Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gen Y and Reese goose box question

npalladino490

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 2018 2500 mega cab short bed with a B&W goose box hitch with a 4inch offset adapter . My 2021 carbon 338 came with a gen Y hitch.

My question is, do the Reese Goosebox hitches stick further out towards the front of the trailer? I wish I had a little more clearance between the cab and the trailer when turning. I’m not able to find any specific specs on the “lengths” of each, however just from the naked eye, it looks like the Reese does in fact have a longer neck which would then push the trailer further back and give me more clearance from the cab of my truck.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks , y’all

Attachments

• 0ADFECD1-C6FA-4E98-A9E3-7BC84615B9F4.jpeg
    0ADFECD1-C6FA-4E98-A9E3-7BC84615B9F4.jpeg
    824.6 KB · Views: 59

Icky

Reaction score
Can you pull up the drawing dimensions of both of them to compare?

npalladino490

Reaction score
I would if I knew how to get the dimensions. My buddy has a Reese set up, I just haven’t had the opportunity to go an measure it. I figured maybe someone would know on this forum.

MooneyFWD

Reaction score
My goosebox roughly measures 16 inches from the edge of the 5er mounting plate to the center of the ball mount.

IMG_4241.jpg

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
They are about the same dimensions of you want more clearence you can get the Gen-y offset ball setup that moves the ball back 5”

npalladino490

Reaction score
They are about the same dimensions of you want more clearence you can get the Gen-y offset ball setup that moves the ball back 5”
I have the B&W that is a 4” offset. The Reese does look longer. I’ll measure the gen Y and then just go measure my buddies to double check. Thanks for everyone’s input.

Icky

Reaction score
I have the B&W that is a 4” offset. The Reese does look longer. I’ll measure the gen Y and then just go measure my buddies to double check. Thanks for everyone’s input.
The dimensions can be found on their websites depending what model you need.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The nose of my trailer sticks out so damn far.
They are building lots of trailers with caps like that now but the pin boxes are all a pretty standard length +/- 2” or so

Last edited:

CFE

Reaction score
I'll take a picture of my goosebox this evening.

MooneyFWD

Reaction score
I use the 4" offset as well. It's a must for me with the short bed. I think the Reese may look longer due to its shape. It has the boxed frame part that sticks out past where the actual ball coupler is.

pr3dict

Reaction score
I have the Gen-Y on a "rounded" cap 5th wheel. When I receive my short bed I'll let you know what it looks like when connected. I'm hopeful that it'll be fine. Maybe not a full 90 but pretty damn close hopefully.

I could be wrong but an offset ball changes the center of gravity which I would imagine is not good for payload limits?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I have the Gen-Y on a "rounded" cap 5th wheel. When I receive my short bed I'll let you know what it looks like when connected. I'm hopeful that it'll be fine. Maybe not a full 90 but pretty damn close hopefully.

I could be wrong but an offset ball changes the center of gravity which I would imagine is not good for payload limits?
Bringing the ball back 4” may cause more lift on the front of the truck but it does not change the payload limit just the way the truck rides.

MooneyFWD

Reaction score
FYI, I can go past 90 with me 5er in the photo, but it will hit if I go too far. I've never towed without the offset ball, so I haven't compared any differences in ride.

Icky

Reaction score
What trailer is that?
FYI, I can go past 90 with me 5er in the photo, but it will hit if I go too far. I've never towed without the offset ball, so I haven't compared any differences in ride.

Silverbeard

Reaction score

I used a B&W Companion hitch for a number of years. I turned the arms around which moved the hitch back about 3.
If I remember correctly, that took somewhere around 100lbs. off the front axle. With the front axle weighting about 5K, that’s only moving about 2% of the weight off the front axle. Not a big deal. I figured that using the 4” extender with the GooseBox produced the same results. I’ve never weighed the setup using the standard B&W ball.

MooneyFWD

Reaction score
I've been wanting to go this direction with my genesis 40cr, but I'm afraid it won't work and it'll be an expensive experiment.
I'm very happy with my setup (Reese Goosebox, B&W turnover system, but using the 4" offset ball). I don't see why it wouldn't work for you.

Users who are viewing this thread