Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front Park Sensors Wacky

steve49

Reaction score
When having the toyhauler hooked to the truck with my Weight Distribution Hitch, I have to turn off the rear park sensors. Several times now when backing up the trailer, the front park sensors go wacky dinging and changing from the right, left, or center sensors on the EVIC display. Anyone else experiencing this issue or know of a fix?

jay.duncan81

Reaction score
Mine do the same thing. I got out of a 2018 F150 to buy my 2020 Ram 2500. The ford knows when trailer lights are connected and they automatically turn off the rear sensors. But the front sensors make no sense. I back my boat down the ramp and the front sensors do all kind of random weird beeps. So yes I have to turn my front and rear sensors off too. So there is a "work around" but really annoying. Anybody talk to the dealership about this? Any programming updates on the horizon to fix this possibly?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
When having the toyhauler hooked to the truck with my Weight Distribution Hitch, I have to turn off the rear park sensors. Several times now when backing up the trailer, the front park sensors go wacky dinging and changing from the right, left, or center sensors on the EVIC display. Anyone else experiencing this issue or know of a fix?
Mine do the same thing. I got out of a 2018 F150 to buy my 2020 Ram 2500. The ford knows when trailer lights are connected and they automatically turn off the rear sensors. But the front sensors make no sense. I back my boat down the ramp and the front sensors do all kind of random weird beeps. So yes I have to turn my front and rear sensors off too. So there is a "work around" but really annoying. Anybody talk to the dealership about this? Any programming updates on the horizon to fix this possibly?

I do apologize that you both are experiencing this concern, @steve49 & @jay.duncan81. If at any point you are willing to move forward with your dealers on this, I am more than willing to escalate cases on your behalf for further support during that process. Our team is always a private message away.

Mark
RamCares

Dr__Bob

Reaction score
I don’t understand why the front sensors ever alert when the truck is in reverse. I pull up very close to my garage door. The front sensors beep like crazy, which is fine since the garage door is getting closer. But then, when I leave and put the truck in reverse, the sensors still go nuts, even though the garage door is getting further away.

jsalbre

Reaction score
I have similar problems. Mine seem to do it most often when the rear sensors are disabled (trailer connected or not) but have done it a few times when the rear sensors are enabled.

Unfortunately as a full time RVer with the Ram as my only vehicle I can’t afford to drop it at the dealership for an extended period of time just to get a “cannot reproduce” note on the work order.

jay.duncan81

Reaction score
I have similar problems. Mine seem to do it most often when the rear sensors are disabled (trailer connected or not) but have done it a few times when the rear sensors are enabled.

Unfortunately as a full time RVer with the Ram as my only vehicle I can’t afford to drop it at the dealership for an extended period of time just to get a “cannot reproduce” note on the work order.
Yes, this. ALL of this. Not going to waste my time at the dealership when I can just turn the sensors off. Just super annoying I have to turn the sensors off at all.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Yes, this. ALL of this. Not going to waste my time at the dealership when I can just turn the sensors off. Just super annoying I have to turn the sensors off at all.

Oh, I do plan to take it in, because I want it to work right. I’m just going to have to wait until either someone else gets a solid fix from a dealer so I can bring instructions to them, or I spend some time with family and I can bum a car when needed.

jay.duncan81

Reaction score
@RamCares is there any planned fix for the front sensors beeping when reversing? When I park close to the wall in my garage and I put my truck in reverse, why do the front sensors beep? Maybe I am missing something but I don't see the use case. I have had multiple trucks with front sensors, none have ever beeped in reverse. You don't need front sensors beeping when you are moving away from the object, all it does is make me think I'm backing into something. Second issue, can't the truck recognize when you have a trailer light harness plugged in and automatically turn off the backup sensors? We can deal with the wacky front sensors randomly going off with trailering in reverse later, but these both seem like an easy programming fix.

jsalbre

Reaction score
@RamCares is there any planned fix for the front sensors beeping when reversing? When I park close to the wall in my garage and I put my truck in reverse, why do the front sensors beep? Maybe I am missing something but I don't see the use case. I have had multiple trucks with front sensors, none have ever beeped in reverse. You don't need front sensors beeping when you are moving away from the object, all it does is make me think I'm backing into something. Second issue, can't the truck recognize when you have a trailer light harness plugged in and automatically turn off the backup sensors? We can deal with the wacky front sensors randomly going off with trailering in reverse later, but these both seem like an easy programming fix.

