Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gas gauge

Diputs

Reaction score
I filled up today (hemi 31 gal tank) and my needle was on E and the range estimate was 15 miles. I was only able to put 26 gallons in the tank. Based on my average mpg, I should have had a little over a gallon left with that range remaining and needle that low. But with a 31 gallon tank and 5 gallons actually still in the tank you would think the gauge would be higher and show about 1/6 full and ~60 mile range. Is my gauge off or is this normal?

dantex

Reaction score
I had similar happen recently, but instead of 15 miles remaining, it switched to "Low" on the DTE.
I've run the tank pretty low, but that one time the DTE switched to "Low" was the closest to empty I have run it, and I could only get 27.453 gallons in. I am generally in the 22-25 gallon range filling up.
I think while the tank is 31 gallons, there are breather hoses, sensors, and room for temperature based expansion, etc. built in, which reduce the usable capacity of the 31 gallons.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Thats just how they are these days its like they give them a bit of a reserve

jsalbre

Reaction score
Per my AlfaOBD dump, the low fuel warning is set to 8%, empty is set to 2%.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Is that a changeable option do you know or is that just a BCM reading?
It appears to be a changeable setting.
Cluster-Fuel Tank 1 Calibration, Empty: 2%
Cluster-Fuel Tank 1 Calibration, LFW: 8%

BubbaWilkins

Reaction score
I filled up today (hemi 31 gal tank) and my needle was on E and the range estimate was 15 miles. I was only able to put 26 gallons in the tank. Based on my average mpg, I should have had a little over a gallon left with that range remaining and needle that low. But with a 31 gallon tank and 5 gallons actually still in the tank you would think the gauge would be higher and show about 1/6 full and ~60 mile range. Is my gauge off or is this normal?
It's normal for the gauge to read empty prematurely.
It's to prevent you from allowing it to run out of gas.
It's also intended to keep the fuel pump submerged and cooled. Habitually running the tank to empty or near empty will result in premature fuel pump failure.

Users who are viewing this thread