Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front grill trim removal

diablo82

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience remove the front grill chrome trim on both side of the "RAM"? I was able to remove the original chrome letters and replace them with black one. But those two on the side, no matter how hard I plied it just won't come off.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20201002_190013.jpg
    20201002_190013.jpg
    397 KB · Views: 105

Wrayzor

Reaction score
You'll probably have to pull the grill as you will fight 6 clips on each trim piece and they are beefier than the letters.
IMG_1848.JPG

diablo82

Reaction score
You'll probably have to pull the grill as you will fight 6 clips on each trim piece and they are beefier than the letters.
View attachment 7847
Thanks for the pic! I took the ram air plastic and top trim off and was able to to bend the grill forward. I can actually reach these clip with my hand but no matter how hard I press they just won't budge. Unfortunately it seems like grill removal is the only solution. I would have to do more research on how to remove the lower center trim and those two plastic panels next to it. I tried to pop them out last time with trim removal tool without success. They sure hold on tight and I was worry I am gonna crack it...

diablo82

Reaction score
I ran across this video and posted it a while back for other reasons. But they cover removing all the same pieces you're concerned about, I think. Maybe it will help.
This is by far the best video I saw so far. I didn't even know that there are actual cross slot cut out to reach those bolt under the grill lower trim. Thank you so much!

cummins2020

Reaction score
Thanks for the pic! I took the ram air plastic and top trim off and was able to to bend the grill forward. I can actually reach these clip with my hand but no matter how hard I press they just won't budge. Unfortunately it seems like grill removal is the only solution. I would have to do more research on how to remove the lower center trim and those two plastic panels next to it. I tried to pop them out last time with trim removal tool without success. They sure hold on tight and I was worry I am gonna crack it...
Yes, you should remove the grill...those little tabs are stout as can be...I believe they are metal as well...good luck and be gentle with the plastic parts

diablo82

Reaction score
Yes, you should remove the grill...those little tabs are stout as can be...I believe they are metal as well...good luck and be gentle with the plastic parts
I was actually able to remove the trim under the grill and those two beside it. Removing those two side trim definitely the hardest in this task. I feel like I had a heart attack for each side when I pull them out. 20201007_162649.jpg
Going to finish pulling out the grill later on.

diablo82

Reaction score
I like the flat black better. I do wish the side trim would come in darker black instead of blueish.

lgarrison34

Reaction score
Those are definitely meant to be painted. They will fade in the sun unpainted as they are ABS plastic. I have a set to put on my truck when it gets delivered. Haven't decided if I want to paint them satin black to match the "RAM" or gloss black to match the grill.

diablo82

Reaction score
Those are definitely meant to be painted. They will fade in the sun unpainted as they are ABS plastic. I have a set to put on my truck when it gets delivered. Haven't decided if I want to paint them satin black to match the "RAM" or gloss black to match the grill.
Aww man, do I really have to pull the grill out again....

diablo82

Reaction score
View attachment 8091
I did the same thing and ended up having a shop paint them gloss black to match the rest of the grille.
That looks great! I do like the idea of those trim pieces matching the rest of the glossy grill fins. But for now I think I am going to try satin black for both R A M and trim pieces and get a feel of it first.

Users who are viewing this thread