Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Full Synthetic 10w30 options?

mustangguy289

Reaction score
I am having trouble finding a full syn 10w30 that meets the MS-10902, API CK-4, and CES-20081. The rotella option is only a syn blend. The Amsoil option does not meet the MS-10902. For those that are running the 10w30 in warmer climates, what brand are you finding that meets the qualifications?

"2019 model year, and newer vehicles, it is recommended to use 10W-30 engine oil such as Mopar, Shell Rotella and Shell Rimula that meets FCA Material Standard MS-10902, and the API CK-4 engine oil category is required. Products meeting Cummins CES 20081 may also be used. "

D

Deleted member 80

I don't know if Schaeffer's meets the CES spec. I gave up looking, and am running 5W40 year-round. I have run T6 Rotella, Delo, and Delvac. Always looking for sales and rebates. All three have worked fine, but I'd say it was quietest on Delo, with Delvac a close second. My 5.9 was perfectly happy on conventional oil, and in reality I'm sure the 6.7 would do just fine on conventional or semi synth 10W30, like T5 or Premium Blue.

Hah0910

Reaction score
Was running premium blue 5W40 until last oil change @ 25k and then went with 10W30 Amsoil. It meets Cummins spec

D

Deleted member 80

NAPA has the Delvac ESP 5W40 Synth for $19.99/Gal , and Mobil has a rebate offer for $11.00/Gal rebate on up to 4 gallons.

Speedway Motors has the Delvac Extreme for $19.99/Gal, and Mobil has $9.00/Gal rebate. This is labeled as "Synthetic". It doesn't say "Full" or "Semi", but it does meet the Cummins CES Specs.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
CK-4 > CJ-4

Will CK-4 replace current CJ-4 motor oils?

Yes, CK-4 engine oils will replace CJ-4 engine oils. There are two specifications; CK-4 and FA-4. CK-4 will be a direct replacement for the oils you’re using now. You’ll be able to buy the same viscosity grades and oil types (conventional, full synthetic, synthetic blend) you’re using now, and they’ll be completely “backwards compatible” to ALL current vehicles. The new FA-4 oils will be offered in lower viscosity grades and are designed primarily for the next generation of diesel engines, to help maximize fuel economy without sacrificing engine protection. FA-4 oils will have limited backwards compatibility.

2019 would have been a good year for Ram to start recommending it instead of CJ-4. CES 20081 has also been superseded by CES 20086 from what I can gather on the Net. 20086 specifies CK-4 oil. Ram was either asleep at the manual printing (again, mind you, there are other snafus in it) or they are purposely recommending old spec CJ-4 for some reason. Seeing on how they've already had 15W-40 issues with the hydro lifters and had to issue TSBs and what not, you'd think they would get on this CK-4 stuff.

Last edited:

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
To answer the OP question though,

Hot Shot's Secret has a Green Diamond Fleet oil that is a full syn 10W-30 that meets CJ-4/CK-4, CES 20081/CES20086.

Not MS-10902 though, because nobody lists that one because it's dumb. Stop it, FCA, you're not that special. GM and Ford get recognized standards (DEXOS, DEXRON, MERCON, Ford WSS...etc). You don't. You know why. :D

JJC72

Reaction score
There is a Cummins service letter out that specifically states to use 10W30 above 0 degrees, and 5w40 below 0 degrees. They also call out Rotella as an approved oil. The synthetic blend will be fine as long as you maintain proper oil change intervals.

JJC72

Reaction score
There is a Cummins service letter out that specifically states to use 10W30 above 0 degrees, and 5w40 below 0 degrees. They also call out Rotella as an approved oil. The synthetic blend will be fine as long as you maintain proper oil change intervals.

Attachments

• ENGINE OIL TYPE.pdf
    28.5 KB · Views: 133

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score

Although this grade of oil is required in colder climate areas, it is also safe to use during the summer months, and in warmer climates as well.

Users who are viewing this thread