Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gear Limit controls

Jeeptree2112

Reaction score
Can someone chime in on if I can simply use these as paddle shifters to downshift/ upshift to save brakes for daily driving. I understand the function when under tow for terrain but daily driving applications. Thanks

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Not really paddle shifter in the truest sense,

It's a gear "lockout."

Downshift within the parameters the PCM will allow, no forced upshifts.

If you have a diesel, the EB and T/H mode helps.

Poor man

Reaction score
The gear limit switch is for locking out any gear higher then u select. Say for example you set it at gear 5 the truck will still up shift and down shift as normal other than it wont go above gear 5. My road has a steep half mile grade I just set it at gear 3 and let it bog all the way down never hitting the brakes. Then at the bottom I just knock it back up to normal. Another feature to gear limit is it automatically switches off mds. So when I'm in down town slow traffic and the mds is kicking on and off non stop I just use the gear limit switch to stop the cycling

Jeeptree2112

Reaction score
The gear limit switch is for locking out any gear higher then u select. Say for example you set it at gear 5 the truck will still up shift and down shift as normal other than it wont go above gear 5. My road has a steep half mile grade I just set it at gear 3 and let it bog all the way down never hitting the brakes. Then at the bottom I just knock it back up to normal. Another feature to gear limit is it automatically switches off mds. So when I'm in down town slow traffic and the mds is kicking on and off non stop I just use the gear limit switch to stop the cycling
Your explanation going down hills is exactly what I was asking about. Thanks for the reply!

Users who are viewing this thread