.D. lights and spare tire mount
Yeah I'm thinking the same about heavier axles. They offer spare tire mount.
8k axles off much better brakes. The pads are 9/16" compared to 1/4" and magnets are much larger.
Didn't know that about the brakes, good point.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Yeah I'm thinking the same about heavier axles. They offer spare tire mount.

Didn't know that about the brakes, good point.
Either 2x 8k axles or 3x 7k axles personally i like a tri axle as it removes some pin weight but the bigger brakes on the 8-10k axles are nice to have if you tow lots

chas0218

Reaction score
So the 10k axles are out as I wouldn't ever be able to haul that much and they are dual tandem, I don't want the hassle of having duals. The 8k axles added about $2500 to the cost, realistically I would be over the trucks capabilities (according to RAM) with the 8k axles as it would be with the trailer and load transfer of the GN. As for the brakes the 7k axles have 12x2 on both axles so brakes on both axles. The weight of the trailer is 4400 so realistically it would hold 9600lbs. that is quite a bit more than my tractor weighs and allows me to put an attachment or 2 on the trailer with the tractor. I should be able to get around 10k or just a touch over with the hitch transfer and still be able to haul around some gear.

I'm not against a bigger capacity trailer but at some point I'm going to sacrifice capacity from the weight of the trailer in terms of being able to tow it. I can't imagine towing more than 14k lbs. comfortably with the 2500 6.4l hemi.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
So the 10k axles are out as I wouldn't ever be able to haul that much and they are dual tandem, I don't want the hassle of having duals. The 8k axles added about $2500 to the cost, realistically I would be over the trucks capabilities (according to RAM) with the 8k axles as it would be with the trailer and load transfer of the GN. As for the brakes the 7k axles have 12x2 on both axles so brakes on both axles. The weight of the trailer is 4400 so realistically it would hold 9600lbs. that is quite a bit more than my tractor weighs and allows me to put an attachment or 2 on the trailer with the tractor. I should be able to get around 10k or just a touch over with the hitch transfer and still be able to haul around some gear.

I'm not against a bigger capacity trailer but at some point I'm going to sacrifice capacity from the weight of the trailer in terms of being able to tow it. I can't imagine towing more than 14k lbs. comfortably with the 2500 6.4l hemi.
I only said 8-10k as they are the same brakes typically not that you should get 10k axles. If the trailer is 4400, and you count the pin weight you should be fine with a tandem 7k..

chas0218

Reaction score
I only said 8-10k as they are the same brakes typically not that you should get 10k axles. If the trailer is 4400, and you count the pin weight you should be fine with a tandem 7k..
That's what I'm figuring, i did opt for the spare tire and mount along with the 10" i-beam instead of channel. It brought the ride height down 1" and added flat plates where the deck is over the wheels and added winch mount that is between the uprights about 14" off the deck. It comes with front locking and sealing toolboxes.

Price is $8100 before taxes. Seem fair?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
That's what I'm figuring, i did opt for the spare tire and mount along with the 10" i-beam instead of channel. It brought the ride height down 1" and added flat plates where the deck is over the wheels and added winch mount that is between the uprights about 14" off the deck. It comes with front locking and sealing toolboxes.

Price is $8100 before taxes. Seem fair?
Well i cant say as im here in canada and that would be an absolute steal im sure its a reasonable price there.

chas0218

Reaction score
Probably should also factor in the weight of your rigging also. 4-8 chains and boomers are not light.
Yeah very true about chains and binders. I still think I should be fine. I'll have to hit the scales when I get a load of logs to see the combined weight to know how much I can load the trailer. I'll take it easy until I get a good idea on how many and how big the logs can be. I'm likely only going to put 8 or so 16" logs on there at a time anyway. The trailer is made by a small outfit out of Ohio called Advanced trailer, they only make about 4 different types of trailers basically only thing that changes is the hitch style. Total price put it at $8,100 with all options. On the work the computer I can't post their facebook page, I'll get a better link off my phone.

Here is the standard specs:
Heavy Duty Gooseneck:
14,000 lb. GVWR, 20’Flat Deck, 4’ DoveTail, Two-7,000 lb. EZ-Lube Dexter Axles W/Brakes, 10-ply
Radial Tires, 8” Channel Frame, 16” O.C. Crossmember, Treated Deck, Spring assist Stand up
Ramps, Stake pockets, Rub rails, Break away Kit, Safety Chains, Tool box with lid, LED Lighting.

Added:
Winch Mount
Spare Tire
Spare Tire Mount
10" I-Beam main frame

Last edited:

Truckman

Reaction score
Are discs available as an option? If so that is where I would spend some money, they will be much better than the drums on the 7000 lb axle.

chas0218

Reaction score
Not through the builder they only offer drum. Would disc end up being electric over hydraulic or straight hydraulic? In my area I've only ever seen disc on boat trailers.

Users who are viewing this thread