Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front lower valence and possible replacement

phatboy64

Reaction score
So I had an issue a few weeks back with a p2002 code. One of the possible issues was a bad intercooler and that possibly a rock kicked up and punctured a hole in it. Thankfully it was not the issue. But that got me thinking about removing that valence and installing a CJC intercooler skid plate.
One shop I talked to said removing OEM valence would impact my mileage by 1 or 2 MPGs. I find that hard to believe but what do I know. So my question is “what say you”. Anyone have experience removing it and getting hit on the MPGs?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
If you spend a lot of time at 55+ you will notice a loss of mpg, if you spend a lot of time around town you won’t notice it.

They do help improve airflow around and under the truck, simple aerodynamics , but many folks don’t notice much, if any, loss in mileage based on driving habits.

If you’re leveled or lifted they have less of an effect too. Their proximity to the ground is important, and why they hang so low.

So, what’s more important to you?

My personal driving uses of the truck would probably see minimal drop as I don’t spend many of my miles cruising empty at highway-interstate speeds… but I’ve never hit it on even some nasty back roads, so I’ll take what mileage it gives me… for now.

phatboy64

Reaction score
If you spend a lot of time at 55+ you will notice a loss of mpg, if you spend a lot of time around town you won’t notice it.

They do help improve airflow around and under the truck, simple aerodynamics , but many folks don’t notice much, if any, loss in mileage based on driving habits.

If you’re leveled or lifted they have less of an effect too. Their proximity to the ground is important, and why they hang so low.

So, what’s more important to you?

My personal driving uses of the truck would probably see minimal drop as I don’t spend many of my miles cruising empty at highway-interstate speeds… but I’ve never hit it on even some nasty back roads, so I’ll take what mileage it gives me… for now.
So I spend a lot of my milage on the highway. Probably 65%, for me safety I.e. not getting stuck on the side of the road on a Sunday is most important to me. Just trying to figure out cost/benefit.

BTW. I have over 500k on HD rams and never had a intercooler issue. So I either just answer my question or jinxed myself

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
So for the Power wagon, which has a 2" factory lift and is almost level, would removing it really make a difference? Thinking of removing mine for clearance issues.

I understand the aero issue. But the PW is already lifted, and then i put taller tires on it, so it probably does more for looks than aero at this point.

On my wifes 2004 Chevy, a 44$ Z71, it didn't have the lower valance where the 2WD trucks did.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
So for the Power wagon, which has a 2" factory lift and is almost level, would removing it really make a difference? Thinking of removing mine for clearance issues.

I understand the aero issue. But the PW is already lifted, and then i put taller tires on it, so it probably does more for looks than aero at this point.

On my wifes 2004 Chevy, a 44$ Z71, it didn't have the lower valance where the 2WD trucks did.
You would likely see minimal impact removing it.

phatboy64

Reaction score

So I am kind of in the same boat. I am in the process of putting a Carli 3.25 backcountry kit with 37’. So it will be 5.25” lifted in the front…so I am not sure how much it will/will not make a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread