Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front audio dropout while CarPlay phone unlocked

jsalbre

Reaction score
I’ve had a weird issue for a while where occasionally the front audio on my Uconnect 5 will drop out as though there are navigation directions being given. This happens no matter what source is selected. I’ve struggled to reproduce it, so I haven’t bothered to take it to the dealer.

Tonight while looking at something completely unrelated I realized that it happens whenever my phone is connected to CarPlay (playing or not) and I unlock it. As soon as I lock the screen the sound goes back to normal, and unlocking it immediately cuts the front speakers out again.

Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

MooneyFWD

Reaction score
Mine has done this a few times on a UC4 12.1 I swapped into my truck. I always thought it was due to the stereo I installed using a DSR1. I haven't noticed a way to replicate it on mine, but its pretty annoying when the subs cut out and it only plays audio through my front left dash speaker!

Wanderlust073

Reaction score
I’ve had weird carplay issues across multiple vehicles. Phone randomly disconnecting and having to be unplugged/replugged. Music all of a sudden jumping to full volume without touching a thing. Music being replaced by a deafening wall of static (think this took a year off my dog’s life). All treble suddenly disappearing and nothing but low end playing.

All of them ‘cured’ by having the vehicle powered off for 20min or so.

Personally I won’t ever be buying anything that lets CarPlay take over actual vehicle instrumentation as is planned.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Only time that happens on mine is when my wife is playing Apple Music plugged into my cord/carplay and if she opens Amazon on her phone. Sounds funny but when the audio drops out I ask her “did you just open Amazon?” Yep.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Glad to see there’s absolutely no consistency with these issues. Makes it way more fun to troubleshoot.

Back in the truck today and had no issues with audio drops at all.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
I've found a few things that will do it as well as differing behavior across vehicles/phones. For me its usually one of the two

1. Wireless Carplay - My 12 Pro just has wierd issues with it, In my wifes ford it's navigation where any map/nav app thinks I'm going down the highway backwards, some audio cutout but very infrequently. In my Ram when it had the 8.4 Non Nav it would cut out all the time, lag or just freeze, navigation issues like the ford. In my Ram post 12.1 upgrade its more reliable, but I still get occasional GPS oddities or audio drops. This being the case my 12 Pro is always using wired car play. My wifes 13 usually works wireless 9 times out of 10, but she still gets odd connection issues once in a blue moon.
  2. Notifications from other apps - I've noticed that notifications that aren't allowed while running carplay can still cause audio issues as can certain apps that are trying to use the microphone that are not carplay/phonekit compatible. The biggest offenders here are work chat/messaging applications when I'm traveling. I've also heard social media apps can do this as well, but I don't have any on my phone. I've started setting up calendar based muting inside the apps/platforms to resolve that issue.

MooneyFWD

Reaction score
Only time that happens on mine is when my wife is playing Apple Music plugged into my cord/carplay and if she opens Amazon on her phone. Sounds funny but when the audio drops out I ask her “did you just open Amazon?” Yep.
Yes! The amazon app starts using the mic and it screws with the audio.

baker01

Reaction score
I had all sorts of issues with wireless CarPlay (iPhone xs max). I turned the wireless off and use the USB connection and 99% of my issues went away. I do still have issues when streaming music or using nav at times. These issues are from the phone overheating. If I point an A/C vent on the phone i have no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread