Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front spoiler

Alligator John

Reaction score
They did mention what I was talking about around town would not matter so much and why they did the test at highway speeds. They did encounter some winds on the run without the dam that might have skewed the numbers some, but the loss of gas mileage was large enough to show it for sure helps. I will offset my loss by adding the tonneau cover. LOL. The video after this one was testing a tonneau cover and it did increase gas mileage by 1.7 miles per gallon.

Last edited:

44Dan44

Reaction score
Yea, Ram spends money to install air dams, including an active air dam on the 1500 just for the hell of it.

Thanks for the 1500 video, exactly the same :rolleyes: Ram spent money on making the 3 honk on exit feature a feature, it doesn't make them right.

Alligator John

Reaction score
Thanks for the 1500 video, exactly the same :rolleyes: Ram spent money on making the 3 honk on exit feature a feature, it doesn't make them right.
Yea, I don't really get the purpose of the power retractable air dam. For a daily driver street truck it really does not hurt anything to have the full spoiler while driving under 35mph and probably looks better to most with the full spoiler. If you are driving it off road with the retractable spoiler, that is a real expensive gimmick to have to worry about breaking and replacing. I would rather just have the full fixed spoiler that I could choose to leave in place or easily remove. Or cheaply replace if I damage it.

BadKarma

Reaction score
If it improves real world fuel mileage then, it must be so little it shouldn’t be talked about. Had mine on the truck the first 15k miles and was at 10.9 mpg. Just over 23k and still 10.9. Not lifted and factory wheels and tires.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Sweet baby jesus. A software feature some dumbass exec or designer had programmed in by cheap offshore labor isn't equal to an expensive piece of hardware.

Your non sequitur red herring response is pointless.

Docwagon1776

Reaction score
Ahhh the ol' fuel mileage myth persists.o_O
View attachment 57169View attachment 57170

Where do you suppose that air goes next? Under the truck and creating lots of "dirty" air as it swirls around the various nooks and hangy down bits?

Are you aware of the "bubble" of air pressure that creates a slip stream that effectively rounds that surface? Like why those net tailgates get worse gas milage than a regular ol' tailgate that lets the "bubble" form in the bed and wind slips over it?

Alligator John

Reaction score
This thread has me wondering if there could be a small mpg drag from the non functional sport performance hood scoop on the 2023s. Seems like it would have to create some turbulence over the hood at highway speeds. :rolleyes:

44Dan44

Reaction score
Sweet baby jesus. A software feature some dumbass exec or designer had programmed in by cheap offshore labor isn't equal to an expensive piece of hardware.

Your non sequitur red herring response is pointless.
Almost as pointless as your conflation of active air dams on the 1500 series versus the lower valance on heavy duties that’s being discussed. Please try to stay on topic :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
If you search the internet you will find pretty much the same thread on every truck forum in existence. You’ll find tons of confirmation bias along the way.

Motor trend did a study on the Colorado with / without air dam and got .72% better mpg with the air dam (I removed the air dam on my 2.8L duramax colorado)

Drive with it for a bit and then try without it for a bit. Draw your own conclusions. That’s really the only way to confirm.

Docwagon1776

Reaction score
This thread has me wondering if there could be a small mpg drag from the non functional sport performance hood scoop on the 2023s. Seems like it would have to create some turbulence over the hood at highway speeds. :rolleyes:

It'll just create a small high pressure pocket and the air will flow over the resulting "bubble" at highway speeds. It's got *some* effect, but my guess is it's drops of fuel and nothing measurable. Like how big a lunch you ate prior to the trip sort of differences.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Almost as pointless as your conflation of active air dams on the 1500 series versus the lower valance on heavy duties that’s being discussed. Please try to stay on topic :rolleyes:

Explain to me how 2 similar in function pieces of hardware are somehow dissimilar and then how either one has any relation to a piece of software code. I'll wait.

Actually, I won't. Your explanation will be meaningless.

44Dan44

Reaction score
Explain to me how 2 similar in function pieces of hardware are somehow dissimilar and then how either one has any relation to a piece of software code. I'll wait.

Actually, I won't. Your explanation will be meaningless.
Nice try trying to backtrack on your useless point. I’m sure you’ll keep at it. Enjoy.

woody284

Reaction score
KB Warriors stand down. We are obviously on two different sides and as Rockcrawler said, make your own determinations after your own testing. Let everything else go.

Users who are viewing this thread