Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frozen DEF and derate question

2500ltd

Reaction score
So for the second time this winter, I got the derate warning. First time, I took it to the dealer. They let it thaw indoors overnight and it was fine. Recommended I don’t fill up the DEF tank. Haven’t added any more DEF but got the warning again. We had a few colder days but the day I got the warning, it was above freezing. I tried driving for a while at highway speeds to help the tank thaw but I still got the derate message. A few questions:

1) Could it be any other issue than a frozen tank? Surprised the warning showed up on a warmer day.
2) If I left the truck in a heated garage for a while and the tank thawed, would the derate warning go away or would that still require a dealer visit?
3) Even though I got the warning, my Innova 3030RS scanner is not giving me any codes. How can that be?
4) Any other way to clear the countdown? Battery disconnect?

Thanks.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
You cant clear the count down but letting it thaw may help. Most likely the tank needs to be dropped and they need to clean crystallization of the pump/ level sensors if it has been frozen for a while and just started to that out (it may not be covered under warranty mine was not)

2500ltd

Reaction score
You cant clear the count down but letting it thaw may help. Most likely the tank needs to be dropped and they need to clean crystallization of the pump/ level sensors if it has been frozen for a while and just started to that out (it may not be covered under warranty mine was not)
Thanks. Given it worked fine for a while after thawing out the first time around. I’m hoping the same will happen and there won’t be a need to take everything out to clean it.

It’s pretty warm (a few degrees above freezing) and sunny today and my black truck will sit in the sun. Could that be enough to thaw the tank if that is indeed the issue?

Also, there is really no scanner model that works to clear the code?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Thanks. Given it worked fine for a while after thawing out the first time around. I’m hoping the same will happen and there won’t be a need to take everything out to clean it.

It’s pretty warm (a few degrees above freezing) and sunny today and my black truck will sit in the sun. Could that be enough to thaw the tank if that is indeed the issue?

Also, there is really no scanner model that works to clear the code?
You need a security bypass to clear it but it will come right back on, your def is not frozen now if its above freezing as def freezes at 12°F so its most likely gonna be thawed already. if you drove it around frozen and it used up the thawed def then im almost guaranteeing its gonna need cleaning… for what its worth i had mine give the derate message after mine thawed on a warmer day the second time when the tank had to be dropped, my dealer was doing 6 of these trucks a day all the same issue

2500ltd

Reaction score
Ok. Thanks. This sure feels like a system that would benefit from a bit more engineering work…

My DEF gauge is no longer giving me an accurate reading. It’s stuck on full. Would that indicate a frozen tank or one that needs cleaning. When it was frozen the first time around, it was also stuck on full.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Ok. Thanks. This sure feels like a system that would benefit from a bit more engineering work…

My DEF gauge is no longer giving me an accurate reading. It’s stuck on full. Would that indicate a frozen tank or one that needs cleaning. When it was frozen the first time around, it was also stuck on full.
Yep this system is garbage i have to delete mine i cant rely on the def system not throwing a fit when i have to plow

OuterUB

Reaction score
The lack of warrany coverage there brother is ********.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The lack of warrany coverage there brother is ********.
Well after a long hard thought about it i can understand the denial as it as not a part malfunction but on the other hand i know the issue lies with the design of the part soooooo

OuterUB

Reaction score
Well after a long hard thought about it i can understand the denial as it as not a part malfunction but on the other hand i know the issue lies with the design of the part soooooo
Absolutely. Design flaws are NOTORIOUS for not being covered. Still SUPER MEGA, DOUBLE SECRET PROBATION BS though ...... :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread