Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuel prices

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
gear ratios matter a lot. I drove 46 miles last night, empty, keeping it around 66-68mph with just a few miles of city streets added. 1,900 rpm. Average was 15.2 mpg. 3500 DRW with HO and 4.10 gears. If I am towing I expect between 10.5-12 mpg.

Yeah, a couple of MPG either way makes a huge difference. I filled up both my tanks yesterday, 80’ish gallons out of 100 total, and it cost me over $400 here in CA.

Crazy.

I filled up a rental car Thursday in Irvine and it was $4.70/gal for regular. Granted that was 1 mile from the airport but pretty much what I saw everywhere.

I just filled my truck here in CO at Murphy and it was $3.27/gal before my 10c/gal discount on 20 gals.

In July 2020, I paid $1.069/gal after discount. I think full price a the pump was $1.89

jeffn

Reaction score
Crazy.

I filled up a rental car Thursday in Irvine and it was $4.70/gal for regular. Granted that was 1 mile from the airport but pretty much what I saw everywhere.

I just filled my truck here in CO at Murphy and it was $3.27/gal before my 10c/gal discount on 20 gals.

In July 2020, I paid $1.069/gal after discount. I think full price a the pump was $1.89
I have to go back to Florida in a few weeks and I’m seriously thinking about putting a 500 gallon fuel cube in back and filling up in AZ before I cross back into CA. Diesel is consistently $1+ a gallon cheaper across the border. I don’t know what people are doing right now, the increases in fuel and food costs (beef!) are taking a serious bite out of paychecks

RTillery

Reaction score
Brutal, I live in the Pinery and go by that Murphy station all the time. I took a mental snap-shot the day Biden was inaugurated.
Regular: $1.79
Diesel: $1.99
I whimper every time I go by it now. :mad:

gpattikjr

Reaction score
Brutal, I live in the Pinery and go by that Murphy station all the time. I took a mental snap-shot the day Biden was inaugurated.
Regular is 3.39
Diesel is 3.99
93 is over $4
South Jersey, as of yesterday.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
[Mod: One free warning]

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeXM

Reaction score
As much as you would like that increase associated with one president, it actually a very global phenomenon. It is record prices in about every single country right now.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
As much as you would like that increase associated with one president, it actually a very global phenomenon. It is record prices in about every single country right now.

You don't think shutting down the XL pipeline build and killing O&G leases contributed, even if only in the optics of it all?

FWIW, CO also enacted some very anti O&G legislation that is negatively affecting local prices - though ours certainly aren't as bad as the coasts.

I'm no economist or energy expert but it just seems that we're asking OPEC to pump more oil to lower prices, there must be some correlation to the current policies.

MikeXM

Reaction score
You don't think shutting down the XL pipeline build and killing O&G leases contributed, even if only in the optics of it all?

FWIW, CO also enacted some very anti O&G legislation that is negatively affecting local prices - though ours certainly aren't as bad as the coasts.

I'm no economist or energy expert but it just seems that we're asking OPEC to pump more oil to lower prices, there must be some correlation to the current policies.
That supposes the pipeline would have been operational by now. Which would have not happened in any cases. Only 8% of the pipeline was done when it was shut down. It would have had an impact a decade from now. So, no, it wouldn't have changed anything about current pricing. It is a worldwide phenomenon and whatever is happening in the USA would have had little impact in the current situation.

Trooper

Reaction score
Crazy.

I am 10 miles from SNA airport, I am able to find diesel at $4.29 at Shell but recently I have been sticking to my Tesla when possible as I can get free charging at office. Cost of fuel in CA is ridiculous. Will never get rid of my truck, loving driving it but saving $400 a month is a big deal

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Aye.

I'd cry for the "high" prices some of you americans complain about.
Yea it gets me everytime…. I remember a few years ago 2014 ish when i lived on the boarder gas was about 6$/ gal here in Canada and right across the border in MN it was 2.87$/gal it cost me 200$ to fill my truck in Canada and about 90$ after exchange rate (was close to par at the time) to fill in the US

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I am 10 miles from SNA airport, I am able to find diesel at $4.29 at Shell but recently I have been sticking to my Tesla when possible as I can get free charging at office. Cost of fuel in CA is ridiculous. Will never get rid of my truck, loving driving it but saving $400 a month is a big deal

I seem to be working a lot of gigs in that area of SoCal lately with SNA being the best option for flights. Upcoming will be my 3rd trip in there since mid October.

It's convenient but I hate flying in there when I still only half way up the status list and the lack of Hilton properties in the outlying burbs limits my choices. The worst flights are the ones full of Disney tourists...

To be expected with coworkers getting RIF'd or moving and only 2 of us in my specialty left to cover the west region and Hawaii. We cover Guam and the Philippines too after a coworker retired this summer but travel's still restricted.

That free charging is huge for anyone that has to commute.

Surf2snow1

Reaction score

Rumor has it they’re looking at shutting down another pipeline. Line 5 in Michigan is on their radar.

RTillery

Reaction score
On November 3, 2020, Oklahoma Sweet was $34 a barrel. Today, 12 months later it's $80 a barrel. Cause?Good or bad? You decide.

MtnRider

Reaction score
Prices are all over the place here in Georgia. In my local area the cheapest I have seen it in the past week was $3.25 but I would say the average is ~$3.40+ right now. The Loves truck stop I pass every day is hovering around $3.94.

What gets me is how much it is fluctuating daily. I passed that $3.25 station the other morning and told myself I would stop on the way home and fill up. 8 hours later it was up .10 a gallon. I'm literally seeing the stations change every day, and usually for the worse. It has crept down slightly in the past week but it's been a uphill roller coaster most of the time.

I have a decent commute to work, plus running kids to football practice's and every other thing they are involved with so I put a lot of miles on my truck every week and fuel prices going up is definitely painful to the wallet.

Phil T

Reaction score
I just filled my 3500. I got a "steal" at 4.059 for dino. I had to pay cash to get that price. $200.00 gone in a flash.

Users who are viewing this thread