Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Full Time 5th Wheel Recommendations

tchur1

Reaction score
Hey all,

We are considering renting out our house, buying a 5th wheel and working remotely/traveling for the next year or so. Ive started the the shopping process but curious if anyone here has recommendations on great 5th wheels to live in and work from full time.

Its just my fiance and I and our 12 pound dog so additional beds are not needed. Space is definitely a priority so open floor plans, larger bathroom/shower is appealing.

I have starting looking and the RIverstone 39RKFB has quickly risen to the top of our list.

What other RVs does anyone full time in or spend significant time in that they love/hate? Any insights appreciated.

tchur1

Reaction score
Have you looked at Grand Design Solitude?

My close friend has an RV storage and repair shop and says FR is the absolute worst to work with on warranty stuff.
I have not but I can add that to the list for sure. I’ve heard some horror stories about FR but wasn’t sure if that was a vocal minority or not.

What are general thoughts on the Keystone Montanas?

Sponge60

Reaction score
I've had two Keystone RV's. A toy hauler and a traditional fifth wheel. Really liked both as far as finished product. Never had a warranty claim, so can't speak to that. I certainly recommend a residential style fridge. Traditional front bedrooms seem to have better storage than the rear bedroom styles.

davidh1329

Reaction score
I don't have advice for a specific brand but would suggest to look at used RVs. Campers stink with initial build quality and depreciation - let someone else suffer through the first year warranty repairs. We are on our fourth camper, a 2017 Keystone Avalanche 320RS. We purchased it used about 3 years ago. Everything works and it already had several upgrades installed when we got it. Also, don't be afraid to travel to make a purchase. Some of the best deals are a day's drive away. Good luck and have fun!

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Grand Design and Arctic Fox would be the two main trailers I looked at for full timing.

tchur1

Reaction score
I've had two Keystone RV's. A toy hauler and a traditional fifth wheel. Really liked both as far as finished product. Never had a warranty claim, so can't speak to that. I certainly recommend a residential style fridge. Traditional front bedrooms seem to have better storage than the rear bedroom styles.
Good to hear you have had solid reliability with your Keystones, everything I have read about them to date has been good.
I don't have advice for a specific brand but would suggest to look at used RVs. Campers stink with initial build quality and depreciation - let someone else suffer through the first year warranty repairs. We are on our fourth camper, a 2017 Keystone Avalanche 320RS. We purchased it used about 3 years ago. Everything works and it already had several upgrades installed when we got it. Also, don't be afraid to travel to make a purchase. Some of the best deals are a day's drive away. Good luck and have fun!
Ya good call - Ive been looking at lightly used as well as new and will continue to do so. More than the depreciation, I like the idea of someone else dealing with all of the warranty issues that pop up right at delivery.
I’d go with a Luxe. But I’m not rich.

Considering we are going to live in it for a while I dont mind upping the budget but not sure I want to spend north of $200k... they are very nice units though.
Grand Design and Arctic Fox would be the two main trailers I looked at for full timing.
I had an Arctic Fox truck camper a while ago and it was great, ill check out their 5th wheels as well. Thanks.

mkmsr

Reaction score
We currently have a Grand Design (no issues) and are looking at a larger fithwheel The three I would consider would be Grand Design, KZ and Alliance. All have nicer quality and good reputations for customer service. I would also recommend buying used just to avoid warranty work, dealerships and the extra cost.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Good to hear you have had solid reliability with your Keystones, everything I have read about them to date has been good.

Ya good call - Ive been looking at lightly used as well as new and will continue to do so. More than the depreciation, I like the idea of someone else dealing with all of the warranty issues that pop up right at delivery.

Considering we are going to live in it for a while I dont mind upping the budget but not sure I want to spend north of $200k... they are very nice units though.

I had an Arctic Fox truck camper a while ago and it was great, ill check out their 5th wheels as well. Thanks.

Artic Fox builds their own spec frames. GD and the FR and Keystone, etc. are all built on LCI/Lippert (said to have improved but ???) I will say that those (incl. GD) with tow-rated factory hitches, I'd tend to trust the structural integrity of those more.

Except for a few outliers, there's a ton of brands that all fall under just a few companies.

GD is owned by Winnebago and GD CS tends to rate a cut above most others. All RV dealers suck.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Avoid FR products my 2018 40ft retreat parkmodel has all kinds of small issues that drives me nuts. I have had less issues with my 97 Jayco designer 5thwheel than the FR trailer. I will be getting a Jayco when i replace my 97 as the quality (even if though its a lipert frame) as been spectacular and my dealer is great…. I know a few people with the Grand design and they are well built trailers also!

Users who are viewing this thread