Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Google is updating Android Auto to fit all screen sizes!

rjmlakota

Reaction score
I bought a 2023 RAM 2500 PW at the end of 2023 and I cound't believe it that I oculdn't go full screen when I connected my andriod. @RamCares please please please bring out an update for this.... There's a lot of us RAM drivers out there that have android's that have been asking for this for a long time.

g00fy

Reaction score
It all comes down to Uconnect being a garbage software company. Unless Ram really puts the pressure on them to fix something, they won't. Their business model seems to be get the current firmware/software working just good enough to have an acceptable number of problems, then completely abandon support for it and start working on the next firmware/software for the next generation of hardware.

daemonic3

Reaction score
It is pretty shocking that truck sales are so highly combative and Ram is just letting this easy update linger. It makes me wonder if there is some issue with how they have integrated android auto that would take too long to build out full screen mode. This is the single thing that has prevented me from buying a 12" UC5 for my truck, not that Ram cares about that, but it is disappointing as a owner of 2 Cummins trucks.

That said, it's kind of a weird threat to say that if your new truck doesn't get a software update you'll just wish you bought a Ford, haha.

Not a threat! I already *have* my custom ordered King Ranch F150 with more bells and whistles that the HD Ram can bring. I love my F150. But with trailer I'm maxed on payload and we're limited to short weekend warrior trips where we can avoid things such as wind by looking at 10 day forecasts. If we ever want to go on a non-refundable long trip I need a beefier truck. I'm just saying that once I get the Ram that every time I see the nerfed android auto experience I will be "reminded of her" because I love my current (maxed out) truck so much. There are so many new things to be excited for (Rambox, air suspension, digital rear view, diesel, PAYLOAD, floor bins) but that screen is right there in my face unlike the other things I'm giving up (hands free driving, 7.2kW generator, hybrid, average MPG, massage seats, power tailgate, work surface).

So no threat, I will also love the HD Ram (as there is no Ford option), but frustrating that the android auto experience is a massive step backward. Hope that makes sense!

evanxrs

Reaction score
How has this not been fixed yet. Got a 2023 Ran 1500 Sport G/T. This 1/2 screen is super annoying. Was reminder on the weekend when the wifes phone connected after filling gas and it was full screen with a iPhone.

g00fy

Reaction score
How has this not been fixed yet. Got a 2023 Ran 1500 Sport G/T. This 1/2 screen is super annoying. Was reminder on the weekend when the wifes phone connected after filling gas and it was full screen with a iPhone.
The Uconnect Software is trash

daemonic3

Reaction score
Man, I just got really excited seeing a notification in my email for this thread, only to realize its just another message pointing out how much of a miss this is for Uconnect. Everything else about the truck I'm going to love except this glaring step back from my current Fords with full screen AA.
Does anyone use the built in nav? If it makes me angry enough I might use the stock nav but if it doesn't live update with Waze/Google real-time traffic it is not useful. I've only tested Ford, Infiniti, and Hyundai built-in navs and they do not update like google maps with accurate ETAs and alt routes.

g00fy

Reaction score
Man, I just got really excited seeing a notification in my email for this thread, only to realize its just another message pointing out how much of a miss this is for Uconnect. Everything else about the truck I'm going to love except this glaring step back from my current Fords with full screen AA.
Does anyone use the built in nav? If it makes me angry enough I might use the stock nav but if it doesn't live update with Waze/Google real-time traffic it is not useful. I've only tested Ford, Infiniti, and Hyundai built-in navs and they do not update like google maps with accurate ETAs and alt routes.
It is mildly infuriating that android auto looks bigger & better in my moms Kia Seltos than it does on my UC5 12" screen.

Firebird

Reaction score
When I Bluetooth connect to my screen, this is what I get, seems full size, or am I missing something?
1000014264.jpg

pr3dict

Reaction score
Lol thats not Android auto or carplay
He's using the full screen media section of Uconnect. Connecting with Bluetooth.

He's doing what RAM wants him to do, which is use their UI instead of the more superior phone versions.

The reality is that the Uconnect user interface wastes a ton of space. Who needs 12 inches of screen real estate to tell the driver what song is playing?

Firebird

Reaction score
Man, I'm seriously technology challenged, I can't seem to figure out how to activate Android Auto, have never tried it.
Where are my grandchildren when I need them?

Last edited:

g00fy

Reaction score
I just went to Uconnects website to see if there's any announcements of anything useful, and I noticed their website still has FCA everywhere... Didn't FCA become Stellantis over 3 years ago now? It's just something I noticed that kinda shows how far behind Uconnect is on, well, everything...

Users who are viewing this thread