Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuel Filter change at 13,000 miles - DIRTY

Cumminsleadfoot

Reaction score
Got my fuel filters changed at 13,000 miles. Tech said rear filter was completely black, front filter ok. He said find another place to buy diesel, when I asked where, he said "around here, who knows". Anyone know which brands may be better than others? Any additives that may help? Thanks.

D

Deleted member 80

I'd have to see the filter to judge, but I have seen multiple photos and videos of people claiming their filters were "filthy" when it is just the normally occurring asphaltenes that are contained in diesel fuel. The rear filter will always be dirtier. I have been changing diesel filters since the mid-70s and it's always been that way.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd have to see the filter to judge, but I have seen multiple photos and videos of people claiming their filters were "filthy" when it is just the normally occurring asphaltenes that are contained in diesel fuel. The rear filter will always be dirtier. I have been changing diesel filters since the mid-70s and it's always been that way.
Agree. They're always "black." If there was visible contaminants, then it (the comment) could hold some water (no pun intended.)

AttilaTheHun

Reaction score
I've changed my fuel filters on the 13k mark as well, two sets so far, still have about 50% on the third, and my used filters were barely grey. Though I do use hotshots everyday diesel treatment every 2-3 tanks, and I mostly fill up at high traffic truck stops as I put a lot of highway miles on my truck delivering RVs on the side. So far no issues. The additive may help. I think i has more to do with the frequency the diesel is being refilled at the fuel stops. if it's a small gas station, they may sit on ift for a while before needing a new batch. high traffic truck stops (the major chains) usually go through their supply in a few days if not daily.

SBookless

Reaction score
I'm on my 4th set of filters front & rear. I have not seen anything "black" The front & rear have both been about the same grayish color. I usually frequently fill-up at high traffic stations and religiously use the Hot Shots additives as well.

Users who are viewing this thread