Is your issue with the front sensors that they go off when in reverse even if there’s nothing in front of you, or that they go off in reverse when there is? Most (if not all) of us are having the first issue.

The rear park sensors do disable automatically when a trailer is plugged in.

jay.duncan81

Reaction score
Is your issue with the front sensors that they go off when in reverse even if there’s nothing in front of you, or that they go off in reverse when there is? Most (if not all) of us are having the first issue.

The rear park sensors do disable automatically when a trailer is plugged in.
Both, I don't understand why in reverse when an object is present why sensors beep when you are moving away from it. But also when trailering my front sensors do randomly beep when nothing is present. As far as my rear sensors, is that a setting I need to set bc my rear sensors definitely beep when my 7 pin plug is connected and I reverse with a trailer.

JasonB

Reaction score
If I’m in reverse coming out of a parking spot and have things to my right and left, I want those front sensors going off so I know how tight I can cut the truck. You can replace parking spot for a number of things, but I think the front sensors in reverse have their use.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Both, I don't understand why in reverse when an object is present why sensors beep when you are moving away from it. But also when trailering my front sensors do randomly beep when nothing is present. As far as my rear sensors, is that a setting I need to set bc my rear sensors definitely beep when my 7 pin plug is connected and I reverse with a trailer.

Every vehicle I’ve owned with front parking sensors had them active in reverse.

There’s no setting for the rear disabling with a trailer plugged in. Mine has done that since day one. Out of curiosity, does your trailer have brakes?

If I’m in reverse coming out of a parking spot and have things to my right and left, I want those front sensors going off so I know how tight I can cut the truck. You can replace parking spot for a number of things, but I think the front sensors in reverse have their use.

Agreed. They should definitely function in reverse. It’s the spurious alerts that are the problem.

jay.duncan81

Reaction score
Yes, 22' Wesco boat trailer with 4 wheel disc brakes. Lights kit is a 5 flat and I use an adapter that converts the 5 flat to a 7 pin. I am going to try a new adapter this evening. All my lights work, but nothing shows that I have a trailer connected on the dash nor do my reverse sensors automatically disable.

Quick question related to the OP, my front sensors so far have only done weird random beeps when I am backing a trailer. Is that typical with everyone else, that it's only when you have a trailer connected do the front sensors do wacky beeps, or does it happen without a trailer as well?

steve49

Reaction score
For me the only issue has been when moving my toyhauler around in the back yard, I need to pull out onto the side street, back up and pull back into the yard. While on the side street backing up the trailer is when the front sensors beep and flash the left, center, and right on the dash screen. There are no obstacles anywhere in or near the front of the truck. I had the rear sensors off because of the weight distribution hitch, and trailer was not plugged into the truck. I've had no sensor issues going forward or backing up the truck only. I haven't towed with the new truck yet, I've only moved the trailer around the property, but have a camping trip coming up in a couple weeks so will experiment with the senors.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Yes, 22' Wesco boat trailer with 4 wheel disc brakes. Lights kit is a 5 flat and I use an adapter that converts the 5 flat to a 7 pin. I am going to try a new adapter this evening. All my lights work, but nothing shows that I have a trailer connected on the dash nor do my reverse sensors automatically disable.

Quick question related to the OP, my front sensors so far have only done weird random beeps when I am backing a trailer. Is that typical with everyone else, that it's only when you have a trailer connected do the front sensors do wacky beeps, or does it happen without a trailer as well?

Ahh, so you have surge brakes. I believe it’s the detection of electric trailer brakes that the truck uses for trailer detection.

Mine has only done the false beeping when I’m backing without a trailer.

racerdude321

Reaction score

Same here.
Had it happen multiple times, usually one of these two:
Backing up a hay trailer in an open field with short grass, nothing around the front of the truck for hundreds of feet and the passenger front sensor is going off.
Backup up my boat trailer down the boat ramp, nothing close to the truck for 15-20ft and yet again the passenger front sensor is going off.
Doesn't seem to matter if anything is plugged into the lights/brake 7 pin. Rear sensors turned off.

Overall I love my truck but it does have its quirks like all brands do.

Savin yours

Reaction score
My front sensors go crazy when I’m hooked up to my 5th wheel, I just turn them off. Good to know it’s not just me....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread