Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FUEL/OIL FILTER WRENCH

Lettikka

Reaction score
May seem like an odd topic but I am looking to outfit my shop with some filter wrenches that won't come apart when the work is tough and the plier type tend to tear the filters apart. I have been using the flexible handle type and they work well enough until the rivets come apart and I am heading to the store again to buy another one. I just did some internet searching nd didn't see any of the strap type that looked like quality. Hoping one of you guys have been through this and found something worth while?

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
Geno's Garage, I have all 4 of these and the oil filter cap-off tool is a must and you won't make a mess all over your frame. You could always add the Billet fuel filter cap as well.

Last edited:

Lettikka

Reaction score
Thanks man, I may get some of these for some of my applications. One of my fuel filters has an electrical lead off of the bottom of it so I will need a strap wrench as well. Any good brands for the strap type?

CdnHO

Reaction score
Bought this on Amazon. Seems well made.

Lisle 57030 Standard Oil Filter Swivel Wrench​

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
how are you going through filter wrenches i have had the same ones for decades… are you lubing the Orings and putting the filter on hand tight not with tools? The 3 prong lisle one that uses a 3/8 ratchet works well or a large pair of channel locks

Lettikka

Reaction score
Crazy right!! I also have some pretty old ones in the smaller to medium sizes. All strap style. In the past 3-4 years I have had the larger ones bend the handles, pull the rivets through, or otherwise fail under a load. NOT a significant load either. Yeah the filter was on there but it was nothing crazy. I just keep going back to the parts store and getting whatever they had on the shelf. This weekend I changed a filter and didn't have a strap wrench so I used the plier grip type. The filter was in a tight location so the pliers were awful. Got the job done but I figured I would find out where to get a decent make and keep it for a while when I get the next one.

Bombaman

Reaction score
$3.50 one from walmart works fine. Even if it did break after the service, its like 17x before it would be the same price of the Billet one above.
Then for the fill, the Lisle 57180 works great

Users who are viewing this thread